Linked Events

• 2ND ANNUAL COLORADO HILLCLIMB: July 01, 2007

Author Topic: 2ND ANNUAL COLORADO HILLCLIMB - UPDATE  (Read 4785 times)

Melinko bq

• n00balicious
2ND ANNUAL COLORADO HILLCLIMB - UPDATE
« on: June 12, 2007, 10:58:09 PM »
- UPDATES!!! -
I UPDATED TIMES AND LOCATIONS AND DIRECTIONS BELOW, please read on....

Hello all, sorry for the seeming procrastination here... Been trying my @$$ off to scout the trip before-hand,
couldn't make it happen...work. I made many calls and left many e-mails, and nobody seems to be working
with me on this one. I HIGHLY doubt that there will be enough parking at the summit for any of us to park,
so don't plan on staying with the group if you plan on stopping, as many will be unable to do so. Anybody
down for heading over to Lookout Mountain after the descend? Looks like the BBQ fell through on us this
year...

I also am given the impression that none will be able to drive/park without a Park Pass, which is (bad word)
ridiculous. The Clear Creek rangers all insist that we will all have to pay, but I will refuse, as should you.

I had hoped that we could possibly let some stay at the summit for a few minutes, take turns, etc... the
nearest parking lot is only 15 minutes from the summit, at the Summit Lake parking lot.... here is a briefing
from a recent e-mail I recieved this morning...

"The lot at the top should hold at least 30 vehicles. There was some recent controversy between the
State and the Forest Service regarding the fees on Mt Evans. It has been resolved and I believe you
will find that you will need to pay the fee just to drive into the the area regardless of whether you stop
or not. The fee was never a "parking fee". You may want to contact the forest service if you have an
additional questions about Mount Evans Fees.

Clear Creek Ranger Station:
303-567-3000   (8:00am to 4:30pm)"

Anybody with more info on this - please speak up at the meet on Sunday, I hope to contact the forest
service before then. Maybe have them on speed-dial if we encounter any problems (on a Sunday...?)

We kind of have to play this one by ear, I'm not sure what will happen until we drive to the gates.

BBQ fell through this year. Feel free to stop and grab a bite before and after and during the pit-stops.
There should be plenty of time after the summit descent before Lookout Mountain for a fast-bite
to eat.

Reason for Lookout Mountain - a meeting place near I-70, as some of the members won't be joining
until Idaho Springs. (BTW - planning on meeting near the McDonalds and gas stations nearest 241A).
I'm also going for the view, if you've never been, I recommend seeing. A fun little winding road follows
down the other side of the mountain and places you back on highway 6 to 470, I-70, 58, 93...

----- READ ON FOR SPECIFICS --- Modified original message follows: -----
Last year, around 18 Audis (old and new) joined as we climbed the famous Pike's
Peak near Colorado Springs, CO. We had a blast as a 1/4 mile of enthusiasts drove
through Garden of the Gods, then went on to climb the 14,000+ foot mountain. This year,
to attract more drivers, we decided to drive the HIGHEST PAVED ROAD IN AMERICA.
'Tis the season to take some pictures, videos, and meet fellow enthusiasts.

WHEN: 9AM - 10AM initial meeting on Sunday, July 1st, 2007 (CANADA DAY! - also international JOKE day...?)

WHERE: Top of Mt. Evans! The cruise will be officially starting in Castle Rock, CO at
the Castle Rock Outlet Malls.

TO OUTLET MALLS:
- From I-25: Exit 184 (Founders Parkway),
-Turn RIGHT heading west on Meadows Pkwy (Founders becomes Meadows at I-25),
-Take FIRST RIGHT on Factory Shops Blvd,
-Take FIRST RIGHT on New Hampshire Ct.,
-Take FIRST LEFT on Factory Shops Blvd.
- Follow Factory Shops Blvd to northwest parking lot near Pure Mountain Sports.

TO IDAHO SPRINGS:
- Take I-25 north to C-470, exit on right, then left heading west on 470.
- West to I-70 (25 Miles)
- I-70 West to Idaho Springs (20 Miles, exit 241A for refuel and last 15 min pit-stop)

TO MT EVANS HIGHWAY:
- Continue west on Colorado Blvd(241A) to 13 Ave, turn left heading south.
- 13th Ave becomes Hwy 103 at I-70, continue for 13 miles.
- Turn right on to CO-5 / Mt. Evans Rd, 15? miles to summit.

TO LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN RD:
- From Idaho Springs, continue WEST on I-70 to Exit 240 'Genesee Park'
- Make a left at the stop sign and follow the signs to Lookout Mountain Rd. US 40 to S Lkout Mtn Rd.
- There is a decent sized parking lot we could all meet at following the descent, not sure
   how to find the exact directions via Google Maps, however, it is just off Lookout Mountain Rd.
   Located at the highest point of the highway nearest the edge of the front range mountain.
- GREAT VIEW OF DENVER

Estimated Arrival - Departure:

Factory Outlet Mall Northwest Parking Lot : 9 AM - 10 AM
Idaho Springs: 11 AM - 11:15 AM
Mt. Evans: 12:15 PM
Lookout Mountain (Play by ear): 2:30 PM

COST: FREE to drive the highway. $10 per vehicle to use any of the facilities along the highway (Including restrooms...).

WHAT TO BRING: Your car, and $10 in case the dude(ette) behind the register demands it.

As you can assume, ALL AUDIS, old and new, fast and slow, are welcome. If you
are a VW enthusiast and want to join in the cruise, help find some VDUBs to
cruise with.

Visit http://www.mountevans.com/index.html
for more information about the mountain.

Chris Bingham
Colorado Springs, CO
'91 Audi 200 - 2.22 I5 (3B) 20vtq - modded =)
'92 Audi S4 - 2.22 I5 (AAN) 20vtq - modded =)

I have also posted on the following sites:

Audiworld
http://forums.audiworld.com/rockymtn/msgs/97364.phtml

VW Vortex
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3284921

MetroDubs
http://metrodubs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2867

Edition 719
http://edition719.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=145531#145531

Rocky Mountain Club B5
http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/index.php/topic,5976.msg58876.html#top
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:04:21 AM by Melinko bq »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: 2ND ANNUAL COLORADO HILLCLIMB
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:21:52 PM »
Thanks for posting this Chris, I need to check my schedule for that weekend and will send you an email if we can make it!

What are the thoughts about maybe going through Evergreen as the route for a little bit more scenic drive?

Also, I added it to the calendar hence the edit notation on the original post.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:21:52 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:54:56 PM »
I also forgot to add and I had to do some quick searching, but not long ago it was brought up that if you don't use the facilities you don't need to pay.

So if there are folks that are just going to drive up and take off, you SHOULD be able to get in for free. If you plan on using the toilet or a trail head or a picnic area pay the fee.

Here is a recent article. Which I might add states they will tell us verbally of the rule. I only wish I could get about $50 back for my drive through, though I guess it does go to a good cause. :)

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_6023688

Melinko bq

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the information! The article seems a little unclear as to if we will be able to have enough time to hike the last 1/4 mile to the summit while leaving our cars parked at the Summit Parking lot. Also, I spoke with a few park rangers that suggested we make the climb EARLY in the morning, to be at the summit by 10 AM, or we may not have enough parking for the whole group, as there have been many occasions where parking was limited on a weekend. We could also make the climb later in the day, say - after 3 PM, however we may face Colorado's weather and limited visibility on the way down. I'm up for waking at 6 AM, but is everyone else? Will likely lose a lot of numbers if the cruise starts at 8 in Castle Rock. Any suggestions here?

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 04:58:47 PM »
I would recommend taking a scouting trip up there to make sure the undulations in the road towards the top won't tear off anyone's body work.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:50 PM »
Good points in both posts there, yeah the road needs a check, I haven't been up their for about a year.

As for time and numbers. It really depends on how many people are really interested. I see pros in cons as mentioned in either going early or late. We know it will be windy and potentially stormy by the afternoon. There will always be parking problems at the lot unless we are there nice and early so if people are really serious about hanging out up there for a bit and all that then i vote for a morning departure.

I think hiking the last 1/4 mile to the summit constitutes using a trail or something like that. ;) Also, if there are like 10 - 20 cars we probably should pay a fee as we will be hogging up the lot and the road.

There was a drive last year up Mt Evans and it left relatively early. I think they hit the road by 9am, a little behind schedule. And that was one that went up through ever green so it takes longer. So if yous till just shot up I-70 and left by 9am it wouldn't be too bad.

Owners get up early for shows, why wouldn't they want to get up early to drive their favorite car. :)

Melinko bq

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 05:52:09 PM »
I am planning a scouting trip up there. I talked with a few friends that will be joining me... We're taking one car, get all the directions and potential stops along the way (IE - Starting parking lot, specific route, fuel stop before the climb... etc.). I believe if we make it a cruise to the top of the mountain and we want a lot of people to go, we should leave the parking lots no later than 10. This means we won't be able to park at the summit for long, if there is any room. I am planning on driving up, driving down, then finding a campsite or large parking lot that will allow us to mingle with a propane grill and grill cheeseburgers & dogs. Besides, most of the fun is shaking hands with enthusiasts, showing cars, and leading or following a group of supreme automobiles for a couple of hours.

Note: From Castle Rock to Mt. Evans summit - est. 2 hour drive. A one-hour drive to a parking lot (possibly Lookout Mountain in Genesee Park off I-70 - right outside of Denver) following the summit would put lunch at around 1 o'clock.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 05:54:55 PM »
Sweet, looking forward to the final details and as I said before, we are hoping it works out with our schedule.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »
holy crap, I am actually off that Sunday...go figure.  Can a MINI join in on the fun?  If not...well then poo on you :P

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 07:06:57 PM »
I say YES! Mainly because I haven't been on a drive with you in YEARS!

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »
FWIW, I almost flipped a Grand Cherokee end over end on that road a couple years ago due to the frost heaving.  Right by the upper lake the road is really bad.  Be sure you don't go more than about 10 mph there.  Seriously, the whole (rental) vehicle had to be a couple feet off the ground.  Ripped the belly pan right off and jacked up the underside of the bumper.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 07:17:02 PM »
hmmm, if it is that bad, I am not gonna want to take the MINI, you know how I feel about messing that car up.

but I would really like to go, and I will have to stay in the back, no turbo means SLOW.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 07:39:04 PM »
My car is really slow too.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »
would love to join you guys but I am going to be out of town
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Melinko bq

• n00balicious
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 09:22:13 PM »
holy crap, I am actually off that Sunday...go figure.  Can a MINI join in on the fun?  If not...well then poo on you :P

I welcome all German Autos... However, a single MINI may have to park elsewhere for a pic or two. And you get passed by all the turbos... but you're more than welcome to tag along as far as I'm concerned. I'm going even if it's by myself...

WAIT... just got off the phone with another potential buyer. I can't believe this. I just sold my 1992 S4, now they want the 1991 200 20v. Both listed after I decided to gather friends for a hillclimb rally. I'll have something figured out by July. I'll borrow 'mommas' A6 2.8 if I have to.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 10:09:50 PM »
My car is really slow too.

you are such a liar!!!!

Melinko bq

• n00balicious
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 10:37:13 PM »
What are the thoughts about maybe going through Evergreen as the route for a little bit more scenic drive?

I was a bit hesitant at first to detour through Evergreen. Though the scenery would pay off, there wouldn't be enough time - and therefore parking - at the mountaintop. Now, assuming we spend little time at the summit lot and more time at a bigger parking lot --> a longer, more scenic drive, could be in order. However, we may have to leave earlier so we aren't too late in the day for grilling.

Is everybody interested in a BBQ afterwards?

I know about 10 of us are interested. Last year, a few parted ways after we reached the interstate. I'd like to have everybody gather somewhere for a picture / video / etc. following the decent, as some drivers will be joining at random places along the way.

Gutz

• Stock
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 02:21:46 PM »
This is always fun,I should already be in evergreen and would love to meet up.

k.pez

• n00balicious
I'm a dumb@$$
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 02:48:37 AM »
I mismarked my calendar........ >:(