Author Topic: M3 Paddle shifters in Audi S4...wtih some pics even  (Read 2125 times)

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
M3 Paddle shifters in Audi S4...wtih some pics even
« on: May 18, 2007, 01:40:46 PM »
So I got the paddles a couple of days ago and decided to take a break from my resto-mod crew cab tow rig project and do some initial test fitting of the paddles for you guys last night.[:D] Besides, until we finish the body and paint I was at a stopping point.

Okay, back on subject.

Disconnect the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take the airbag out. It is only 2 T-30 torx screws and 1 plug.

Behind the wheel you will see that there are 3 spokes (duh) made of metal and ALL the surrounding material is a foam rubber material. (Please forgive the dirty car, I have been very busy with other projects)

I took an exacto knife and cut a hole in the foam for the paddle to mount in.  The paddle mounts are mirror images of each other. I took the (-) left one, flipped it over and traced it as close as I could where the right (+) paddle will go.  The nice thing is the piece comes out in a perfect "cookie cutter" mold. When I was done test fitting last night I put the piece back and it looks like it was never cut out.

The paddle mount without the paddle will slip through the hole. You have to attache the paddle on the back side. This is where I stopped last night.  I seem to be missing the one and only drill pit I needed to mount them. You can see there are 2 holes at the bottom of the paddle mount. Those line up perfectly with the metal spoke on the steering wheel. I just need to drill and tap the holes to permanently mount them. (nice that they came with the screws too.).

The paddle bolt in the picture is not all the way in since I was just test fitting.

From the back side you will be able to just barely see the hinge. I doubt anyone will every really see it since it is on the back side, but I think I am going to paint them black and maybe create a little rubber seal just to make it totally factory and blend.

I still need to figure out the wiring and if I am going to do anything at all with the buttons. I still kind of like being able to just cruise with 1 hand on the wheel and up/down shift so I may just leave them working.

This is just a quick shot of what it will look like. The airbag is just sitting in there in this shot. There are all kinds of companies making custom BMW paddles. So I may replace these levers with brushed aluminum ones to match the rest of the car.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: M3 Paddle shifters in Audi S4...wtih some pics even
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »
Nice work Cole!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:30 PM »
Interesting.....I think it is cool you got those to fit through there.  Guess you are keeping the S and not looking at a turbo MINI anymore?

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 09:13:40 PM »
almost makes me want a tip.

well, not really.  but nice job.  those are sweet.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »
Nice work! Paddle shifters rock. And clean your car, sheesh!  ;D
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 10:51:22 PM »
that is one of the cleanest mods i have seen in a while.  nice work, and i cannot wait to see the finished product.