Author Topic: Leaving Children's Hospital  (Read 1615 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Leaving Children's Hospital
« on: May 16, 2007, 10:40:12 PM »
I have debated this off and on for at least a year and a half, but recent events and a major conflict in philosophies has made the decision much easier.  I will no longer work for Children's hospital as of June 9th.  My new job will be MUCH closer to home, at Parker Adventist Hospital.  I will be caring for adults, general medical and cardiac care, but it is a great opportunity.  Hours will be the same for now, weekend nights, but as the hospital grows, and hopefully opening the adult oncology unit soon, I have been told they would like me to persue management at that time.  We will see, not sure I want to do management as direct patient care is my true passion.

With the new job, pay is much better, and I will save almost 300 hours a year of commuting time, and over $1000 in gas just to get to work (based on $3.05 per gallon).  That means my work days will be about 2 hours less per day by commute alone.  That makes me very happy, I get more sleep, more time with my wife between shifts, and time to play with the puppy.  I could not ask for more.

It will be a stretch for me as I have been with Children's Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant for almsot 7 years now, but I have worked with this new population before.  Kinda nervous to change jobs, I thought I would stay with Children's forever.....but with the combination of complex patients, poor prognosis for many of them, and the recent change in philosophy/conflicts of the department/upper management....no time like the present to make a change.

So, there you have it....I am excited, but nervous at the same time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:35:50 PM by 03Indigo »

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: Leaving Children's Hospital
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »
Congrats Jon!

Job changes are always stressful, but well reasoned ones tend to go smoothly.  sounds like you are making the changes for the right reaons.  Best of luck to you through the change.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:12:08 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 11:31:02 PM »
Congrats, I know it can be hard to move on from a job. Sounds like a good gig for all the right reasons.

TurboDub

• Modded
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 03:21:21 AM »
Nice Jon congrats!

I went through much of the same thing recently so I know some of what you re going through. As it turned out I love my new job and the people there are awesome. Though it is a bit LESS money for now, we are growing fast and my "commute" is .5 miles each way.  8) ...or 1 mile per day (unless I come home for lunch) ...or 5 miles per week. hehe ;D
09 DSG GTI
05 Subaru Legacy GT

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »
Jon, that's awesome that you're making the change. Sounds like a better deal all the way around. I know how frustrating it can be when management and uppper philosophy just takes a wrong turn. I am excited for you. That's a great hospital too. I've had to take Tish in once and her grandfather spent some time there- both great experiences.

Good fortune to you my friend  8)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 12:41:35 PM »
Congratulations!

Sounds like a good opportunity!

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »
thanks guys...I am getting more and more excited about the new job every day.  Calculated my raise in pay, comes to about $8800 per year.  That makes me pretty happy.

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 09:58:58 PM »
Congrats Jon!!  Sounds like a good change for you, even with the departure from the old job that you had.  Best of luck man :)

Jonathan

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
WOW am I off on not reading threads latley.

I am glad to hear of your change in careers.  I now it will be bitter sweet but it sounds like in the long run you get to have more of your life back.  Congratulations.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 08:25:50 PM »
Jon,

That's great news.  I know the children will miss your excellent care, but if the management doesn't gel, then that makes it really tough to stay.  I went through the same thing myself and I have to say, this job I have now is the best one I have ever had.  Best workers all around, great management and it's a good challenging job.  I came right in and started making an impact, and I think you will do the same thing.

So we're on the same side of town finally!  Let's get together!  I should be in my new place on the 18th or 20th.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:41:49 PM »
W,

we should get together.  You should really try to swing by Alan's, even if for just a minute.  either that or we should all do a HR Rio night again, those are always fun and it works out great for the southern people now.

Glad you will be down this way....I say you should move to Parker :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 12:34:40 PM »
well, it's done, I am home after working my last shift, my last long commute, and it feels pretty good.  Now to get a little sleep, then get up, and sleep again tonight as I have to be at my new job is less than 23 hours. ;)

Here is a toast to finishing a 7 year chapter in my life....one filled with amazing memories!!!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
Congrats Jon!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein