Author Topic: Brand New  (Read 5689 times)

JetterBug

• Stock
Brand New
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »

Hello All! I am brand new to the V-Dub club. Unfortunately for me, I didnt even know there was a club. Anyways, so I have a Jetta, its nothing out of the ordinary except that its mine.  ;D It is a 2000 VR6, white and I love it. No pictures that I can add at the moment, I will have to do that. I am also the owner of a brand new Bimmer, 2006 325i. I am one proud mama!!!  ;)

So nice to meet you all and whats this Octdubberfest I was reading about? Anyone know?

See Ya'll Later
Love, like a river, will cut a new path
whenever it meets an obstacle.

- Crystal Middlemas -

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Brand New
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »
welcome...you are the secone Sarah in the club :)...and the second girl :)

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 08:42:38 PM »

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »
Thank that makes me AMAZING  ;) I am just happy to finally find somewhere to chat with others who share my passion!!!

- Crystal Middlemas -

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 08:48:42 PM »
hey, welcome to the club.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a couple nice rides there.

Octdubberfest is something that is organized with a local car dealership (at least the last few years) and of course occurs in October. I haven't seen any details yet on this years event. I'm sure more info will start popping up in the coming months. I think it usually gets organized in late Summer. The event is usually put on by yet another VW group known as MetroDubs.

There is also another group in the Springs called Edition719 Auto Gruppe.

Also, check out the Rocky Mountain Forum on VW Vortex.

All these wonderful sites dedicated to the cars we love. It's almost too much! There are also local GTGs and Garage Days and drives and so much more! Ok well maybe that's it, but still that's what cars are for.

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »
So I am SUUUUPER new at this, whats GTGs?  Uhoh did I just "blonde" myself?!  ;)

- Crystal Middlemas -

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:10:36 PM »
GTG is Get To Gether....a gathering, or flocking of motor heads....hanging out, having fun, oogling nice rides, and having a good time.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 09:11:40 PM »
BTW....great choice in cars.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 11:13:09 PM »
woah a female, thank goodness JR has left town ;D

welcome to the never ending insanity of owning a VW
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 06:27:56 PM »
woah a female, thank goodness JR has left town ;D

welcome to the never ending insanity of owning a VW

Eh? I have think about Ted ;D

Welcome to the club Sarah. Very nice choice of cars too!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 07:31:55 PM »
welcome to the club!

dubaudi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 07:44:40 PM »
And yet another welcome. Welcome ;D
92 MkII GTI
00 Audi A4 1.8T
90 G60 Corrado

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 09:18:04 PM »

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome messages. Does anyone know if there is a bmw club like this one? I have some bmw questions to ask.... Thanks!

- Crystal Middlemas -

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 09:35:54 PM »
BMW clubs are around but generally arent as friendly so I dont participate in those forums.  FWIW, ask your BMW questions here too, this group is pretty broad in their car experiences.  and some of us (at least me) own BMWs too.  ours is an '01 330i  then there is my BMW motorcycle too a 99 R1100S.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 09:41:53 PM »
My MINI is a BMW :)

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 01:26:38 AM »
Welcome!  ;D

Jonathan

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »
BMW clubs are around but generally arent as friendly so I dont participate in those forums.  FWIW, ask your BMW questions here too, this group is pretty broad in their car experiences.  and some of us (at least me) own BMWs too.  ours is an '01 330i  then there is my BMW motorcycle too a 99 R1100S.

Thank you!! I appreciate that, my boyfriend and I have an 06 325i and we were wanting to start some upgrades to it. If we change out the exhaust system will that void the manufacturers warranty? Also what do you recommend as far as a summer tire/winter tire?

Thanks!

- Crystal Middlemas -

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 01:52:49 PM »
Welcome to the club.  I do not own a BMW, just a couple of Dubs.  Though I do fancy seeing them around town.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
any time you modify anything on a car, it voids that section of the warranty.  By changing out an exhaust, not much is done to the performance outside of sound...for normally aspirated cars that is.  If it was forced induction, such as turbo or supercharged, that would make a difference.  For the car you have, you might actually see a decrease in low end torque by changing out the exhaust....gains are minimal at best, if any, at higher RPM.

For modifications to a normally aspirated car, like your 325i, I would look into suspension and brake upgrades...shocks, springs, sway bars, upgraded rotors and pads, and possible calipers.  You can also look into light weight rims in the 17" size for your car, that will help the car react quicker, and improve performance by decreasing unsprung weight.

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 06:14:50 PM »
any time you modify anything on a car, it voids that section of the warranty.  By changing out an exhaust, not much is done to the performance outside of sound...for normally aspirated cars that is.  If it was forced induction, such as turbo or supercharged, that would make a difference.  For the car you have, you might actually see a decrease in low end torque by changing out the exhaust....gains are minimal at best, if any, at higher RPM.

For modifications to a normally aspirated car, like your 325i, I would look into suspension and brake upgrades...shocks, springs, sway bars, upgraded rotors and pads, and possible calipers.  You can also look into light weight rims in the 17" size for your car, that will help the car react quicker, and improve performance by decreasing unsprung weight.

I couldnt find any superchargers for it yet. But since it will void the warranty I suppose we might wait a little while. I would like to add some power to it, it feels a lot slower then the JetterBug when I drive one after the other. I always feel like the Jetta is quicker. Possibly the weight difference?

- Crystal Middlemas -

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 06:32:02 PM »
Well the Jetta is 174hp & 181 lb/ft torque stock and the BMW is 215hp with 184lb/ft torque. The BMW probably weighs a bit more than the Jetta, but probably handles a little better stock.

The VR6 is quick, it is a great engine. The last ones built after 2003 were 200hp if I recall correctly.

Anyway, they are pretty close, the Jetta may very well accelerate quicker,   over distance the BMW will have more power.

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 07:47:30 PM »
Well the Jetta is 174hp & 181 lb/ft torque stock and the BMW is 215hp with 184lb/ft torque. The BMW probably weighs a bit more than the Jetta, but probably handles a little better stock.

The VR6 is quick, it is a great engine. The last ones built after 2003 were 200hp if I recall correctly.

Anyway, they are pretty close, the Jetta may very well accelerate quicker,   over distance the BMW will have more power.

This is the information I had also. We haven't tested the cars side by side yet, we live right on "cop central" street in the springs. LOL. We will have to get them out there and try it out. I think me & the JetterBug will kick Tim & the 325i's boooooty  :P

- Crystal Middlemas -

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 07:49:39 PM »
There is always the Test n Tune up here near Denver on Wednesday nights at Bandimere (drag racing). Kind of cool to get out there and get a few runs. Then you two can come up with some sort of corny little bet. :D

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 07:51:35 PM »
There is always the Test n Tune up here near Denver on Wednesday nights at Bandimere (drag racing). Kind of cool to get out there and get a few runs. Then you two can come up with some sort of corny little bet. :D

I don't know where that is... perhaps you can fill me in?

- Crystal Middlemas -

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 08:39:51 PM »
Here is a link to all the dates and details.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »

Thank you!! I appreciate that, my boyfriend and I have an 06 325i and we were wanting to start some upgrades to it. If we change out the exhaust system will that void the manufacturers warranty? Also what do you recommend as far as a summer tire/winter tire?

Thanks!

like jon said, it will probably void the warranty related to the exhaust, but if a door handle or sunroof breaks then that should still be covered.  they have to show that the changed part caused the problem at hand in order to claim that the warranty does not cover something.  overall I'd think youd be pretty safe with an exhaust change.

as for summer/winter tires, I would definately get a separate set and mounted on separate rims to make life easy.  for our winter set we went with some cheap aluminum rims that we wouldnt mind slidning into a curb once or twice and leave the nice ///M rims on the car for the summer.  in the summer we run conti sport contacts and really like those.  for the winter we have been running dunlop wintersport M2's and M3's.  they really keep even the rwd 330i planted and moving in the snow

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »
Going off what gragravar said, Tirerack usually has some good deals on winter tire and rim packages.  I bought all my previous vehicle's winter tires there.