Author Topic: No joke...  (Read 3021 times)

madigan

• Modded
No joke...
« on: February 04, 2004, 05:12:25 PM »
For those that questioned whether or not a front license plate is required...IT IS! I got two tickets in the past week for no front plate. :roll: Can you belive that...Colorado State Law says it's required. Ordinance # 52-64. Luckily I did contest both tickets and got off. I don't even have a bracket on the front bumper that can hold a license plate. They were actually very nice at the Parking Violations Bureau. 8O So, I just thought I'd let eveyone know. Now I'm trying to find a used bracket so I can mount a stupid-looking front plate. The dealer, well Mountain States, wants $32.50 for that piece of plastic. :? Huh....?
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
No joke...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 05:25:15 PM »
I just got out of court for my second...they were not nice at all...I don't have a bracket either...(on my Mazda) I got out of the first ticket, but not the second :x
I've got to find a piece of wire or something...I hate that car...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

No joke...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 05:25:15 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
No joke...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 05:27:33 PM »
Welcome to Denver ;)

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
No joke...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 10:26:53 PM »
Wow, I guess I'm lucky to be able to park in a garage most of the time when I'm downtown.  One year and counting without a front plate for me.  :D  I wonder how many times I'll be able to contest that ticket should I get one. ;)
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

BlackA4

• n00balicious
No joke...
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 10:41:13 PM »
my past car had no plate and went around 2-3 years before I sold it. never recieved any trouble. even got pulled over 2-3 times with out one and they never even noticed. or they were too busy writing tickets. lol
att

madigan

• Modded
No joke...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 01:13:18 AM »
It's always the meter maids that get ya for no front plate, when parked. I bet cops could care less. Ever since Hickenlooper reduced meter fares downtown he's told the "parking police" to make up for that by ticketing for any and every possible offense. If your front bumper is half an inch past the meter pole...$20 ticket! No front plate...$30 ticket! Stopped in a tow-away zone...$60 ticket! The meter maids are relentless now. :roll:
mad wagon

RobD

• Modded
No joke...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 10:18:40 AM »
Mark I feel your pain.  We had the same problem witht he Eurovan.  Two tickets in two days from the meter maids over at the doctors office near St Josephs hospital.  I contested it and got it down to a 10.00 fine.  I then went to Mtn States and got a New Beetle holder for 10.00 and works great on the van.

No joke...
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 12:25:07 PM »
try that in boulder
In a non meter space on a side street /parking row parked front away from street and no sidewalk..

read again       NO METER!

came out to a $20 no front plate and a $50 exspired tags.......Parking Nazi's ..lame

Thinks seen to aviod ticket...
outside inch of plate cut off and screwed direct to bumper with rubber on the edge.
color copy of plate laminated and taped to front window, real in trunk.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
No joke...
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 12:47:27 PM »
Hmmm, Lance that subterfuge gives me an idea.  What if we came up with euro plates that resemble the state plates?  Call Starkist!

Who's good with photoshop?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
No joke...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 01:46:50 PM »
Denver has always been strict on Front plates in regard to the meter maids.  It;s easy money, most people don;t contest it and it.s $30.  I got one on my Scout just before the end of the year in front of my HOUSE!!!!

Some of you know where I live, it was not a patrol car that did it, but a meter maid.  They trolled our streets in a year end push to generate some las tminute dollars.

I thought that was cheap, but then again, I am breaking the law by not having one so, oh well.

It's like getting caught for speeding, one can complain about it and think it is unfair because someone else was going faster, but in the end, you were breaking the law.

I would love it if they got rid of the front plate requirement, but it'll be awhile before people start to forget about the last time they tried that.

I keeo my front plate in my car, and when I go downtown I throw it up in the window, as long as they can see it, you are cool.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
No joke...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 02:00:28 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
I keeo my front plate in my car, and when I go downtown I throw it up in the window, as long as they can see it, you are cool.

Not true, I park downtown every day for work and I've gotten two tickets for that now..WITH my plate in the window.

I've thought about doing up a Euro plate with my license on it...but what's the fun in that?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
No joke...
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
Quote from: "gietl"

Not true, I park downtown every day for work and I've gotten two tickets for that now..WITH my plate in the window.

I've thought about doing up a Euro plate with my license on it...but what's the fun in that?

As long as it is clearly visibly they can't ticket you. I would dispute those.  Also, legally you can;t have anything other than a Colorado plate on the front, so even having a "euro" plate witht eh letter/number of your rear doesn't count.

BlackA4

• n00balicious
No joke...
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 02:05:47 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"
Hmmm, Lance that subterfuge gives me an idea.  What if we came up with euro plates that resemble the state plates?  Call Starkist!

Who's good with photoshop?

Not the best, but a quick fix up for ya here at work. I know its kinda blurry. oh well not bad for a few mins. I think thats a really good idea!!!!!! At least they would have our numbers and same logo/background. Might confuse typical meter maids.  lol.
att

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
No joke...
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »
Just in case there is any confusion:

42-3-123. Number plates to be attached.
Statute text

(1) (a) Number plates assigned to a self-propelled vehicle other than a motorcycle or street rod vehicle shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear. The number plate assigned to a motorcycle, street rod vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer, any other vehicle drawn by a motor vehicle, or any item of mobile machinery or self-propelled construction equipment shall be attached to the rear thereof. Number plates shall be so displayed during the current registration year, except as otherwise provided in this article.

(b) Repealed.

(2) Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and shall be horizontal at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

(3) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.
History

Source: L. 94: Entire title amended with relocations, p. 2196, 1, effective January 1, 1995. L. 96: (1) amended, p. 439, 2, effective July 1. L. 2002: (1)(b) repealed, p. 246, 8, effective August 7.
Annotations

Editor's note: This section was formerly numbered as 42-3-113 and the former section 42-3-123 was relocated to section 42-3-134.
Annotations

ANNOTATION
Annotations

Am. Jur.2d. See 7A Am. Jur.2d, Automobiles and Highway Traffic, 57, 58.

C.J.S. See 60 C.J.S., Motor Vehicles, 221.

Where the suspect's license plate was obstructed by dirt, in violation of this section, the troopers had a reasonable suspicion that criminal activity was occurring. Although after stopping the vehicle, the troopers could see the plates well enough to discern that they were current, the continued obstruction of the plate constituted an ongoing license plate violation and thus a reasonable purpose for the stop. Because the troopers had a reasonable suspicion and a reasonable stop, they properly initiated an investigatory stop. People v. Altman, 938 P.2d 142 (Colo. 1997).

Applied in People v. Clements, 665 P.2d 624 (Colo. 1983).

http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
No joke...
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 04:06:50 PM »
I did contest it...the freakin' judge says it HAS to be attached to the front bumper...but of course the rule actually doesn't say WHERE...just not less the 12 inches...I'm printing this action out.

Thanks Jay...I hate parking...I need a helicopter so I can park on the roof :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
No joke...
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 04:09:31 PM »
Quote from: "BlackA4"
Not the best, but a quick fix up for ya here at work. I know its kinda blurry. oh well not bad for a few mins. I think thats a really good idea!!!!!! At least they would have our numbers and same logo/background. Might confuse typical meter maids.  lol.

So awesome...I want one, just to watch the meter maid confused :lol:  :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner