Author Topic: 300 miles on the BMW and some old iron.  (Read 1355 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
300 miles on the BMW and some old iron.
« on: July 21, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Since I didn't get the Scout done in time for the RMIHR this weekend I decided to day trip to Salida for the show and at least see what was there this year. I missed the last 3 years, so it was really important for me to go.

I am working uploading the pictures now, once they are done I will post a link. In the mean time I am beat and hungry

« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 01:05:21 AM by gietl »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: 300 miles on the BMW and some old iron.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »
sounds like a wonderful day.  can't wait to see the pics.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 01:05:31 AM »
Pictures uploaded

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 02:11:44 AM »
Awesome pictures.  glad you got in a good ride.

do you have a higher res version of that first yellow 800 series.  one that shows the detail from the history pics a little better?  looks like it was white to begin with.  and since I had a white 800 series in high school...

always wondered what might have happened to that thing.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 01:18:35 PM »
Haha, that is a very hard to find sport top. It's a funny story so I will tell it here and try to make it as short as I can.

Much like you guys know, pretty much everyone that knows me, knows my Scout. It's like a part of me and I can talk about it for days on end. So a few days ago I get a PM on another forum (for Scouts) from a friend I haven't talked to in awhile. She asks me if I am going to be there and says "I just got a new sport top last fall so we'll have them both there."

Well I haven't seen this friend in a few years and on top of that I am thinking, I would know if someone else had a Scout because we would talk about them all the time. That's just how it goes. So then I start wondering if I am thinking of the wrong person or what.

Anyway, I get out to the show, walk around, see their red sport top:

No sign of the owners. I keep walking around, finish looking at the show rigs then head to the vendor area inside a big building. In there are hte Best of Show contenders including the yellow sport top. This is their other sport top. And of course the only two at the show.

I go get something to eat, get some contact info from a vendor for some parts and head back to the show area to start taking pictures. As I work my way back to the red sport top, there they are. Now I have never met my friends husband (that I recall). So I say hi and we get to talking. Of course we are talking about the sport tops.

I then start telling them this story about how I lived by DU and one day while waiting in line at Chipotle I see this beat up yellow sport top pull up outside and I leave the line and run outside to talk to the owner. Right when i say that my friends husband blurts out "THat was me!."

Small freaking world eh.

Anyway, the yellow sport top was always yellow. I cropped the board out of the hi res and tried to make it web friendly.

Here is a link to that image which will display even larger:

http://www.jaygietl.com/bb_pics/yellow_sport_top_board.jpg

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »
you are right, that looks like it was yellow its whole life.  oh well, not mine.

and mine wasnt a sport top either - just a regular old '67 800 series.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein