Author Topic: I am DONE working on cars >:(  (Read 6116 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
I am DONE working on cars >:(
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:36:30 PM »
I was helping Eric replace his coilovers with another set of coil overs on his B6 suspension...and on the last bolt on the rear driver shock, the bolt snapped in half, none of it visible enough to pull it out and put in a new one, so tried to use an extraction bit on it, no luck.  then decided to drill it out and re-tap it and put in a larger bolt to fit the new threads.  Well, that went horribly wrong, and the welded in receiving end where the bolt goes in snapped free of the unibody.  Meaning that there was no way to attach the upper portion of the shock.  I was using a simple 1/4" fitted socket for leverage on the tap, the handle is only about 3 inches long, and the welded section snapped completely free.  How frustrating.  On top of that, we managed to not fully tighten down the front shock bolt through the top hat, causing some rattling.

Ended up at Autobahn and Randy and Todd were fixing it.  After my fiasco with Pat's car, I am totally done working on cars for a while....well, german cars since they are such a pain.

my fingers hurt.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
Re: I am DONE working on cars >:(
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:07:02 PM »
jon -  it's all good. I really appreciate your help today and everything worked out fine in the end.

I think once this car is dead, i am going back to a car i can't upgrade. Also a car that is easier to work on.  ;D

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:07:02 PM »

BHase

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 12:09:08 AM »
That just means you're going to have to work 10 times as hard to modify that "car you can't modify".  I know. I feel the pain.
I'm not an expert in any field but drinking beer and breaking stuff so don't take my response as the best foundation for a conversation." - Jay

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:14:05 AM »
sorry to hear about your bad day Jon (and Eric).

If you feel the need to wrench on something already broken, feel free to come on up and lend a hand with the Rover. ::)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 09:27:06 AM »
If you feel the need to wrench on something already broken, feel free to come on up and lend a hand with the Rover. ::)

i thought you bought that thing to help out with the toting around and such. 

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »

i thought you bought that thing to help out with the toting around and such. 

I did.  But, it is a beater.  It runs well, but thats about it.  There is much wrenching to be done.  not to mention pounding out of dents, tracing electrical gremlins, securing loose pannels on the interior, then I can get to the list of upgrades - sliders, skid plates bumper & winch, upgraded lights, this will be a good project car.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:28:14 PM »
I would love to help wrench on the R...well, not really ;).  I still need to put in my adjustable Hotchkis camber plates and adjustable rear control arms on the MINI.  I need to do that before I really help anyone on any other projects.

Hopefully the R won't be too much of a pain for you....if it is, Just sell it and fina an FJ60 or something like that :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 12:35:24 PM »
personally, it I could have a dream project 4x4, I would want an FJ55..I LOVE them, very much :)

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 01:09:22 PM »
Hopefully the R won't be too much of a pain for you....if it is, Just sell it and fina an FJ60 or something like that :)

It wont be.  like I said it is running well, the rest is just cosmetics.
It does have a service appointment on Friday at a range rover specialty shopp to be sure I am correct about the running well part. ;D

Denvernoob

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 01:26:33 PM »
I did.  But, it is a beater.  It runs well, but thats about it.  There is much wrenching to be done.  not to mention pounding out of dents, tracing electrical gremlins, securing loose pannels on the interior, then I can get to the list of upgrades - sliders, skid plates bumper & winch, upgraded lights, this will be a good project car.

sounds like a rover to me!  I had a 1996 Disco 1 5spd manual back in the day....i loved it to death....especially since it was the last MY of manual in the disco....but MAN were there issues.....issue after issue after issue...

we wont even get into my moms 2002 range rover HSE....that thing, while beautiful, was a POS>
004.5 QMT6 Ultrasport Loaded
GIAC FX K04 w/ Injectors, K04-15
and about a million other big and little mods!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
just in time for me to be done with working on cars....this shows up at my door step ;)

a hydrolic spring compressor.  5.5" travel, 1500lbs.  Not the best tool out there, but very affordable, and much faster for the springs I use on the MINI.  I did not want to go through the compressor part when I put on my adjustable camber plates and new top hats/spring perches.

Just ran a "dry check" and the thing is pretty amazing.  I will let you know how it goes.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »
personally, it I could have a dream project 4x4, I would want an FJ55..I LOVE them, very much :)

That's a very nice looking pig!
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 06:50:51 PM »
just in time for me to be done with working on cars....this shows up at my door step ;)

a hydrolic spring compressor.  5.5" travel, 1500lbs.  Not the best tool out there, but very affordable, and much faster for the springs I use on the MINI.  I did not want to go through the compressor part when I put on my adjustable camber plates and new top hats/spring perches.

Just ran a "dry check" and the thing is pretty amazing.  I will let you know how it goes.

I don't think the rover springs are going to fit in that.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 06:55:39 PM »
those are the small clamps, there are larger ones that came with it, up to 8" diameter I think.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
"Available for rental?" he wondered, remembering the 928 front shocks sitting on his service cart for the last eight months.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »
Possibly :)....it is located in Parker.  I want to get my MINI done first before I loan it out or use it on other cars.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »
Dang. I might have to install my springs before...wait, they're in Montana...oh well.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 07:29:02 PM »
I'm not working on anyone's car before i get a chance to do my own...my projects have been sitting since February. :(

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 12:28:11 AM »
I remember when I was helping Andrew 34k with something and a bolt snapped on a very expensive piece.... I think it was when I was helping aim the HIDs.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 02:23:13 AM »
My $0.02...

The failures on Pat's car and Eric's car had nothing to do with the people doing with work.  Cars get old (pat's) or are taken apart many times (eric's) and fatigue sets in.  It sucks, but there is very little that can be done about it.

I challenge anyone to brake a welded in nut with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet.  No one it that strong, sorry Jon - LOL

I am looking forward to seeing the MINI with the suspension work done.  So for a while Jon, put off joining WA.

- Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 02:56:50 AM »
Thanks Randy for the encouragement, haha.

after I get settled into the new job, the MINI is first priority...well, after we get our Veggie garden going.

I am still shooting for the end of July at the earliest, so as soon as I finish, I will set up an appointment for your first opening, and an alignment.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 03:29:12 PM »
Jon that Pig is a nice one.  Good luck finding one in that shape.  Usually the cancer has set in on them, but seeing how you are in Oncology, that may be the project for you!

I am dragging my feet selling the FJ60, but you can buy that if you want.  I will make you sign a first right of refusal if you ever want to sell it though.  I hate that I am selling it....grrrrr.

You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 07:13:17 PM »
I wish I had the money for yours, but things are tight for us right now...how much you asking for you fj60?

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 06:25:14 PM »
I remember when I was helping Andrew 34k with something and a bolt snapped on a very expensive piece.... I think it was when I was helping aim the HIDs.

Yeah... that frackin sucked. Oh well, after hunting down a broken housing and having it shipped from Germany with some VERY careful disasembly and the $1200.00 headlights are back in shape.   :-\

At least I have an extra adjustment screw now too, heh. You should see how I adjust them now with two light fingers like petting a kitten or playing Jenga.  ;D
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 09:30:35 PM »
Jon must've gotten over this since he's gone freakin' nuts with his Mini ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 09:44:04 PM »
LOL, yeah, I recovered with my own 12 step program!!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »
LOL, yeah, I recovered with my own 12 step program!!!

Step 1: "Order..."

Step 2: "Order..."

Step 3: "Call about...."

Step 4: "Order it"

Step 5: "Order..."

etc. etc. etc. ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar