Author Topic: Dealer Service Worst Case Scenario  (Read 5668 times)

Guinness

• Stock
  • Are you...looking at me?
Dealer Service Worst Case Scenario
« on: June 20, 2007, 01:34:27 PM »
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes...

Tell me if this isn't the cliched "Worse Case Scenario" that we all hear about happening to "My buddies uncle" or someone:  So I took my '06 A4 into one of the local dealerships to have the 45,000 mile done and replace my front pads because the wear indicator code has come up.

They tell me $199 for the pads, 45k service is covered, I'm thinking fantastic!

They call in the afternoon for the upsale- "We reccomend having the engine and injection system flushed, this will remove all the engine oil sludge and buildup, basically renews the engine" "As well, the injector flush will remove all the oxidized buildup and gunk out of the fuel system"

So I'm a new Audi owner, and who doesn't want to make sure their investment is being maintained to the upmost level possible right? ...So I say Ok.

Then they drop this one on me- "The front pads were worn down beyond the reccommended point, so we need to replace your rotors as well..."

Again, n00b Audi owner here, and I don't want to risk bad brakes.....

They call around 6 to tell me the car is ready, I live in Parker, this dealer is on Broadway, I arrive around 6:45, at approx 7:30 my car finds its way out of the back lot and to the front. I thank everybody, tell them 'No worries' about the wait and I'm off.

As I get onto C-470 things get a bit wierd......can you guess what I see when I look in my rearview?

A thick swirling cloud of blue-white smoke is streaming from the back of my car like an F-16 contrail.

I think, "This isn't good" and exit on University to return to the dealer, I think about how many time I have changed my own oil and how I always seem to spill oil on the manifold somwhere and I think, maybe that's where all this oil is coming from, then I notice that the smell of oil in the cabin is actually getting stronger and I slow down to about 20mph and 'limp' back to the dealer.

I pull into the service driveway area, pop the hood and hesitatingly take a peek. There is fresh, carmel-colored oil all over the bottom half of the engine and all over the suspension, I look under the car and oil is basically pouring out of the bottom and creating a nice little pool on the pavement. I also notice that there are several pools right there on the drive from when I left the shop 15 minutes earlier!

Me and the car runner pushed the car out of the drive to the side of the building. They brought up a loaner '07 A4 and I was off...again....and yes, I did look in my rearview for oil puddles this time as I left.

So thats my story so far, it's 9:30 and I haven't heard from them yet- We'll see how this plays out.......

I thought this only happened to other people.......:-/

*Update- The Service guy called me just now, apparently the "Oil Filter Holder" or something like that failed- they have "the part" on order, it's going to take a day or so.

I'm sure they will make this right, but ........Yikes!

Lead, Follow, or get the *#@!! outta the way!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Dealer Service Worst Case Scenario
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »
Do a search for McDonald VW and you'll see my bad experience from a few months ago.

As for the upsell stuff. The stock rotors do not last long at all on these cars especially if the pads wear all th way down. If your wear indicator just came on you should have been okay or at least marginal to go with just new pads. Still, you should pretty much have to expect to replace the  stock rotors with the pads on these new cars.

The injector flush and all that. This is a new strategy for them to squeek more money out of you. They basically sell you a can of BG44K for an inflated price, charge labor and you could do this yourself.

As for the oil change gone bad. I know these 2.0T FSIs are not the easiest engine to change the oil on. Accidents happen, but much like my botched brake vacuum line recall on my Passat had they properly tested the car after servicing this would have probably appeared. I fear that the dealers are in such a hurry to get things in and out that they just do the job and don't really QA their work to ensure everything is good.

Don't get me wrong, parts can be defective and it is human to make a mistake. That's why there are checks and balances to reduce these risks. If they don't incorporate these checks and balances more mistakes happen and everyone gets a headache. I would rather my car be kept for an extra day in a shop to ensure everything is done right that to have it rushed out to get more cars done.

Ugh, sorry to start going off. Just don't drive off the lot with your car until you are completely satisfied with the outcome. Make sure they clean EVERYTHING up from the leaking oil. Good luck.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
Yeah, being a new Audista I figured I would at least give the dealer a try, especially for the 'covered' services. I didn't want to call them out by name but obviously I was transparent enough about who I was talking about ;-)

Like I said, I'm sure they will make it right. It's just not what I was expecting from my first visit to the Doctors office.

I am concerned about the oil spill though- how aggressive should I/Can I be with them on this? Is a steam clean of the entire engine bay and undercarrage and special attention to the back end for burnt oil residue from the 'F-16 like smoke trail' reasonable? I don't want to be a jerk, but I don't want to be a push-over more.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:15:39 PM »
You wont be a jerk to expect the service to be done right and the car to at least be in the condition it was in when dropped off. If there is oil residue everywhere ask them to have it properly cleaned up.

I really do hope they make it all right. Just be calm and professional even if it's not and work through a solution. Once you drive off the lot, in most cases, any control you might have over the situation usually disappears. I would even bring a towel with you and get on the ground to look under the car and make sure it is all cleaned up.

As for your reasoning to go there. I understand completely and would do the same. It is just a challenge sometimes to find a place that does it right. At least they are trying to remedy it and again, I hope they clean it all up to your satisfaction and that no other problems arise.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »
thats a bummer to hear about.  the upsell stuff is bad, but they seem to have messed up with the oil filter - probably cross threaded it putting it on.  Yes, make them fix it to your satisfaction and clean up the mess they created.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »

I'm sure they will make this right, but ........Yikes!

I wouldn't bank on that..

After having oil sprayed all over my engine recently (my own fault), I would have them clean the hell outta that engine bay.  Go over that car piece by piece before you take it off the lot.

Does anyone know what they use for an injector cleaner? IIRC, you are suppose to do an oil change after running BG44K because it "spoils" the oil.  I think that can be confirmed on Bob is the oil guy.com.  If it isn't BG44k, then that might not be an issue, but then it is a bottle of Techron that they relabled and quadrupled the price.   
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »
The only reason I stated it was probably BG44K is that's what the VW dealers have been pushing.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 02:27:19 AM »
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes...
this dealer is on Broadway,

[/b]

Um, is this McDonald?
They are probably the least competent people that could be working on your car.
Don't give up until they make it right.

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:50:44 PM »
Yeah, geitl caught that earlier-

I didn't want to post their name because I don't know how many Audi techs may be members of this board, don't want to burn any bridges if ya know what I mean ;-)

So far they have been nice and apologetic, although I have not heard back from the Service Manager yet this morning as to the status of things....When he told me yesterday that the Oil Filter was involved, I immediately thought that the tech must have cross-threaded the filter, but that is such a rookie move that I dismissed it (surely they have better training and experience than that)- That is one of the things I really want to get an understanding of from them, what exactly went wrong.

I work off Wads and Hampden so McDonald was the closest dealer I could go to. 3zero3 isn't an Audi 'authorized' shop are they? I would make the drive up there if so.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:40:02 PM by Guinness »

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 02:16:34 PM »
Wads and Hampden???  I live at Wads and Qunicy, where do you work?
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 04:43:31 PM »
One time, a shop didn't tighten the oil filter on my Isuzu Trooper all the way, oil everywhere.  Last time I went there (or anywhere for oil changes). 

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »
Wads and Hampden???  I live at Wads and Qunicy, where do you work?

Dept of Interior, NBC (Nat'l Business Center) -off Mansfield, up the hill behind the OC (old Chicago)

So they finally called me around lunch, "The parts truck broke down, so the part won't be here until this afternoon" "we are so sorry this happened" "We have had meetings on this to make sure this type of thing never happens again, you should have never witnessed this type of failure on your vehicle"

I asked what part actually failed, he said the "O-ring rolled" I guess I remember the o-ring being part of the actual filter, I suppose thats all different on Audi's? Anyway, someday they will actually be done with my car...until then I will put miles on their loaner instead of mine.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »
Parts truck broke down? Gimme a break. Did you get the last oil filter in the state of Colorado or something? They only keep one in stock? What parts do they need? I bet the VW dealer next door had the right parts since the 2.0T in the Audi is the same one in the VWs.

Sorry to gripe, bad memories.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:42:55 PM »
if you need dealer service done Prestige is mucho better than Crack-donald. Sorry to had to find out the hard way, but please don't go back there if you like your car.

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 03:53:37 AM »
Ok, situation resolved.

I called them at 4:00 as I was leaving the office to see if there was any status thinking that since it was late in the day I was the proud possessor of an '07 A4 loaner car for another night. Left message.

As I was entering the on ramp of the Wadsworth-to-C470 rolling up through 2nd to 3rd in full tiptronic glory thinking, "It's a loaner car"... they called back

"Hey buddy, it's (enter generic service advisor name here), I have your car all ready for you here" "I did like you asked buddy and made sure they cleaned the undercarraige extremly well, it's clean and you won't have any problems with oil drips now"

So first off, I'm not 'elitist' by any stretch, but I am a 40-ahem-something year old man- I guess I would have expected a "Hello Mr. Alvarez, I am sooo sorry...bla bla bla" I mean after all this is an Audi dealer. Anyway-

So they bring the car up after the customary 10 minute wait while they wave the pressure wash wand over the car a few times to 'wash it' for you, I immediately open the door and pop the hood. I inspect the engine bay for oil and more, some signs that they actually put the pressure hose in there at all. It looks clean.

I get home and exit the car and smell oil- I told them I didnt expect them to remove the engine to make sure they got all the oil, but now I have that whole uneasy realization that they really only did the minimum to get me back off the f***ing lot.  >:(

So I burnt the place down.

in my head!

Slainte!

-G

**Update** One of the Service Advisors called me Friday, she is coming to pick ujp the car Monday and get it fully detailed inside and out. Perhaps they do in fact care about customers :-)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:56:32 PM by Guinness »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »
I'm glad you have the car back and sorry to read about the burning oil smell. That is always miserable. If it persists through the weekend I would contact them again Monday and maybe even get to talking to the service manager to explain the situation.

I only say this because if they really did specifically have a meeting about what happened and all that they will be well aware of the situation and should be more than willing to do what it takes.

In the mean time, if you have any Audi paid for dealer service left, head to Prestige. Along the lines of McDonald in terms of distance, Autobahn Premier Service is roughly at Sante Fe and Evans. Considering where you work, they are probably closer to you. They wont just do the job and hand the keys over, they make sure it's done right before handing them back.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 04:11:35 AM »
I only say this because if they really did specifically have a meeting about what happened and all that they will be well aware of the situation and should be more than willing to do what it takes.

I think we know those "meetings" were about as real as the Loch Ness monster, LOL.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 09:59:42 PM »
Now remember this is McDonald Audi and not VW, so there might be a higher level of customer satisfaction with the Audi dealership since we all know how low it is with the VW one.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 11:54:03 PM »
When we left our hero, he was waiting for the "Full Detailing" from the dealer....

Wow...this story just keeps getting better  ::)

So they called around 9 this morning to ask if they can come by the office and pick up the car for the "full detail", I said "You bet"

Sometime around 11 the driver finally arrives in a silver A3 S Line loaner, I'm thinking well, ok I guess that's cool   ;)

At 3:30 I leave the office and drop by the dealer at about 4-

MAG: Oh wow your here?

Me: Uhh yep. I try to just work the 8 hours each day...

MAG: Oh cool- well they just finished your car......so..why don't you keep the loaner car another night and we will just come by and bring it to you in the morning, I don't want you to have to wait until your car gets here, the whole idea was that we would take care of everything for you. -big smile here-

Me: I pause, because I'm not really sure what to think about what she just said, "It's done" and "wait until tomorrow" all in the same sentence and all, but then I think, hey, I get to drive an A3 S-Line for the evening, so I manage a "uhh Ok"

Then I think about all the family dogs that are taken to kennels when the family goes to Disney World in the summer and I wonder if a family has ever waited that one extra day after getting back from vacation before they go and spring Spot just to have an extra day of relaxation and how that must make the dog feel, sitting there, alone, in strange surroundings, no owner, no friendly face.

Then I think Hey, I get to drive an A3 S-Line for the evening......

So here, as in the first installment of our saga, is when things get wierd.......

As I'm driving my loaner silver A3 down Broadway heading towards C470, I notice some sluggishness. I proceed. It returns intermittantly as though the car losses all boost, or, as if it were running out of go-juice. I check the guages, all fine- temp- check, fuel- check. This time however, before I can get on C470 the check engine light comes on and I decide its time to turn around. I limp back to the lot.

This is a 2007 A3 with 1600 miles on it.

I walk back up to the service woman and smile. I explain what happened and tell her I'm beginning to feel like I'm radioactive or something.

Just then, in a cloud of smoke, the Service Manager appears! and he kind of looks like Lex Luthor too, but that doesn't matter.

He says, "I'll save the day!" "I'll take Mr. Alvarez to his car" (Ok, he didnt say the part about saving the day- good thing too  :-\ )

So we jump in a TT and head off- all the way back down by C470 where their body shop lives. As we roll through Lex ..er uh Tim say's "Do you see it?"

"Nope" I say, then I spot her

In the garage, hood up. They aren't done. They would have been, if they had detailed the outside also- remember the "Full Detail" I kept highlighting earlier? yeah.....Apparently in dealer-ese that means "Windex the dash and wrap her up" I don't know. I also noticed the tree sap that was all over the passenger side of the car....funny thing that- there is no tree in my driveway and I never park under a tree at the office....hmmmm.

So needless to say, back to the office we go, where I am invited to pick up a nice 2007 A3 S-Line, this time in gunmetal gray.......

At this point, I'm open to an 'office pool' of sorts about what possible surprises I may have in store tomorrow!

...Yikes!

-G

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 12:02:45 AM »
The MAG body shop didn't even know the difference between Rave and Cosmic Green when they repaired my front bumper ::)
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Denvernoob

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 04:38:57 PM »
just a couple of ideas for the future...for reference.

dealership wise...take your A4 to Prestige Imports and talk to Rob Ellison.  I worked with him through my waranty period...and as far as SAs go, he is as good as they come.  his service is prompt, and i make a habit of referring him customers because he always takes care of his sh!t.  He knows me by name, and has always been extra friendly to people i have referred to him.

body work, if you ever need it, should NEVER happen at these local dealerships....they plain suck.  SVE in Broomfield is the way to go...they do great work (lets hope you dont need any in the future).

just a couple of points...you will be happy with factory service pretty much anywhere other than mcdonald.

-Ted Goldenberg
004.5 QMT6 Ultrasport Loaded
GIAC FX K04 w/ Injectors, K04-15
and about a million other big and little mods!

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 03:44:27 AM »
Thanks Ted! I appreciate it.

Well, I do have the car back.....But, this 'episode' of the story is so depressing and disappointing that I just don't feel like relating the latest in the saga tonight. I will catch it up tomorrow.

I will throw out the 'highlights' to set the stage for tomorrow though.

-Change in console pilferred

-I guess when I think of 'Complete Detailing' I think buffing and waxing- is that just my misunderstanding?

-New crease in fish scale trim, pass-rear door

-Steering wheel was never touched- I mean not even a half-assed attempt to clean it with windex- nothing.

Greasy black hand prints on the inside A-pillar drivers side.

-They had the car two days, the mats are still soaking wet and in my trunk (hmm guess I'd better go take those out and put them in the garage now that I think about it ;-) )

and the best one,

-New pencil-eraser sized gouge on pass A-pillar- Fortunately there is clear-protectant there, thats what took the force of the hit, but now there is a hole that goes down to the paint because some jackass picked at it.

:( ??? :-[ :-\ :'( >:( >:(

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »
Has anyone put these complaints into the BBB?

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 12:19:27 PM »
Has anyone put these complaints into the BBB?

Yeah, that's probably the next step. I am waiting to see if the Service Manager calls me this morning, I will have my 'attitude detector' turned up to high when I talk to him, if that goes off I will escalate to management.

Let me get some caffein in me this morning and I will relate the new stuff from yesterday, I forgot to add 'Damaged radio LCD display' to the list last night.

and oh yeah, the mats are still too wet to put back in the car this morning, so I get to use those paper mats that have "We Care" printed on them......

I've been told that I'm amazingly calm about all this  ;)

-Chris

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »

A lot calmer than I would have been.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »

I would have been yelling and cursing at anyone and everyone at the stealerhip by this point.

Wow, this just never ends. 

Denvernoob

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 04:34:11 PM »
so im beginning to feel like mcdonald might not be the place to take your car....

my ONLY experience with them was trying to buy my car....and they didnt want to let me!  i got the runaround on trying to get a deal...they basically shut down on me (and the car was on the lot!!!) and kindly asked me to leave.

so i got the vehicle's VIN on the way out, oredered the EXACT same car in a dealer trade (from OH where i was interning at the time) and had it trucked out from CO for $500....

mcdonaly wanted $38k, i payed $32.5k WITH the expense to move it from McDonald to columbus ohio....SAME CAR!  revenge was had in spades!  $5.5k saved for the same car i drove here in denver....VIN match and all! lololol.  after that, i promised myself i would NEVER go to mcdonald for anyting car related...i dont car if i have a coilpack fail in their front yard...id rather limp to ANYWHERE else to buy something or allow a person to touch my car. 
004.5 QMT6 Ultrasport Loaded
GIAC FX K04 w/ Injectors, K04-15
and about a million other big and little mods!

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 05:48:34 PM »
to quote Adam Sandler, "All things I could have known YESTERDAY!!  lol j/k I had read some to the past experiences here, but as I said at the onset, the decision was made on proximity- I know better now.  ::)

I called Prestige this morning and spoke with Mike Sorenson, the Service Manager. great guy- I presented the scenario and asked him "How should this have been handled?"

He informed me that they have actually seen this happen themselves, the 'rolled seal' issue. He went on to describe in detail their process which includes putting the car on a lift and cleaning the engine bay from underneath with steam, and low pressure wash. Then they dry the area well, looks for drips or residual oil, then they run the car on the lift to let it heat up and again they look for drips. All-in-all a thorough, careful process that is exactly what I would expect.

Clearly that was not performed on my vehicle as I still smell oil after driving it.

It's going on 2PM, I've heard nothing from the Service Manager as yet, I am going to escalate to the GM.

Chris
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 05:51:21 PM by Guinness »

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 08:26:50 PM »
to quote Adam Sandler, "All things I could have known YESTERDAY!!

Well, people responded immediately in the negative after your initial post but you went back after that (twice?). Plus, there was the aply titled 4-page thread: "Stay away from McDonald Automotive VW for service!"

Guinness

• Stock
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2007, 02:39:27 PM »
Well, people responded immediately in the negative after your initial post but you went back after that (twice?). Plus, there was the aply titled 4-page thread: "Stay away from McDonald Automotive VW for service!"

"lol j/k I had read some of the past experiences here, but as I said at the onset, the decision was made on proximity- I know better now."

;) :D