Author Topic: Loose FMIC  (Read 2719 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Loose FMIC
« on: August 14, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »
Looks like my intercooler is abnormally loose. I'll have to conduct some maintenance tonight!

I'm wondering too if it's the culprit of my odd sounds I have yet been able to locate. I only discovered it the other day after my mom backed into it (I don't usually poke around my FMIC for no reason :D She was really worried. I think she hit it at all of like 2mph.

My front end is so hammered by rocks...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
Re: Loose FMIC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »
I have some photos I took and will try to get them up tonight. I left my camera cable at home ::)

Anyway, what I discovered was my whole front end was falling off. Whoever took it off last sort slapped it back together without securing the bumper bar, or the bumper cover. The bumper bar was almost completely off being held only be two small screws through shop-fabricated holes.

Annoying to say the least. How hard is it to put a car back together right? I think I need to order a few parts from Randy now  :P

I also snapped a couple photos of my blow A/C compressor so you see what a grenaded compressor looks like :o
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:47:14 PM »
Here are the photos:

Here are two shots of the grenaded  A/C compressor:
Car 001_400x600Car 002_400x600

And last night's falling front-end debacle:
Car 003_800x533

This is the culprit: The bumper bar was barely hanging on by two tiny bolts on teh bottom. It was supposed to be attached here, it's attached now but not OEM. I need to find out what's going on with these bolts:
Car 004_800x533

And I've decided I don't like the "Gallery Image" options.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:00:04 PM »

The good news is there is an easy solution for that!

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 08:02:57 PM »
The good news is there is an easy solution for that!

Yer mom!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:30:01 PM »
it looks like your rebar might have been modified. there is usually a big bolt going down thru there.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »
it looks like your rebar might have been modified. there is usually a big bolt going down thru there.

Exactly, and the blot won't or it isn't going through there. I wouldn't call it "modifed" either lol The FMIC has plenty of room to breath behind the bumper bar. I'm thinking it was killed by the yahoos at Eurocode when they installed the FMIC. The tiny bolts they used to keep the bumper bar attached to the bumper cover (yes, you did read that correctly) were small with small heads and no washers so they were slipping through the bumper cover holes causing the whole thing to sag.

Neither bolt housing looks the same in the rebar. I still need to investigate how it's supposed to look/work. It seems it's a one-time use deal? The housing in the slip-joint thing in the rebar appears to be stripped/broken.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 11:08:35 PM »
looks like you need a new big bolt, and maybe a BFHammer to get it back in there.  good luck.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 11:32:21 PM »

because you can't do this? ;), haha

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 12:30:10 AM »
because you can't do this? ;), haha

Or this...

Ahhhh, ancient chinese secret...;) ;D
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 02:22:33 AM »
Yeah! See, I can do that, but don't know how to do it with the "Gallery Image" option. Oh well, I'll just be old skool.

The bolt's in there but it won't go up or down. It's a weird deal and nearly impossibly to describe. I should draw a picture in paint  ;D

I kinda hope Randy jumps in with some of his chinese er...New Belgium secrets. I know what it's supposed to do on the Passat, but it was a VASTLY superior automobile ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:25:31 AM by jayryan »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 09:01:30 AM »
Just make the hole bigger, with a monster metal bit, then put in a new bolt :)

Just kidding, hope you figure it out soon.  I know Randy is a little on the low side, he hurt his back the other day.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
Thanks Jon. I really don't need to figure it out soon, so much as I just want to figure it out. I was able to secure everything nice and tight and get it put back togther and it's better than it was. I just want to be able to make it OEM.

In any case, I need an oil change, bulbs, clear some codes related to said bulbs, and new front brakes followed by some winter tread. This winter I have only one thing on the agenda for the car...get that ultrasport front lip purchased, painted and installed. I need to get those guages in one day as well :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner