Linked Events

• Dubs Along The Rockies: August 26, 2007

Author Topic: 6th Annual Dubs Along the Rockies - Aug 26, 2007  (Read 9785 times)

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
Re: 6th Annual Dubs Along the Rockies - Aug 26, 2007
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 11:15:32 PM »
Bump for tomorrow!
I'm beat from detailing for most of the day and the skin on my hands are about to fall off.  I'd guess we'll be meeting at the KK just before 7am.

It will be a scorcher tomorrow, so bring plenty of water/beverages and sunscreen.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 12:42:38 AM »
hey just curious, about what time does it usually end?
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2007, 12:42:38 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2007, 01:01:18 AM »
Here are the details from the site:

Sunday - August 26th
8:00 am - gates open
1000 am - judging begins
12:30 pm - registration closes
12:15 pm - 2nd raffle drawing
1:30 pm - judging closes
~2:00 pm - slow drags begins
3:00 pm - begin final raffle drawings
3:15 pm - begin awards ceremony
4:00 pm - after party begins (location TBA

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2007, 01:03:29 AM »
On that note, I WILL NOT be at Krispy Kreme in the morning. I have talked Renee into coming because I don't want her to be home alone so in order to make a compromise we are leaving at 8. I should be getting there about an hour after the caravan.

So if you're going to KK early I WILL NOT be there. Sorry if that ticks anyone off, but Renee busted her ass helping me clean the car this evening so I have to give a little. :D

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »
Jay,

It was nice to see you and Rene at the DATR.  I also talked to Alan. I'm glad that I was able to snag a couple of stickers as well.  I am displaying them proudly on my 2 rear quarter windows.  Also, I finally debadged the ride....no ghosting.

Hope to see you guys in the near future.

Scott

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2007, 10:12:02 PM »
That's awesome Scott, glad the debadging went well. We were happy that we had the chance to meet you finally and see the bug. Man did it look sweet rolling down I-25.

Seems like you had a nice productive day after heading out from the show.

As for DATR, it was hot...damn hot. All in all with how late everything was put together Mike (kt037 on most forums) really did a nice job stepping up and getting things in place for the show. The turnout was better than expected by everyone, including the planners. On our way down, as mentioned above, we passed Scott and Mike (redline) ended up behind us as we approached and finally got to the mall. Mike and I ended up parking next to each other and Renee and I brought the 10x10 tent so there was shade for everyone.

There were 80 bazillion MKIvs, but each one looked great. Far fewer MKII's than in the past and MKI's, well there was one.

Passat numbers were small too, but not unlike past years. Decent Air Cooled turnout as well.

In Audi-land the numbers were small, there were A4s and some S4's (at least one S4 I saw). I expected a much larger Audi turnout than there was. So that was disappointing. There was a Q7, which got grouped in the Touareg class, and since there were no T's showing won.

Other Audi, the class I was in, turned out to be a hodge podge with some good competition. I think there were 6 cars in teh other class:

1 RS6
1 Allroad Monstah! (Gragravar)
1 Audi (90) Coupe
1 A3
1 90 (redline)
1 S4 (me)

So as you can see that is a pretty hefty lineup. We stuck close to our cars as we knew judging would be tricky in the class. When the awards rolled around Andrew (Gragravar) walked away with runner up and I some how left with best in class for Other Audi.

Alan (aowhaus) received runner up in the Passat class as well, congrats Alan! Andrew (34K) has done a kickass job on his Monty MKII. Seeing it in person was the highlight of the day for me. Very nice work, though no award at this showing I think you'll be the one everyone else is trying to beat next year.

Again, I think it was a good turnout and for how late everything was put together the show turned out good. It was really hot, but frankly I like that better than the stories I heard about last year. It felt good to be able to show a car again, it;s too bad I had to wait all Summer to be able to do it. Hopefully the other local shows will start letting Audi's show.

I know the numbers are low, but since no one feels included owning an Audi it makes it tough to get the word out.

I only took a handful of pictures, it was just too hot out to take the time to take pictures. I will post up what I took soon. Mike (redline) and his super 1337 camera were bust taking pictures all day. I look forward to seeing those.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2007, 11:20:50 PM »
I was a totally lazy p you ess ess eye e and the heat really got to me, so while I saw everyone's car, I only took a handful of photos...or a couple handfuls' who has ten fingers? Or twelve for that matter...

Andrew (34K)'s Monty

Mike (redline)'s 1993 Audi 90 CS

MKIII

B5 S4

B5 Passat Variant

B5 Passat

W I D E B O D Y

S4 Avant-astic

A4
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:24:04 PM by gietl »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 12:41:46 AM »
I'll make up for it Jay.  I seem to have taken a lot of pics.  I will get them off the camera, resized and uploaded sometime tomorrow.  Also, congrats on the Audi: Other class win!  If the monster allroad had to lose to someone, at least it was to that sweet UrS!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 01:38:19 AM »
So it was a lot of fun! I am really glad I was able to get behind Jay (Gietl), else I don't think I would have been able to find the mall. I'm also glad for the 10x10 Jay and Renee brought, otherwise, I don't think i could have stayed the whole time in that brutal heat.

I started out from Elizabeth way early, and ended up behind Jay right before the event, and parked with them, and by a stroke of luck by Llynda(http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=39509930) with her TT, and we set up there. I got a chance to browse around at the cars that were there and was impressed with what some people had done with them. There were way too many Mark 4s and not nearly enough Audis. I really hope next year will end up bigger and more awards.

Congrats to Jay especially, you really deserved that award! but congrats to Andrew and Alan too!

I didn't take as many photos as I usually do, but I did manage to get some good shots. The best ones will end up on my car Flickr. Which you can find here:http://flickr.com/photos/audineverfollow/

Next year I am definitely coming back to kick some butt. ;) Already ordered some parts I have been wanting right after I got home.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 02:00:51 AM »
So here they are.

GTI mark V

RS4

Beetle

S4

VW

urS4 Jay (Gietl)

Allroad Andrew (gragravar)

Passat Alan (aowhaus)

like I said, I didn't get many photos. I will get a lot more at the Treffen. hope to see you all there!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:37:00 AM by redline »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 02:44:31 PM »
Awesome pics Mike -

those definately put mine into the category of snapshots, not photos. 

despite that, here are my pics from the show:

my allroad

Jay’s class winning UrS4:

Alan’s Passat

Andrew’s Mk2

This pretty bug won best air-cooled:

This A4 was over the top but did win best of show:

other cars:

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
Congrats to Jay and Andrew.  The cars looked great!
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 04:12:26 PM »
I hear you about the heat. I'm nursing a nice new sun burn. :-[ Seemed like every time I got out in the sun i had to sit back down for 20 minutes. I must have not been properly hydrated.

Thanks for posting the pics guys!

I'm sure the look i'm going for with the mk2 is not going to be for everyone. I'm really trying to come up with some stuff that you don't see on everybody's cars. I don't expect to see trophies and certainly not magazine layouts with it, but it's great to hear ya'all liked it. :D

savin' these!

Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 08:50:39 PM »
Congrats to Jay and Alan and gragravar(not sure of your name) for taking place/winning classes. Andrew (34k) nice to see your car in person after watching the build all these months on here and DZ, looks good (and do what you like not what the masses like).
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2007, 12:04:09 AM »
It was a great time, even though it was hot as hell (at least we didn't get that nasty hail storm that plague last year's show).
Eventhough attendance was down from previous years and there were a lot less sponsors, the organizers did a good job nonetheless in putting together an enjoyable show.  It was great seeing everyone and meeting new fellow Passat and other VW/Audi owners.

I have a wicked bright red triangular patch on my upper chest from being out in the sun all day long, luckily the rest of me was covered in SPF35.

The best in show A4 was indeed over-the-top with yards and yards of imitation Burberry fabric/leather covering almost every inch of the interior.  The owner was even coordinated with a matching Burberry shirt and cellphone holder.  The company that did the customizing does all kinds of over-the-top cars.  Definately not my cup of tea, but I appreciated the work that was put into it.

There was a 2008 VW R32 which was understated but very nice.
On the way back home I was following the Fry Bug, a NB fueled by cooking oil, and it did indeed smell like french fries -- I almost made a stop at Mc-D's as I was really craving some fries!

Scott, you wasted no time debading your car.  We were just talking about doing it that morning!

This is my last DATR as I will be parting out my car within the next couple months.  If there is anything you want from my car please let me know -- RMCB5 members has first dibs!
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2007, 02:14:32 AM »
Wow, guys. From the pics, I have to admit, it looks better than the year before last that I went. Let me guess, the guy with the Passat Variant took first? Looks like all he did different from the year he beat Mark and I was change his rim color to gunmetal...

The A4 was over the top. I think it would have fit in down in SoCal. I'll try and get mine in tip-top shape for next year's show and bring it down. I've seen the widebody in the flesh it was well put together albeit dirty and in need of some loving. It looks like he did a great job cleaning it up!

Awesome guys. I'm bummed I missed it this year!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »
That looks like it was a great show.

Everyone's car looked great.  I feel like the guy that wrote "I Love Rock Chips" on his car with as much work as mine needs. 

I did see a photo I wonder if anyone can elaborate on:

It looks like a cabby with some later model front end put on.  It looks well done though!
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2007, 03:44:57 AM »
I believe that it is a VW Pointer truck. Unfortunately couldn't gather much info from a quick Google search, and I never got around to talking to the guys with the truck. I believe they came from mexico. I did however find one image of a stock one, unfortunately off of Chinese Yahoo.

Hope it helps!

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »
You could always check out VW of Mexico since that is where the truck came from.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2007, 02:17:17 AM »
That's very cool! I wonder if you can get them registered here.  Doubt it, but would be cool to see them around.  I bet they sell for something like $12K.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.