Author Topic: "1 little - 2 little - 3 little...."  (Read 1492 times)

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
"1 little - 2 little - 3 little...."
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:36:55 AM »
"Coil packs replaced in my car to-day!"

On my way home from work today the GTI started running really rough.  The engine light was on and blinking.  I nursed her home and took a VAG read.  The VAG report was that cylinders 1 and 2 were misfiring.  I know the plugs were ok due to checking them a week ago.  I set off to Emich VW to get their thoughts and possibly buy some new coil packs. 

I got there and thinking on the way that it had to be the coil packs.  The way the car ran was very similar to when the #3 coil pack failed.  I got to Emich and talked to Todd (really cool service guy) and I showed him my VAG print out.  He took it back to one of the mechanics and they both came back and after speaking for a few minutes the mechanic thought it sounded like the coil packs.  He wanted me to also check the wire harness that ran to the packs to make sure that they were not cracked or broken.  I went ahead and instead of replacing two packs and waiting for #4 to fail.  I just replaced all three.

I got home and replaced the three packs.  I noticed that I went from revision L to revision R.  I cleared all error codes and while closing my eyes turned the ignition.  The car started fine and idled fine.  With the VAG running, I went for a 10 minute drive and she ran like a champ.

I really appreciate the guys at Emich for working with me and giving me their opinion.  No charge for 10 minutes of their time.  Todd also wanted me to convey a thank you for all of the business that the guys from the local clubs have been sending their way.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: "1 little - 2 little - 3 little...."
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:08:09 AM »
That's great Dave! Glad to see Emich has become such a shade tree mechanic friendly place.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:08:09 AM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:26:21 AM »
wooo hooo, good advice and help from a dealer.  You don't hear of that very often.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:47:39 AM »
Awesome Dave! I remember when I was rolling about something like 2.5 CPs. By the time I hit 4K RPM, I couldn't make anymore power. Nada.

[Tangent]I do want to fill you in a bit about Emich: I bought my Passata couple years ago when it was still Mountain States. A couple of the staff became good friends through that experience. Several others were even enthusiasts. Then about a year later, they ran into some bad ownership. Virtually all of the staff then quit and moved on.

I was in there before I left when I found out some of my friends were back working for them. In their words, they're trying to "put the old crew back together." They a firm believers and love the new ownership and their ownership seems to stand by them.

Ian and I can both attest to a few of their techs being enthusiasts and active in the local motorsports scene.

So from me, I have have nothing but good things to say about Emich. It's like going back to the old Mountain States, but better :P Of course, us Audi guys are still stuck with less-than-stellar dealerships :(

Cheers! Glad things worked out for you Dave!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 12:09:10 PM »
Ian and I can both attest to a few of their techs being enthusiasts and active in the local motorsports scene.

Yep, yep...one of their Techs did a NASA HPDE inspection for me as well as the brake light replacement, even before the recall was sent out.  Good folks over there!
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com