Author Topic: my turbo has a heart beat  (Read 1469 times)

A4play

• Stock
my turbo has a heart beat
« on: August 08, 2007, 01:05:57 AM »
Hey all I'm hopin' someone can help me out or point me in the right direction with this one. first of all this is about an '01 A4 1.8t... I was driving I-70 in the mountains today (first time in a car with some balls) and I was loving being able to actually pass people going uphill, what a concept ;D!! but anyway I have a boost gauge installed, and when the car was pinned in 5th gear going uphill my boost was pulsating between 14-16 psi and you could really feel the power surges, but it wasnt a consistant pulsating. first of all I didnt even know my car had a chip when i bought it so I dont know what electronics are making my car push that much boost, is this something I should be worried about? maybe a sign something is about to fail? *crossing my fingers its not the turbo :-[* I cannot afford to replace that right now... I dunno if this changes anything, but I have a forge 007 diverter valve, K&N filter and a Borla turbo back exhaust (building up for the K04... eventually) thanks in advance for any of your help!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: my turbo has a heart beat
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:16:34 AM »
Could be a weak bypass valve, and if you are boosting that high, well that is even high for a standard 1bar chip. I thing around 12 would be expected with a 1bar. Though adding int eh exhaust with the chip you could be getting some gain?

The diverter/bypass valve is probably adjustable and should be rebuildable. I'm not sure how old it is. Also, as always check your hoses for any signs of wear. Typically if the bypass valve is failing it will peak and then not hold, but is something is just off a bit with it it could flutter.

I know when I hit my peak boost at about 23psi it will hold as long as I am keeping on the throttle.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:16:34 AM »

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:18:42 AM »
Car has software of some kind, no stock A4 makes that much boost.  I would not worry that something is about to fail.  Most failures show signs of low boost or erratic boost fluctuations.

Enjoy the power ;D
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

A4play

• Stock
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
awsome thank you guys, yeah my forge did come with several springs, but I only put the factory spring in because I didnt think my car had any software. I'll try changing that out.