Author Topic: Ouch, talk about over charging!  (Read 1990 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
Ouch, talk about over charging!
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:17:13 PM »
A national engine repair company is in hot water.
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=72191
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
Re: Ouch, talk about over charging!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:23:09 PM »
This was my complaint, although nothing ever came of it.

"American Engine installation took possession of my 1995 Pontiac Grand Am on 1/26/06.  At that time I paid a deposit on an estimate of work of $1974.10.  I received estimate time of completion of 9-12 days.  I later visited the shop to get a see what work needed to be done.  After an explanation of the work that needed to be done, I was quoted a price of $3976.52.   On 2/09/06, I walked into the shop with additional $1500 cash as a deposit for them to start work.  This was also the same day as my call to Extended Active Duty.  Contact was then made in late February that the car was done and that it need to be picked up or it would be put in storage for $20/day.  I then paid the remainder of the money via a Bank Check, and arranges pick-up of the vehicle with my father-in-law.  Upon receipt of the vehicle, and drive it to 2147 E. 115th Pl. Northglenn, CO.  However, on the drive from the shop the car broke down near 104th and I-25 in Thornton, CO, 10 miles from the shop.  In a conversation with Tim, I was told that a spline had broken inside the engine and the engine would need to be replaced, and the part that broke was actually left over from the previous engine.  I was then quoted a price of approx. $120.00 for the repair.  Since that time, I have made phone calls to the shop, talking to the owner/manager Chuck.  On every occasion, he does not know what is going on and defers any discussion to Tim, who will call me back.  On no occasion have I received a returned phone call from Tim.  The final time I called, the same date of this complaint, I was told by Chuck that he had never talked to me about the car.  They have made no attempt to work a way for me to recover my property since April 2006.  The only time they pushed to get the car returned was after the initial repair when I owed them an additional $1676.75 and the car was taking up room in the shop. I wish to receive the car back at no further cost to myself, or they can keep the car and refund all the cost of repair."
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:23:09 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 08:26:05 PM »
Wow, that is the suck without a doubt.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:27:27 PM »
I knew there was a reason Randy and Todd are working on my engine.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

PasSoup

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:57:26 PM »
Bringing back an old thread --

The Colorado Attorney General's Office has settled its consumer protection action against American Engine Installations.  I am not sure what the total settlement was, but my portion is about $2K.   :o
Jonathon

1999 Passat 30V V6
2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:14:51 PM »
I'm glad you got something for all that hell you had to go through. Thank you for following up to. Always nice to hear a resolution.