Author Topic: Allroad or Touareg?  (Read 4689 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Allroad or Touareg?
« on: June 09, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
So I am looking to buy a car for Jen, and there are several potentials on the list.  The Touareg and Allroad are on it.  The V8 and V6 are in my price range for the T-reg and the V8 and 2.7tt are on the list for the Allroad.

What would you choose?

Jon and Andrew, since you guys already or have owned the Allroad, what would your advice be?

TIA,

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Allroad or Touareg?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »
avoid the 2.7T...turbos are over $4K to replace, and most used ones are about due.  all things considered, the air suspensions are nice, but also VERY pricey to fix.  If it were me....in a perfect world....I would do this.--->>>> V6 Touareg, no air suspension, decent power, great style, same interior comforts as the V8, much less expensive to maintain, brakes are smaller, but easier to upgrade and replace rotors and pads.

If not that, I would get an allroad 4.2, no turbos to replace as they need to pull the engine to replace them.  Then when the air suspension goes out, put in performance shocks and springs.  Coilovers would be nice, but they would need to be rebuild frequently due to the weight of the car compared to the A6 or S6 wagons that they were meant for....rebuilds are expensive and you are left without a car while that is being done.  Suspension on that car will be problematic over time.

If you are planning on getting a car for the long haul, I honestly would consider a 4Runner over either of those, easier to fix, less expensive to fix, less things that need fixing.  I would get the touareg over the allroad due to the future suspension issues you will avoid, the rest of the car will have the same other issues over time, timing belts, shocks, brakes, electrical issues, blah, blah, blah.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »
Thanks Jon, that's some good food for thought.  I like the 4Runners too, but if I were to do that, I might as well get another LC...which is also on the non-VAG list.

Other things we are looking at are the new Rav4, Mercury Mariner, et al.

Of course, I have my preferred vehicles, but this is for Jen so it's her decision, although I will be doing the wrenching.  ;D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 02:49:07 PM »
Touareg!

Center locking Diffs, adjustable suspension, there's some cool crap on those trucks. I was considering on before I went back to my car.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »
Touregs aren't the most reliable of cars and the gas mileage is terrible.  AR's are fun, but as noted, turbo replacement on em is pretty expensive...
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 08:43:46 PM »
depends what you are looking for.  if you want a nice daily driver that will be somewhat more reliable, go with a touareg.

If however you like your car to come with some conflicted personality traits - a potential to be a 400 hp sports sedan, a track car, a mildly capable offroader, and still maintain the ability to haul the family around, then the allroad is the right car for you.

dont get me wrong.  I love my allroad, it is awesome (despite currently being broken) and there is literally nothing out there that I would rather drive.  that said, approach allroad ownership knowing that you'll likely be spending a lot to maintain it.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 09:23:02 PM »
^^^^^^  Andrew puts it VERY nicely.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »
i think the toyota 4runner idea sounds good. Or even the nissan pathfinder.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 02:00:33 PM »
I know a guy that might be selling his Pathy...it's a real nice rig. Fairly new and I've already hacked into it  ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 05:38:28 PM »
You guys all have great ideas.  They make a lot of sense.  I realize Dub asked about Tourag vs. AR, but I'll throw one more option in there.  What about a 528 Touring?  Probably more reliable than either Trourag or AR, just as much functionality and more fun to drive than either.  That is, of course if you are alright with rear wheel drive.  Not sure if they made a Touring in AWD.

"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
We'll see what we get, but Jen is tough to deal with on cars because she thinks she knows what she wants and then it changes.  Same with the price.  All over the place.  I think I'll just get her a trailer for the bike with room for two kids, hehe.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »
so along the lines of other cars to consider, recently we took a look around at other potential "kid-hauler" type cars.

The mercedes R class is pretty darn nice.  looks like a minivan.  the R350 is low on power, but the R500 drives pretty nicely.  dead quiet inside - almost erie.  LOTS of room though and worth considering.  since they arent selling well dealers are making below invoice deals on new ones and used ones are priced pretty reasonably.

The Audi Q7 is good.  Stammler has a premium 4.2 that has been a demonstrator and it is priced really well.  kinda get all the best qualities of the allroad and the touareg in that and with a 3rd row.

Finally the X5.  gebhardt has ONE remaining "previous" generation new '06 model year that they are desperate to get rid of.  then there is the new '07s that come with the 4.8L v8 and a small 3rd row.  that is a very nice vehicle  very similar driving deel to the 330i.  it is easy to forget you are in a truck while driving it.  the only thing that kept us from buying it was the $67k price tag.  we liked it a lot, but not quite that much.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 06:17:08 PM »
I think people tend to forget that there is an A6 Avant/S6 Avant. We were in the same delima and decided against the Allroad simply because we have one 2.7T to maintain now.  I think with a good aftermarket warranty it would be fine. We opted to get an A6 just to avoid the v8 and 2.7T.  Great Car. Good mileage, lots of room, great all wheel drive.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 01:40:58 AM »
Hey Cole, we have been looking at the A6 Avant in fact.  I really like that car.  There's not many of them around though.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 12:21:55 PM »
We looked around for a couple of months to find ours. Jeska absolutley loves the car. Swears that if it ever dies she just wants another one.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 05:20:34 PM »
FWIW as a daily driver Touaregs are HUGE!  5300 pounds, that's 1250 more than my A8 and around 1000 pounds more than an Allroad.  They are kinda cool but I find it hard to justify the size and weight on a daily basis.  Or the MPG, which I expect would not get into the 20's very far and only then on the highway.  I get 22 or so combined in the A8, 27 on highway trips.  Gotta figure 18 MPG would be the combined figure to hope for, 12-ish around town, moving all that weight.

I kinda like 'em but unless I buy a 26' boat I have no use for all that mass.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
Good point!

However that's still an increase compared to the 10-13 I get in the FJ60 now.

I am looking for a vehicle that can get me where I need in most all conditions.  We's like a 3rd row of seats too, but that severely limits our options.

We'll see what we end up with. I never wanted the Land Cruiser for a daily driver, but it's such a great vehicle for the stuff you don't want to do in nicer cars (read: hauling stuff like sheetrock, and furry dogs and camping, and bikes) that I still feel dumb selling it.

The things you do for domestic tranquility... ;)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 10:23:01 PM »
you are selling the FJ60?  did I totally miss something?  I thought you were keeping it.  I feel so confused right now.  I need a nap.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 03:38:12 AM »
Lol.  That's right.  I would love to keep it forever, but it's time to go to someone that can bring it to its full potential.

I have other plans.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 03:50:04 AM »
Winston,

Volvo wagons have the option of the rear-facing 3rd row seat. They're not for adults, just mini people or kids. And you can get FWD or AWD.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 12:14:06 AM »
Hey Jon, yeah it's a great third vehicle, but I need a couple daily drivers, so the FJ is outta here. 

I always like Volvos, but I would have to have an R and that's about it.  Andrew, you still down south or are you back yet?

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 12:16:28 PM »
Winston, feel free to stop by the shop and you can see what an Allroad looks like from the inside :o

Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 01:05:26 PM »
 ;D or visit the other thread where I have some pictures.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 02:04:08 AM »
Consider an A6 Avant if you are looking at an Allroad.  Let electronic gadgetry to break down and you could avoid the potentially dreadful 2.7T.  It's also cheaper to own.

The Touareg is a nice SUV and has the nicest interiors of all SUVs, but it's heavy and sluggish.  Though the Porsche Cayenne is almost the same car and not as attractive, they have depreciated a lot (except for the turbos) and you could get a pretty good deal on one.

I would have to agree that the Volvo V70 R is a fine choice; safety, performance and AWD.  You probably heard that Volvo is discontinuing the R line for 2008.

Anything Japanese would ensure you reliability and quality. 
Though older Acura MDX may look very bland (the new model is actually very impressive), it's actually a very nice SUV and standard with the best NAV system on the market. 
you can get past the odd ball styling of the Subie Tribeca, you could pick one up at a good deal.  It has three rows of seats, decent performance and a nicely designed interior.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 03:54:36 AM »
Winston,

Volvo wagons have the option of the rear-facing 3rd row seat. They're not for adults, just mini people or kids.

FWIW the A6 Avants have the same 3rd row seat option. Our car is a 3rd seat car.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 09:19:10 PM »

So Im the new girl... but my opinion as a female is the Touareg. That will be my next VDub without a doubt!!!  ;D
Love, like a river, will cut a new path
whenever it meets an obstacle.

- Crystal Middlemas -

Cole

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 12:03:39 AM »
Um....."why" is that your opinon Sarah?

Just saying that is your opinon is not enough around here.  ;D We like to know why you like it more than the Audi. Is it styling? features? The way it drives? etc.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
Um....."why" is that your opinon Sarah?

Just saying that is your opinon is not enough around here.  ;D We like to know why you like it more than the Audi. Is it styling? features? The way it drives? etc.

agreed....you need more back up than that.  Have you looked at reliability, value, economy, or is it totally a status thing?  Performance thing?  Enquiring minds want to know :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 05:20:29 AM »
agreed....you need more back up than that.  Have you looked at reliability, value, economy, or is it totally a status thing?  Performance thing?  Enquiring minds want to know :)

Ya'll just want to hear girls talking about cars LOL
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »
Ya'll just want to hear girls talking about cars LOL

Well I will be totally girly here, and honestly the reason I like it so much is because it looks amazing. There aren't very many SUVs out there that catch my eye. Also I have driven a couple in my car hunting days, and I love the handling. I was very surprised that it handled corners and turns so well. I haven't done any additional research though seeing as how we just bought the bimmer I had to put my Touareg needs on hold... :-[
Love, like a river, will cut a new path
whenever it meets an obstacle.

- Crystal Middlemas -