Author Topic: 325 shocks  (Read 4266 times)

JetterBug

• Stock
325 shocks
« on: July 19, 2007, 12:40:28 PM »
Here is my newest question...what brand of shocks are good for a tighter suspension without compromising the ride too much. Don't really want to lower at this time either.

And also, does adding a cold air intake(or short ram) and better exhaust really make that much of a performance difference. Looking at an AFE intake and remus exhaust for the bimmer which are both pretty pricey for me if it is only going to gain a better sound.

Any suggestions welcome for some bolt on applications...

Thanks Guys!!  :D
Sarah
Love, like a river, will cut a new path
whenever it meets an obstacle.

- Crystal Middlemas -

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: 325 shocks
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »
Remus makes some great stuff for BMWs.  I have their full exhaust for my motorcycle and it is awesome.  well worth the price.  As for the suspension, we have the factory sport package on our 330i and I have never (even at the track) felt it needed to be any tighter.  I'd encourage you to find a take-off factory sport package from someone that upgraded theirs.  If you need to go aftermarket, check with ASW in Broomfield.  They used to carry Dinan parts, if they still do you may be able to pick up some Dinan suspension pieces.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:40:16 PM »
BimmerHaus is also in Broomfield, not far from SVE adn ASW.  That woudl be another good source.

Bimmer Haus Perfromance Group.  www.bimmerhaus.com
7233 W. 116th Place #A
Broomfield, Colorado 80020
720-566-0521

for aftermarket, Bilstein, www.bilstein.com.  They make great performance options.  We have them on my wife's Tacoma, and Pat has them on his Audi A4.  All around, they are a great option, no matter what the application.

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 01:46:20 PM »
Thanks guys! I sure wish money grew on trees...  :D

- Crystal Middlemas -

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
you and me both....online car part shopping is a bad thing...I just ordered a bunch of stuff for the MINI, again :)

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 02:12:19 PM »
Thanks guys! I sure wish money grew on trees...  :D

Not me, then I'd have to go pick it.  I wish it would grow like lint in my pocket (or wallet).
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »
I wish it would grow like lint in my pocket (or wallet).

or belly button.

sorry, that was probably a visual we didn't all need.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:46:23 PM »
Belly button jam!!   :P

- Crystal Middlemas -

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »
Where do you think we can start our mods on the bimmer without jeopardizing the warranty? We already have the rims picked out, just waiting for summer. Whats the point in getting them in time for the snow?!  ???

- Crystal Middlemas -

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »
suspension, I always like to dosuspension first...but no matter what you do, every time you change something on a car, you affect your warranty, you just have to decide what you are willing to live with if something breaks and won't be covered.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 07:56:24 PM »
I went the opposite way with rims on the BMW.  we run the factory sport package //M rims in the summer, and I picked out a set of cheap aluminum rims from tire rack for the winter.  I didnt want to slide the $550 each //M rims into a curb.  that car does enough sliding in the winter.  did I mention the 330i doesnt like the snow very much (but dunlop M2s help it with that.)

as for your warranty question, if you pick a non-factory part, the dealer will have to prove that any failure you want fixed under warranty was caused by that non-factory part before they can claim your warranty does not apply.

for example if you get new rims and all of a sudden the sunroof stops working, warranty would still cover the sunroof (unless you dropped one of those rims through it or something)

however, if you add a chip or air intake then have engine difficulties, odds are they will try to claim that the chip caused the problem.  they could try that with exhaust too but are less likely to do so IMHO.   

Similarly, if you do new suspension then have issues with control arms or bearings odds are they would tell you you are not covered.

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »
Wow, that information really helped. The rims we have picked out are... beyern five in the silver-y non chrome. 18x8.5 in the front and 18x9.5 in the rear. We are excited to get started already, hehe. We want to try to keep up, or rather catch up with you guys  ;)

- Crystal Middlemas -

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 08:37:24 PM »
Do you think we woudl need to get the suspension done immediately after the new rims? What would be better tire sizes...225/45/18 front  255/40/18 rear or 225/35/18 front and 255/30/18 rear. Or any suggestions?

- Crystal Middlemas -

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 08:45:32 PM »
the larger profile woudl be better, less rim damage.  Not sure how they relate to your OEM specs, tire diameter, but I say, if you can shove extra rubber in there, go for it.  It also fills up the wheel gap more and avoids that SUV look.  and it will protect your new rims, not totally, but every little bit helps.  The ride also won't be as harsh.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 08:49:14 PM »
to figure out tire sizes, start with your stock tire size then plug the new size your are thinking of into the tire size calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

it will show you how close in circumference the 2 tire sizes are. 

to be honest, a stock 325 will look funny riding on 18s as there will be a big gap between the fender and the tire that will be odd with a narrow sidewall of the 18" tire.

but looks are the only thing that will be weird, and the softer stock suspension may ride better with the 18" tires.

I'd really reconsider and think about 17s.  with 18s budget $400 per year for trips to woodys wheel works to be fixing bent rims.

our 330i runs 225/45-17s in the front and 245/40-17s in the rear.  in the winter we run 225/45-17s on all 4 tires.

one last thought.  is your 325 an xi (awd?)?  if so I'd heavily suggest not going with a staggered setup the awd system needs all 4 tires to be the same size.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 08:52:38 PM »
one more offer - before you spend big $$$ on a rim/tire/suspension combo you are not happy with (I think 18s and stiff coils would be really harsh), if you want to try the 330i with factory sport suspension and running on 17's, let me know.  I am more generous in letting people drive my wifes car than mine.   ;) 

JetterBug

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 08:58:38 PM »
one more offer - before you spend big $$$ on a rim/tire/suspension combo you are not happy with (I think 18s and stiff coils would be really harsh), if you want to try the 330i with factory sport suspension and running on 17's, let me know.  I am more generous in letting people drive my wifes car than mine.   ;) 

Thats sooooo nice!!! I think Ill have to get Tim on here one day, its funny relaying the stuff you are telling me to him. LOL. We have IM at work and thats how we talk all day.  :D I like to bother him, and so long as its car related he is happy! LOL. Anyways, think we might have to take a trip up to Denver to test out your car  ;D

- Crystal Middlemas -

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 09:23:21 PM »
I'll pm you my phone so you can call when you guys think you want to head up here.  we are pretty far on the north side of Denver, so plan on a long drive from the springs.

In general weekends would be best. 

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 08:41:51 PM »
if you don't want to sacrafice the warranty you could always use Dinan parts/packages. http://www.dinancars.com/ atleast that way you are using factory approved aftermarket stuff.