Author Topic: itching for a new car (new TT, A6, 328xi, etc)  (Read 932 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
itching for a new car (new TT, A6, 328xi, etc)
« on: June 19, 2007, 03:00:34 AM »
I am (again) having more thoughts about getting a new car, most likely after the new year.  Hard to believe that my car is more than 6 years old now.
I am either looking at a smaller sportier car most likely a coupe (but it must seat 4 in a pinch), or a larger luxury sedan with the all bells and whistles.  Styling and fit & finish are a must and it should be FWD or preferably AWD.
I have been thinking of the following cars and what to do with it:

2008 TT coupe
After reading many magazine articles about it, I am really lusting for the new TT.  However, after seeing one parked in the neighborhood recently I was a bit disappointed with the styling -- not as destinctive as the original and the interior lost a lot of the aluminum touches that has been replaced with plastic.  But it is much improved (at least in performance and handling) than the original TT and the base price is relatively reasonable.

2007 Limited Edition TT 3.2L DSG Quattro
I spotted a couple low milage examples on eBay for a good deal.  Only 99 each of the coupe and roadster has been produced, but I think the coupe is the most destinctive as from the window sills upwards is painted black.  I would like to further customize it with an aftermarket W12 large grille, RS4 wheels, and an aftermarket stereo/Nav system.  The combination of the V6, DSG and Quattro sounds like an excellent performer.

2005 Audi A6 3.2L Quattro
All the features you could ask for, sleek styling and beautifully finished interior.
Considering all the features you could get for it, it's a relative steal compared to a BMW or Mercedes.  I would slap on a RS6 grille, add RS4 wheels, chrome mirrors, and paint the roof panel black (a la my Passat).  But I am afraid that it would not be that much of a change from my Passat at first glance, and it's a little larger than my Passat which I am trying to downsize.

2005 Mercedes E500 4-matic wagon
I'm not much of a fan of the E-class, but the wagon is rather nicely styled.  A low mileage loaded example could be had at a good price.  I have been hearing mixed reviews regarding the quality and reliability of Mercedes made in the past 5 years.

2007 BMW 328xi coupe
My brother just bought a 328i hardtop convertible, which I thought the convertible option was not worth the almost $10,000 premium and with the top up is nowhere as sleek or attractive as the coupe.  I'd rather save the money and get the 335i V6 twin turbo, but my choice would be the AWD 328xi.

2007 Volvo S60 R
Hard to come by, especially when I would like one with either the dark blue or natural saddle brown interior, with the spoiler package and Nav.  The only downside is the rather dated looking dash.  If Volvo made an R version of the S40 that would be perfect, but Volvo has discontinued the R for 2008.

2008 Volvo C30
A very unique hatch and could be factory customized to the gills, but with a base price of $22,000 and fully loaded at a whopping $20,000 more it's rather pricey for a small hatch without a luxury marque.  Magazine reviews has been rather mixed and it's not available with AWD.  At the highter end I could easily get myself into a 3.2L DSG Quattro S-line A3.

Maybe I should wait a couple years more until Alfa Romeo returns to the North American market (hopefully)...

<sigh>...

Sh#t, I should've made this a guessing game...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 03:02:21 AM by aowhaus »
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
Re: itching for a new car (new TT, A6, 328xi, etc)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:05:36 AM »
I wouldn't get a mercedes.  I think they drive great, look good... but across the board their cars have lots of problems.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:05:36 AM »

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
we are currently looking at the Volvo's. i really like them and the current pricing is really good.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
we are currently looking at the FORD's. i really like them and the current pricing is really good.

I fixed your post ;), being as Ford has a huge influence on Volvo these days from what I understand.

honestly, I would be all over a V70R right now if I could afford one.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:49:40 PM »
Alan, those are some tough criteria you have there.  I keep trying to think of other options but everything I come up with is rwd.

Out of those choices I'd go with the BMW ours has been nearly flawless and is really a fun car to drive.

FWIW, I wouldnt call the rear seats in the TT to be 2 seats that can be used in a pinch.  I once had to ride to lunch in the back of a TT and literally, I couldnt have fit another person back there with me.  in order to fit, I had to put my knees up to my chest and sit sideways taking up both seats.  not comfy.  dont do that to any friends anywhere near my size.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein