Author Topic: been 2 weeks since putting the BBK on the car  (Read 1046 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
been 2 weeks since putting the BBK on the car
« on: May 18, 2007, 01:47:59 AM »
About 2 weeks ago I put new brakes on the car.  Figured it was time for a report on how they are doing now that they are properly bedded.  All I have to say is WOW!

Overall I went in to this expected better feel and less fade, and also longer wear (I had warped 4 sets of the stock front rotors in 80K miles).  It turns out I got all that I wanted, AND:

I also got massively improved braking distances - I can't believe how quickly these will haul the car down from speed.  I am now really wishing I had taken some measurements of the stopping distances with the old setup so I could compare to this.  some numbers to validate what I feel would be a good thing.

Additionally, unexpectedly, I also got improved accelleration. These rotors are much lighter than stock, so less unsprung weight for the engine to turn. Car got faster with better brakes!

It really was well worth the price. The car should have come this way from the factory!

a pic of the fronts:

the specs:

FRONTS:
STaSIS TrackSport 13" Mono4 front brake kit for B5/B6/B7 A4/S4/A6 2.7T; 2 Alcon Monobloc 4-piston calipers, 2 13" x 32mm Alcon directionally vented/gas slotted floating rotors, 2 STaSIS directionally vented mounting hats, 2 STaSIS caliper mounting brackets and hardware, SBS Pro-Touring high performance brake pads, Goodridge braided/coated stainless steel brake lines

REARS:
a used set of S4 calipers + STaSIS TrackSport 11.7" rear brake kit for AR 2.7T; 2 STaSIS 298mm x 20mm vented/gas slotted rotors, 2 STaSIS rotor mounting hats, 2 STaSIS carrier mounting brackets, Ferodo 2500 high performance brake pads, Goodridg braided stainless steel brake lines

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: been 2 weeks since putting the BBK on the car
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:15:13 AM »
nice.  I seriously was just thinking this morning "I wonder how the brakes are doing on Andrew's ar?"

glad to hear you got all you wanted, and more.  They do look wonderful.

I wonder how or if your old brakes would work for the A4 guys....might be a decent upgrade for them if they fit.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:15:13 AM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 10:55:28 AM »
nice. How do you like the overall modulation of the SBS pads?

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:45:38 AM »
they are great.  no complaints at all.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein