Author Topic: Weekend mods to my car!  (Read 2341 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
Weekend mods to my car!
« on: August 04, 2007, 07:28:18 PM »
I finally get to work on my own car for a change.  I have been collecting parts from months and finally decided to get to work.

I just replaced the timing belt, H20 Pump, etc.  To my surprise the car was not in time. :o  I had the belt changed really early due to a water pump failure and the shop that did it 4 years ago mis-timed the motor.  It was one tooth off on the cam pully.  Thankfully it was just one tooth off.  The cams were retarted so there was no danger of interfearance, however this does explain some of the low end power struggles my car has had.  I never really noticed the problem untill I started running E85 full time.  SO hopefully now that the motor is back in time I will be better on the low end.

I have also replace the Valve cover gasket and cam chain tensioner gaskets.  This is the 2nd time for both.  I have very pleased to see NO sign of sludge or deposits in the head.  Just goes to show that Pentosyn 5W40 full Synthetic is as good as I have always believed it to be.  115,000 miles on the motor and it makes no noise in the valve train.

Next I have finally put a K04 in the car.  I am testing a file for GIAC and needed to have the car ready when Jeff Moss comes to town later this month.  I will also be working on the E85 conversion with the K04.  I am looking forward to the added power.

Finally I am fabricating a Front Mount Intercooler.  I have had the core hear for about a year.  We finally have all the tools needed to bend, role, and weld the tubing to plumb the cooler.  It is huge!  I hope to market the kit in the future, as the B5.5 Passat has a tom of space for a FMIC and not company is making one specific to this car.

Well that is all for now.  I will report back on the final results as soon as the car is back on the road.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Weekend mods to my car!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »
Awesome progress Randy, it's sad sometimes that all the great stuff you do to our cars you don't get to do to yours because of time.

Look forward to hearing how the K04 / E85 prog turns out.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 09:37:19 PM »
wow, that is some list of things you are working on.  I think it is cool that you are making your own FMIC.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 01:18:41 PM »
I have to have the car back on the road tonight.  I can not afford to tie up a lift during the week for my own car.

All the work was completed yesterday, with the exception of making the intercooler piping.  I will be here all day working with Todd and Peter on that.

I will be taking pictures as we build the FMIC, so I will post them once we are finished.  Nothing like stuffing a 23X12X3 hunk of aluminum in your car.

Oh also, thanks to a deal with Jon, my car will have nice shinny headlights again.  I can not believe how bad the original lights look.  Thanks again Jon!
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:42:58 PM »
you are welcome Randy!!!  I could not think of a better place for those headlights to go to!!!!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 11:56:01 PM »
Awesome Randy!!! I'm glad you're FINALLY able to get to your car after the couple years of putting it off for us  ;)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:29:42 PM »
I have to have the car back on the road tonight.  I can not afford to tie up a lift during the week for my own car.

no doubt.  the rest of us need that lift this week.

sounds like some awesome mods to your car Randy.  glad to hear you have it coming along.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 09:11:37 PM »
Well the Sled is back on the road!  I will post details and pictures as soon as I can get them loaded on my computer.

Time to go home, now ;D
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 01:34:21 AM »
When is Jeff coming to town?
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 02:09:00 AM »
August 22-24 he will be @ the shop.  I will post final details once they are figured out.
Autobahn Premier Service
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065