Author Topic: Used bike store?  (Read 2649 times)

English

• Lightly Modded
Used bike store?
« on: July 07, 2007, 12:55:14 PM »
So i think some of you guys are mountain bikers, if so do you know of any good used bike stores where i could purchase a good used hard tail?
I'm looking for a quality frame/fork/wheelset and i can upgrade replace the rest. Don't need titanium but a high end Trek/Cannondale would do me fine.
Thanks in advance!!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: Used bike store?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »
I have always had good luck buying used race bikes.  find a shop that employs some racers and buy one of their bikes directly from them at the end of the season.

craig's list is also usually a good source for used bikes
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 01:30:49 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 07:42:43 PM »
There are a lot of deals on new bikes too.  I bought a bike similar to this one recently:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23881&subcategory_ID=3050

If you order from the store on the 'red phone' there is no shipping (but you pay tax) and they assemble it for you.  They did for me, anyway.  there are a few Performance stores around.  Boulder, Westminster, ?

-Joel.

2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:18:31 PM »
Thanks,
"jfram"....I did look at performance bike......they have some great deals online...i really want something lighter/more race but due to budget constraints, used is my only option.

"gragravar"....nice thought on the race bike purchase....i'll have to look into that.
love what you have done/are doing to the Allroad...hopefully someday i'll make it to a GTG/track meet and finally meet it and yourself?
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
"gragravar"....nice thought on the race bike purchase....i'll have to look into that.
love what you have done/are doing to the Allroad...hopefully someday i'll make it to a GTG/track meet and finally meet it and yourself?

would love to meet you and show you the allroad.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 09:46:26 PM »
I'll sell you my Kona for 1 meelion dollars!

If you get a hankering and want to check out some new stuff, call Lance down at The Agency Bike+Board. Owner and good friend, knows his stuff and usually stocks a variety. 303.703.6800
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Richard-EB

• Lightly Modded
  • EuroBerge Editor
    • EuroBerge Magazine
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:06:37 PM »
I loved the service I got at Littleton Cycles.  May be a little out of the way for you, but the prices and selection were always fair when I went there.

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.jackham.net
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »
There is a used bike shop (does a lot of ebay stuff) in Wheat Ridge.  They are on the north side of 38th somewhere West of Sheridan and East of pierce... but I don't remember the exact location. 

I think they are called Fly Bike shop.  Descent guys... nothing to brag about IMO.
Life's too short to be taken seriously

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 01:48:57 AM »
nice, thanks for the leads, i'll let you know how i get on.

Jay......"one meelion dollars" (pinky finger on lower lip).......payment plan?....

Richard.....i live in Breckenridge so everything is out of the way for me!!...thanks for the tip.

I should say that i have an "upgraded" Trek Fuel full suspension, and that i'm looking to race so as i'm getting to old to peddle a full suspension uphill, thats why i want a hardtail.

When i say "to old" i really mean "to lazy".....you know...job...work...kid....booze!! all that fun stuff!!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 02:26:48 AM »
nice, thanks for the leads, i'll let you know how i get on.

Jay......"one meelion dollars" (pinky finger on lower lip).......payment plan?....

Richard.....i live in Breckenridge so everything is out of the way for me!!...thanks for the tip.

I should say that i have an "upgraded" Trek Fuel full suspension, and that i'm looking to race so as i'm getting to old to peddle a full suspension uphill, thats why i want a hardtail.

When i say "to old" i really mean "to lazy".....you know...job...work...kid....booze!! all that fun stuff!!

I dunno dude, the tech is getting so good now as far as suspension goes...I used to be hardcore hardtail. I have an '07 Kona Coiler- and it's WAY easier to climb on that beast than it was my hardtail. I'll take FS all the way from hear on out.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 02:55:02 AM »
A well designed full suspension with a good pedaling technique is hands down faster than a hardtail.  Only someone with horrible, hideous pedaling technique would climb faster on a hardtail.... as long was the trail has bumps and rocks and loose stuff... it is so packed that it is like pavement, then it is a different story.

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »
good points.......i suppose i'm just bored with my bike right now and am looking for a change.....it's not that it's a bad bike...Trek fuel 90,lockout air shock,XTR rear derailier,XTR crank,Haynes discs, etc, etc.....i've had it for about 6 years, i used to work as a guide around here and guide groups of 20 on rides in Moab, Slickrock Porkupine rim, gemini bridges etc....so i know the bike inside out...

Boredom sucks!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

Spicoli

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 05:32:02 PM »
fuel 90 with those couple upgrades is a fine bike.  The lockout you should only use on pavement.

If you just want a new bike, the shock technologies (fox RP3, etc... basically stable platform shocks) make FS bikes unreal.  You can ride a 5" travel bike and except for the slacker angles, it rides like a 3" travel bike. 

My personal favorite bikes are the AS-R by yeti, Stumpjumper FSRs and the 2 shorter travel Rocky Mountain bikes which I can't remember their names right now.  For all around riding they are great... if you want a more racey feel in a bike AS-R and RM short travel are the way to go.  More trail feel it is hard to beat those stumpjumpers.