Author Topic: Thoughts on exhaust. (Now with installed pics!!!)  (Read 7215 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Thoughts on exhaust. (Now with installed pics!!!)
« on: May 27, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »
I have been thinking about upgrading the exhaust on the GTI 337.  I really am not looking to alter the sound, just open the flow up a bit.  I have been looking around, but I would like to have any input from folks who have more experience with either looking or installing exhausts.

I understand the any alteration to the exhaust would alter the sound.  I guess I just do not want to make an annoying buzzing or droning sounds just a nice burble at idle and a complementing rumble at throttle.

Thanks for any input.

Now the pics:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:07:34 PM by SweetVW »
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

A4play

• Stock
Re: Thoughts on exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »
I've had some great luck with Borla on my A4 and my buddies Legacy, it sounds real nice, but not loud, and its not annoying inside the car.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:01:13 PM »
Milltek, that is all :)  Pat is running Milltek on his 1.8T audi, sounds great.  I also have a Milltek on the MINI, totally different of course, but also sounts great.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 10:08:03 PM »
I think APR has one of the best sounds for the 1.8T.  But if I was going to get an exhaust for a 1.8T, I would go Milltek and no one else.  It looks absolutely amazing, and the single round tip looks absolutely amazing on the 337/20th body kit.

go Milltek, trust me it is well worth the money.  Sound is really good too.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

RobD

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »
Dave - I've been looking for an exhaust for my wifes bug convertible too.  I've been looking for a deal on Milltek but nothing especially for the bug.  I've seen some deals on VWVortex but they seem to go quickly.  Milltek raised their prices early this year too.  Was $499.00 for a cat-back now $649.00.   My guess is due in large part to the dramatic increases in stainless steel prices (driven up by huge increases in nickel - the main componet for type 304 stainless).

You say you want to free up the flow of your exhaust.  From what I understand the downpipe is the main restriction even on the 337.  Wouldn't upgrading to a higher flow dp with free flow cat be the best bang for your buck?  Obviously doing a turbo back system would give the best performance but it can add up. 

I saw APR had their BBQ sale about a month ago and ordered a turbo back system from SCR Performance.  The TB system was 10% off and already a good chunck less expensive than milltek.  It should hopefully be in next week and will have Mark put it in.  I'll let you know what i think once it's in.

Rob 

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:55:39 AM »
I have the milltek on my 1.8T and it sounds great. I would highly recommend it. I have also had a Autotech on my 1.8T Jetta. It sounded good but had a little drone at 3500rpms. I would do the Milltek on my next car without even looking at other options.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 11:41:50 AM »
Thermal R&D ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »
I personally like the sound of a remus exhaust on the 1.8T  sosunds great.

the other one I like is whatever Andrew (34k) put on his car.  wow, that thing sounds downright mean on there.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
I'm pretty fond of my 42DD 3" system which uses a Flowmaster muffler.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 12:36:11 PM »
Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

Looking at the Milltek sight and they have what is called a turbo back and a cat back exhaust.  What is the difference?  Also, I have read that unless you have a BT setup, 3" would not be needed.  That the 2.5" system would work fine.  For as much as I would love to go BT the cost is more than I can do right now.  Would I get that much more out of a 3" system or would I just be throwing money away?

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »
turbo back includes a high performance cat and downpipes, cat back is only the muffler and pipe and keeps the stock downpipes.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 12:46:09 PM »
some turbo back exhausts have 02 sensor issues, and require a bung or fitting to move the 02 sensor out a bit...not sure if the turbo-back milltek requires that, but call Stratmosphere, they have the low down on all milltek systems.

www.stratmosphere.com

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 01:37:35 PM »
They are my leading source so far.  I can take a good guess about this, but what is the difference between resonated and non-resonated?  I asume it has something to control the overall sound.

Oh, and for laughs, I listened to the Miltek R32 sound clip.  All I can say is, "Can I have a towel?  I think I messed my shorts!"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:30:56 PM by StarlightB5 »

Denvernoob

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »
Thermal R&D ;D

i cant speak for the 337, but the thermals i have seen have unmatched build quality (even as compared to APR and others), nice polished SS throughout, and not droney (at least mine isnt).  i love mine to death and wouldnt trade it for the world.  it exists for the 337 with a HFC, im sure it can be built without one if you so choose.
004.5 QMT6 Ultrasport Loaded
GIAC FX K04 w/ Injectors, K04-15
and about a million other big and little mods!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »
Dave, I can only speak for B5 A4s.  The quietest I've ever heard is the mTm, followed VERY closely by the Milltek and APR.  All are of excellent quality.  The mTm is the best IMO, but it's cost is rediculous.  That's why I went Milltek.
Of course, things may be different for the 337.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:56:04 AM »
having listened to mine and denvernoobs on the dyno his is MUCH louder than mine. If you want an aggressive sound the Thermal/AWE is great. If you want mellow and low key then look at the Milltek like Pat and i are running on the 1.8T's. Both are very good quality, but have large sound differences. Personally for me the Thermal system while it sounds great, is just too loud. The APR and the Milltek are much quieter. But also keep in mind the APR on the 337 is louder than the Milltek on the 337. The APR falls in between the Milltek and the Thermal.

I have a testpipe right now and while the power gains were very good, i will be welding in a HFC here shortly. I think my granola side is starting to come back out. It's time to pull out my birkenstocks and wool socks again. ;D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 01:32:24 AM »
It's time to pull out my birkenstocks and wool socks again. ;D

I still wear mine
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 10:02:13 AM »
This is some great information!  I am leaning towards the Milltek.  Thanks again guys for all of the wonderful feedback.

Though I do not currently own a pair of Birkenstocks, my 6 year old daughter does and loves them.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 10:15:19 AM »
I have a pair of birkenstocks that I have had since 1988 :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »
I have a pair of birkenstocks that I have had since 1988 :)

Dang! Mine only date back to 2001 ;D My last set was circa 1995.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 04:44:43 PM »
I'm proud to say I have never owned a pair of birkenstocks

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 10:23:48 PM »
my birks are circa 1993. I was still in HS then. I wore then last weekend and they were amazingly comfortable.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »
my birks are circa 1993. I was still in HS then. I wore then last weekend and they were amazingly comfortable.

Hmmm...I was a fresh/soph in 1993. Birks rule. I've worn through the soles of both sets ;D Still the most comfy sandal EVER.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 10:49:48 PM »
1993...STILL in HS?  Sheesh.  I think I had finished my first degree by then and was working on the second.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »
I'm proud to say I have never owned a pair of birkenstocks

I have 2 pairs...both from the late 80's...one I hardly ever wore, still look new.  The others are pretty much trashed, but can't seem to get rid of them.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 11:42:06 PM »
I have 2 pairs...both from the late 80's...one I hardly ever wore, still look new.  The others are pretty much trashed, but can't seem to get rid of them.

Have you done the "Just replace the soles" thing and kept the uppers? I was considering doing that with my old pair. I wore them so much over four years, the sole was gone.

...and you're still sportin' the 80's beard. Well, so am I but I was an 80's kid so for me it's cool ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 01:01:41 PM »
Alright, I did done it.  I ordered from Stratmosphere a Milltek 2.5" resonated cat back exhaust and a Milltek 2.5" downpipe/cat.  It should be here some time next week.  "Paging Randy!"

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 11:52:51 PM »
good choice.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2007, 01:28:52 AM »
Alright, I did done it.  I ordered from Stratmosphere a Milltek 2.5" resonated cat back exhaust and a Milltek 2.5" downpipe/cat.  It should be here some time next week.  "Paging Randy!"
well done Dave, well done!!!!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2007, 01:33:34 AM »
Awesome Dave!