Author Topic: 2000 GLX Tierod Replacement?  (Read 2054 times)

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
2000 GLX Tierod Replacement?
« on: February 05, 2004, 05:31:04 PM »
First off I admit I have posted the identical message on VWVortex... Just looking for some feedback here.

I've got a 2000 Passat GLX and I went to an independent shop thinking I'd get a much lower quote then the dealer to replace my outside tierods and he only shot me $35 less.  The quote was $515 and I'm wondering if this sounds a bit high to anybody.  I believe they're a good shop but I've never had anything done there at all but I made sure they quickly knew I had some clue about the mechanics of my vehicle.  The OEM tierods the shop was purchasing were something like $130 or $150 a piece...crazy high I thought.

I received some initial estimates from one shop that it would be around $250 but that was sight unseen and I have to wonder if they included an alignment with that.

The big question for me is whether or not this is something that can be done on my own outside of the alignment?  Do I need "special" tools for this.  Any advice would be appreciated.

And FWIW this shop specialized in VW and Audi and they scared me with the stories they had about mechanical and electrical issues that both brands have (my wife has a 2001 A4 that won't last in this household past it's warranty).

Just looking for some advice.  :confused:

Thanks!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 05:42:42 PM »
Hey welcome to the club.  I like you handle.  Lot's of bikers here...

First off, I would check on www.clubb5.com for the latest prices for the tie rods.  I know ecstuning.com has several replacements for a good price.  

Secondly, you can do these yourself without any special tools.  If you are fairly handy, then these are not too big of a deal.  Several of the A4 owners on our board have done their own and save some cashish.

Here's the ECS Tuning site for suspension components:

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=1.8T&model=Passat%20B5&submodel=FWD&category=Suspension

Check it out.  Are you local?  If so, we have garage days frequently where we could give you a hand with these...
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 05:42:42 PM »

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 06:01:54 PM »
Well Castle Rock isn't necessarily local by some peoples terms but I'm close enough to Denver that I'd definitely be interested in a garage day for my Passat.

My situation to be very honest is one of a tight a$$ after a couple of layoffs in the last two years.  With that said I'm always trying to save a buck but I'm usually VERY adamant about it being done right when it comes to my car.  

I've already replaced my rotors and pads all the way around (nice drilled ones up front) so I'm not afraid of doing a little digging. Got those from Adirondack but had looked at ECS tuning.  Found a new site (for me anyway) impexfap.com that has the tierods as well.

My white GLX with a a biege interior has no special mods simply because I have other priorities (biking, skiing, etc) that take all of my limited $$$resources$$$.  I'd love to stiffen up the suspension a bit but as I understand it that would also require some lowering and with my adventures into some rough areas I'd rather not (my wife wouldn't think it too keen to spend money on that as well - that would require an entire new forum category though).

Thanks for the advice and let me know what I need to do to get a garage day together or when you have one that I can show up at - don't want to wait to long since my tires seem to wear fast with the bad tierods.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 07:10:31 PM »
Well our next garage day (check in the GTG section for this post) is our Timing Belt replacement garage day on the 21st.  If you want to stop by, PM me and I'll send you my address and phone number along with directions.  I'm just off of Dry Creek and I-25, so I'm less than 30 minutes from you actually.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 07:25:36 PM »
Hehehe...I was just about to mention the same thing...if anyone can get it replaced and do it well and care about it...it's guys in this club :thumbsup:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 08:25:18 PM »
I'm not sure about the cost of replacing the tierods, but an alignment should only add $50-$100 to the price and $100 is the absolute highest.