Author Topic: B6 A4 Triple Gauge Install  (Read 2323 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
B6 A4 Triple Gauge Install
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:33:16 AM »
As some of you know, I've been working on an new gauge installation for the A4. I don't like any of the existing options out there and if you want to run more than two gauges, it's a custom job anyway. This mount is fully reversible and actually looks quite attractive and when finished will retain an OEM look.

Last night we fit the fourth prototype which needed very little adjustment after originally cut. Mark (madigan) did the drawings on the ole 'puter and did the initial cut. We originally cut out of clear, acrylic plastic about 1/4" thick. For this one, Mark decided to try 1/4" high density MDF fiber board. This is much sturdier and has a better feel to it although a bit heavier than the acrylic.

As far as fitment goes, we beveled the rear of the bottom edge to get it to sit flush with the dash and create a lip look along the bottom. The top sits flush and even with the dash. All the corners have been beveled and rounded giving it a nice finished feel, but also enabling it to be primarily pressure fit. Although this pressure fit works, we're going to come up with a way to secure it from behind.

It's not done yet. Mark's going to work on the finishing which will include, primer, high-gloss black paint and a nice baking to finish it off. We're also designing an attractive way to retain some of the venting in the center assembly.

Additionally, we got all the electrical and boost routed last night. I will say that it's easier to get in and around my B6 that it was the Passat.

'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: B6 A4 Triple Gauge Install
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:27 AM »
thank god you don't live in Arizona....you would be missing those center vents ;)

Looks sharp.  You should wrap the panel in leather.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:27 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 11:45:05 AM »
 ;D If I lived in AZ, it wouldn't matter if I had any vents at all- it's just hot there :P

I thought about leather, but I also kind of want it to match the Piano Black trim I already have.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »
Carbon fiber!  ;D

Have it match the pilars.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 06:52:41 PM »
That's actually not a bad idea, Dave.  That would be super easy to do in carbon.  Even an amateur could make it look pro.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 09:15:47 PM »
looks good man. but i really like the air flow from those vents. I always have the climate control going and the windows closed to keep the dust and dirt out.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:52:31 PM »
You could make it out of expanded mesh. (RS4 type stuff or smaller) Put a supporting edge around the outside. That way you still get the benefit of the vents.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 02:07:24 AM »
Yup. The vent situation and everything has already been addressed and we believe a solution is found  ;D Many finishes have been considered and since this is the P-Type, we might see how much demand there is and make a few more :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 09:48:04 AM »
That is a real clean look, I must say.  How did you address the air situation?  I would think that if the center vent tube was plugged off, the other vents would just push harder.