Author Topic: I think my PS Pump is toast  (Read 2329 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
I think my PS Pump is toast
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »
I have been trying to track down a leak, had APS look at it and we couldn't find it. I am still leaking oil and it has been making me nuts.

On our way back from Vegas last week I hit a nasty pot hole on I-70 EB ascending Vail Pass. Shook us to the bone. After doing that my red brake light started coming on. However it was flickering and it would go out.

I was like, aww damn, something has come loose. Since we were on the home stretch I pulled off at the summit of Vail Pass at the rest area and eyeballed stuff. Everything appeared okay, brakes felt good so we moved on.

Still leaking oil, popped the wheel off the other night, inspected the brakes on that side, nothing is loose everything appears okay, wiggled wires and put the wheel back on. Now the brake light comes on right away and sticks around.

After doing some research it sounds like the hydraulic ps pump is leaking possibly and that jolt probably just sent it over the edge and it can't keep up.

Good news is the brakes still feel fine and I am going to try and find once and for all where that leak is. The bad news is I hate having to go get a part and have it swapped out.

So anyway, I will be working on this some this weekend if anyone is bored and wants to hunt for a leak.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: I think my PS Pump is toast
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 09:33:51 PM »
wish I could make it over to help....but the work thing is in my way :(

good luck in the hunt!!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 09:33:51 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:04:24 AM »
On our way back from Vegas last week I hit a nasty pot hole on I-70 EB ascending Vail Pass. Shook us to the bone. After doing that my red brake light started coming on. However it was flickering and it would go out.

I was like, aww damn, something has come loose. Since we were on the home stretch I pulled off at the summit of Vail Pass at the rest area and eyeballed stuff.

your luck on vail pass just bites.  I am beginning to think you need to find a new route through the mountains.   ;)

sorry to hear about the PS pump.  good luck in finding the leak.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 01:48:47 AM »
About 15 years ago I blew a radiator hose on that ascent in my Delta 88 coming back from skiing. I am all too aware of my calamities involving Vail Pass. :D

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 03:17:16 AM »
About 15 years ago I blew a radiator hose on that ascent in my Delta 88 coming back from skiing. I am all too aware of my calamities involving Vail Pass. :D

The first thing that went through my mind was that my parents had a Delta 88, but then I realized you're not THAT old, but man 15 years sounds like a long time ago, and then I realize how old I'm getting or rather how old that makes me sound. Thanks Jay, keep thoughts like that to yourself okay? ;D ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 12:17:58 PM »
My Delta 88 was an 85, it was a big ol luxury car that me and 8 of my closest friends could cram into. Oh, and if you;re feeling old, I am feeling older, so maybe that will make you feel better.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »
Oh, and if you;re feeling old, I am feeling older, so maybe that will make you feel better.

dude, even older here...

(waits for Jon who I believe has me by a couple of months)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 03:18:07 PM »
I had an eye appt this morning so my vision is still all jacked, I'm guessing I wont be looking at my PS Pump until tomorrow.

I am praying that it is like a bad hose or something.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »
Oh and if you are wondering how I am typing this...very carefully. Good news is even though I think my vision is bad, it is still 20/15 I am a 0 in my left eye and a +5 in my right. Meaning my left eye has deteriorated a little over my life but my vision has been the same for 6 years now even though it seems to be worse to me.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 04:02:07 PM »
I had an eye appt this morning so my vision is still all jacked, I'm guessing I wont be looking at my PS Pump until tomorrow.

I am praying that it is like a bad hose or something.

It's not your vision. You really do look that old.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner