Author Topic: Should I or Shoulnt I ??  (Read 3398 times)

JetterBug

• Stock
Should I or Shoulnt I ??
« on: July 03, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »
Hello everyone! So I was just doing some checking around getting the spark plugs done, EEEEK its mighty pricey. My question is, can I just change them myself? What brands do you recommend, and do you have any suggestions for me on accomplishing this?  :-[
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:28:31 AM by 03Indigo »
Love, like a river, will cut a new path
whenever it meets an obstacle.

- Crystal Middlemas -

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Should I or Shoulnt I ??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »
Autobahn did mine recently, it was not that expensive.

You can also do it yourself.  They need to be torqued to a spec, backed out, and re-torqued, not that hard, just want to make sure you don't strip the threads, etc.

I am a fan of Denso or NGK, right now I have Denso in all my cars, IK20 or IK22 depending on the car.  I like the iridium plugs, no real reason, just seem to always end up with them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 06:57:28 PM by 03Indigo »

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »
Just remember your car uses coil packs and not a distributor based system so changing plugs is a little more involved as you need to remove each coil pack and you don't want to damage them. On top of that you need to clean the area up will  before removing the plugs so you don't get crap falling into the engine when you remove the old plug.. I have only done it on the long 1.8T in the Passat/A4, never on a VR6.

The first time you do it it will take a while as you get used to yanking the coil packs and then the plugs. After you do it the first time it will be a easy. The good news is the plugs are good for a ling time so it will be a few years before you need to do it again.

If you are hesitant to do it on your own I really do recommend Autobahn as Jon said. Prices are reasonable and they are straight shooters. They aren't going to lie to you or make stuff up that costs more.

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:53:39 PM »
Hello everyone! So I was just doing some checking around getting the spark plugs done, EEEEK its mighty pricey. My question is, can I just change them myself? What brands do you recommend, and do you have any suggestions for me on accomplishing this?  :-[

Did you specifically choose that color font to be impossible to read or was it just bad luck?  :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:32:49 AM »
Angle your monitor and yhou can see it ;D

I ran Beru plugs in my Passat. Changed them myself with no issues. You should be fine, but if you are hesitant, have Randy or Todd do it.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

masterqi

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 04:02:59 AM »
Angle your monitor and yhou can see it ;D

Actually if I really want to see it, then highlighting it works best, but really the problem is pink-on-grey is not quite tops for legibility. Actually it makes me somewhat ill. :P

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 10:29:11 AM »
I changed it so it was easier to read ;)...but left it colored so it can be girlie and stuff to suit Sarah. :)

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »
So I dont know what happened with the color... but girlie is my thing so my apologies if it was hard to read.  ;)

As far as the plug thing, thank you so much for all your replies. I haven't started my official research on doing it myself yet. I had an awful 4th of July and just laid around. Hope everyone around here had a good 4th. The Bimmer was broken into and my ipod was stolen but hey at least they didnt steal the car right?!

Well I am off to Florida and wont be on here until I return on the 16th so have a happy start to your July and talk to you when I get back. I'm sure I'll have many more plugs questions when Tim & I get ready to start that

Thanks again  :D
Sarah

PS was this color any better?

- Crystal Middlemas -

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about the break in and theft Sarah, have a safe trip and hopefully it is a vacation to unwind.

We'll still be here when you get back.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
bummer about the break in. 

enjoy FL.  we were down there last week.  It was super hot and humid.  made me glad to be back here.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 07:25:39 PM »
people suck, sorry about the break in and the loss of your iPod. 

color is much better :)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
I am sorry about the break in.  It just rips your heart out.  A car is end the end a car and can be repaired.  Lost items can be replaced, but the anger and hurt cannot be erased.  Enjoy your trip to Fl. and look forward to hearing about when you get back.

As for the plugs, I agree with the other postings about brands.  I have NGK's and they have been great.  Once you pull the first coil pack and understand it, the rest are easy. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:52:24 PM by SweetVW »
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »
Hello all, hope your July started off wonderfully. I have a question, why do bad things happen in 3s?! So right before we left, the pod got stolen. Then on vacation the flash on my camera just stopped working and then I get home and try to vaccuum my place, and guess what? Vac broke. GRRRR.

So vacation was wonderful, I cant believe its over already. I had a horrible dream the day before we flew home; I dreamt the Jetta was stolen from the airport parking lot. Needless to say I was ecstatic when we got there and it was in the same spot. Just filthy now  :'(

That's all for now, we are going to be started the plug stuff probably next month. Yikes, be prepared for this ones questions  ;)

- Crystal Middlemas -

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »
Of those three bad things, they are all cheaper than replacing a car, so be thankful. Vacations are always too short, though I find I need a vacation from the vacation before going back to work.

We're here to help on the tech stuff if you need it. Might be worthy of a Garage Day too. I'm sure some other members have some things they would like to do. We haven't had a Garage Day in awhile, they are good because everyone tries to chip in and help out where they can.

It is really helpful when accomplishing a task for the firs time. If you two would be interested in that out out a date you are thinking about doing the work and we can look into finding a host house.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 06:23:42 PM »
I TOTALLY believe in the rule of 3's.  Bad stuff always happens like that, especially at work.

Sorry you had troubles, but glad  you had a good vay-cay :)

Our next vay-cay is not until February...we are going somewhere warm in the middle of the winter :)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »
I TOTALLY believe in the rule of 3's.  Bad stuff always happens like that, especially at work.

Sorry you had troubles, but glad  you had a good vay-cay :)

Our next vay-cay is not until February...we are going somewhere warm in the middle of the winter :)

True that, I won't mention mine ::) Yeah, a garage day would be sweet. I'll host. ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner