Author Topic: time to think about a new suspension.  (Read 934 times)

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
time to think about a new suspension.
« on: May 12, 2007, 02:45:20 AM »
as u all know i have a b5 a4 2000 atw with apr's stage 3 turbo kit.  recently i have put on brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors on all 4 wheels with green stuff brake pads and love every second i spend slowing down. however i still have not upgraded my suspension.  i am wearing my stock sport quattro suspension out pretty quick at only 47000 miles.  i am starting to bob up and down longer then usual after bumps in the road.  heres the problem! i dont want to go any lowere then low stock suspension is sitting on my 18's.  i would like to purchase some shocks and springs that are stronger for my turbo and still sit at stock height.(dont want to go lower because i hit my rs4 front bumper on just about everything already!!!!!!!!!)

I dont know much about the suspension for the b5 A4 and hope you all can help me here.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: time to think about a new suspension.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:55:05 AM »
use your stock springs and go with bilsteins for shocks.  If you are looking for springs, I feel Vogtland makes some great springs, and I believe they have a stock "sport suspension" height option available with a higher spring rate than OEM...as well as progressive rates as another option.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:55:05 AM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »
use your stock springs and go with bilsteins for shocks.  If you are looking for springs, I feel Vogtland makes some great springs, and I believe they have a stock "sport suspension" height option available with a higher spring rate than OEM...as well as progressive rates as another option.

Adding the Bilsteins w/ stock sport springs are a great addition. The other option is the new Koni FSD which is designed to work with the OEM sport ride heights. Some folks like feel of the Koni Yellows (adj) more than Bilsteins. The Bil's have a sportier feel as they are gas changed, the Koni's have a softer feel as they are part gas (above the piston) and part oil (below the piston). This comes down to personal preference. Having had both setups they are both good.  I also have a Vogtland/bilstein setup on my wifes car and it handles well, but the stroke length of the bilsteins could be shorter.  I might swap the bilsteins out for Koni's though (if we decide to keep the car).