Author Topic: Camping Location Recommendations  (Read 1497 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Camping Location Recommendations
« on: May 29, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »
So it has been a couple years since I last camped. Renee's school schedule, health issues and just plain life have kept us from enjoying nature.

In 3 days Renee is DONE WITH SCHOOL! Woot! Graduating from DU!

Anyway, we want to get back to enjoying life, it has been a stressful few years. Since she wraps up this weekend, we plan on heading out camping the following weekend. Most of our camping in the past has been at the base of trails for wheeling. We aren't going to be wheeling this trip, just getting out of dodge for a day or two with the dee oh gee.

So I'm looking for some recommendations of decent, not overly crowded locations. We can rough it, meaning we don't need plumbing or anything like that, but we aren't adverse to plotted camp grounds our first few times with the pup either.

TIA!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Camping Location Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:18 PM »
I've always been partial to the Collegiate Peaks campground outside Buena Vista. There are some real nice places outside of Georgetown up on that pass...but it could be kinda cold still.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:18 PM »

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:10:25 PM »
We've gone to Shadow Mountain just outside of Grandby for a couple of years running.  Nice campgrounds, reservoir, and quiet.  Last year was a bit of a bummer though because of the amount of trees they had to cut down and the amount of brown from the pine beetles.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »
It has been to long since I have been camping.  any place I'd suggest is likely to have significantly changes since I was last there.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »
My dilemma as well, I have a few places we can go try, but they were getting pretty crowded a few years ago so I can only imagine what they are like now.

I like the recs so far, we'll probably want to stay below 11 even 10K ft for now. Still any recommendation is welcome because it helps us out for later dates.

Especially now that our big vacation has been canceled thanks to the pooch getting hurt and our water heater dying this weekend.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »
There's a campground I like to go to near Lake Wellington, which is in the Pike National Forest.

GPS details:

3917'53.07"N
10519'53.82"W

Great spot with good views, although you need a 4x4 to get up to it.  I used 4 Low.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 10:41:51 PM »
I can give you a few recommendations on places to camp in Japan, but I dont think that will help you.  I know when I was in the states, I would go to the Forestry Service's website.  They usually have a list of camp sites sorted by difficulty and location.  I used to do quite  bit of camping in the Evergreen area as well, but alas, it has been years since those days and I cant even remember the names of the places.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 10:58:22 PM »
There's a campground I like to go to near Lake Wellington, which is in the Pike National Forest.

GPS details:

3917'53.07"N
10519'53.82"W

Great spot with good views, although you need a 4x4 to get up to it.  I used 4 Low.

Thanks Dub, trusty Google maps knows where it is. :) We would most likely be taking the Scout wherever we go. We just weren't planning on wheeling on the trip, if we need to to get to our destination that's not a big deal.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 11:53:16 PM »
Well we are still trying to find a spot. We were hoping for something that is easy to bail out from if things go terribly wrong. We are also trying to stay at a little lower elevation (under 10K feet).

It's beginning to look like we will be roughing it for sure as all the state and federal campgrounds seem to be booked. Of course I have no idea which ones are any good. We hoped to go to Golden Gate Canyon, but it appears to be full.

We'll find something I'm sure, I just need to get re-acquainted with nature.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »
Ok, looks like we decided on a place, in Wyoming. Figure where we are going is about 2.5 - 3 hours away which is not unlike the drive to many places in Colorado. It should be much less crowded and it will be car camping for sure (drive up, get out and pitch the tent).