Author Topic: Hypnosis...crazy?  (Read 1479 times)

English

• Lightly Modded
Hypnosis...crazy?
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »
So as some of you know i travel around the country alot on my second job....but i have a fear of flying....so i drive everywhere! either by car or semi truck (i had to get back from Connecticut in 27 hours to get back to work in time for my real job)
So if i have to fly i usually resort to the classic travel sickness/sleeping pill cocktail before flight, then the 2 day drug hangover that follows...

I thought that i would try Hypnosis.....i know... stop laughing!
Well, call me old fashioned, call me crazy but it worked! I don't know how it worked but it worked. I'm back in Connecticut right now, flew in yesterday (delayed at the gate,sat on the runway for 30 mins,circled over PA for 45 mins, crazy turbulance all the way and.....no problems!!

Now being English it's in my nature to not trust anyone...including myself! so when someone tells me "by talking and making suggestions we can cure your fear" i'm looking for the guys in white coats!

Don't know if you guy's have ever thought of Hypnosis but if you don't like flying it work's. Well it did for me.....just a thought
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Hypnosis...crazy?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:10:24 PM »
I would be seriously interested in finding out more. I have a terrible fear of flying, and we tend to drive everywhere we can. It's that whole "control freak" thing. Since I'm not flying the plane I don't trust the pilot.

I did get over my fear of Doctors and Dentists, so hopefully flying is next. It is really cramping my plans of seeing far away places.

I did fly twice last year and I think it took about 6months off my life from the stress. Fortunately both flights were relatively short.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 02:10:24 PM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
Well I guess it is a good thing I am not scared of flying.

Back in the day I was on a plane about every week.  I used to fly to Europe about 8-10 times a year for about 5 years.  I even managed the "around the world" trip once.  I think between the ages of 14-21 I logged more hours on a air plane then I did in school, not that I am complaining.

Now as for Hypnosis, there are a few things I would like to be cured of, so I might have to give it a shot.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:12:39 PM »
I am impressed that it worked
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 11:13:31 AM »
I will forward you the name and address of the guy i saw when i get home. I still can't believe it worked but i guess there are some things that you just go with and don't question.
It's interesting that you mentioned the "trusting the pilot" thing....the hypnotist's twist on that to me was, i may not trust the pilot, but him flying the plane is a lot safer than handing me the controls! it's a simple thought but it's all in the way it's explained to you i guess?

amazing in this day and age of email/text/computers/blackberry's/internet.......all it take's is for someone to actually "talk" to you for something good to happen...just a thought
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »
I had a strange bout with this a few years back.  As a kid I loved to fly but in my 30's I started to get some anxiety.  I think it had more to do with other issues in my life at the time.  The main thing for me was just not knowing what was going on and if things were OK or not.  I learned to watch the flight attendants and if they seemed indifferent, no big deal.  Eventually I realized that once the door was sealed there was nothing I could do to change the outcome of the flight and the anxieties faded away.  Sometimes when I wake up from a nap over the Atlantic I get a brief feeling of "What am I doing here at 38,000 feet!?!  How can this possibly work?" but it goes away in a second.

Another thing that helped was that I had been flying on crappy 737s and frequently in bad weather.  I do not care for how those planes ride and they often had a nasty 'falling-apart' rattle in choppy air.  It wasn't the plane, it was all the junk inside of it which was cheap when it was first made and after years of abuse and indifferent maintenance had become loose, junky and rattly.  Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Oh, another thing that helped was that I met a Southwest pilot at a party and he was telling harrowing stories of his days flying A-6's off carriers in the Gulf.  Made landing a 737 on an runway that was well-lit and not moving, sound pretty easy.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 02:01:48 PM »
Sorry it took so long, but here's the name of the Hypnotist i visited.

Steve Hansen. CH NLPP
Certified Hypnotherapist

303-423-1752
www.ColoradoMindCoach.com

Office located in Diamond Hill at I-25 and Speer (opposite side of I-25 to REI)

I'm not trying to advertise for anyone, just passing on a name of someone who helped me.
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS