Author Topic: A1 - and not the steaksauce  (Read 1152 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
A1 - and not the steaksauce
« on: August 16, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »

BMW's Mini Cooper will come under fire in 2009, when Audi introduces an entry-level A1 model, followed by a top-secret high-performance S1 model aimed squarely at the Cooper S.

Although Audi officials in the United States are mum on the project, highly placed sources in Ingolstadt say the car is being engineered for both the European and the North American market. Coupe, convertible and three- and five-door hatchback versions are all in the product portfolio.

The range-topping performance S1, shown in these illustrations, will be powered by a 180-to-200-hp version of parent company Volkswagen�TMs 1.4-liter Twincharger (supercharged and turbocharged) engine, coupled to a Haldex-style multiplate-clutch transmission to give it permanent all-wheel drive. A seven-speed direct-shift gearbox would be standard. Sources say the S1 will be capable of 0 to 60 mph in less than 7.0 seconds and will have a top speed of about 150 mph.

The base front-wheel-drive A1 likely will be powered by VW�TMs 1.4-liter four-cylinder direct-injection engine, producing 90 hp (naturally aspirated) or 120 hp (turbocharged) in Europe, but larger engines could be offered in U.S. models. Diesel models are also in the works. The standard A1 transmission will be a six-speed manual, with the seven-speed DSG optional on higher-end models.

While styling is always a key element of an Audi�TMs appeal, engineers aren�TMt taking dynamics for granted. Early plans had the new car based on the relatively basic and cheap-to-produce underpinnings of the last-generation VW Golf, complete with a torsion-beam rear suspension. But concerns about its ability to deliver a Mini-competitive driving spirit led to the decision to use the newer and more expensive mechanical package from the next-gen VW Polo. The new suspension offers two rear layouts, including a multilink setup that permits greater individual tuning.

Look for the A1 to reach the United States in mid-2010, following its European debut in late 2009. The A1 is part of an extensive new-model push by Audi. Known internally as Route 15, the plan calls for boosting global sales beyond 1.5 million by 2015. AutoWeek has learned the A1 is targeted for first-year sales of 100,000 to 150,000 cars worldwide.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Re: A1 - and not the steaksauce
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Wow, that looks pretty sexy!!
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
I see a hot little car that will be way overpriced. For the spec, I'd want to see pricing close to a Scion.

I read the S1: "Audi's R32" but with less power that looks like a Mini.

I don't know. It's a sexy look, but I'm skeptical about price. The car's gutless so I'd want to pay gutless prices.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

SweetVW

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 07:04:04 PM »
That is nice looking.

Hmmmmm.....If I could swap out my seats for something the sits lower and then chop the top of the 337 to make for a lower profile side.  Kinda like how the A1 looks.  That would make it look a bit more gangsta!!  ;D

I should take a picture of the girl and pchop it.
If it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
I see a hot little car that will be way overpriced. For the spec, I'd want to see pricing close to a Scion.

I read the S1: "Audi's R32" but with less power that looks like a Mini.

I don't know. It's a sexy look, but I'm skeptical about price. The car's gutless so I'd want to pay gutless prices.

But you gotta pay for the name too.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »
But you gotta pay for the name too.

lol. And I'm one to talk. I have the overpriced 1.8T ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 08:11:07 PM »
I will take one!  I like to look and if the price is right, sign me up now.

Think of all the tuning that can be done with the dual Forced Induction motor like that.  Big turbo and bigger supercharge in 1 motor.

Now just make it in silverstone grey.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 02:00:57 AM »
I'd like to see other angles of that car -- I have to disagree, and think it looks too stubby, disproportionate and chunky.  The A5 wheels look hot, but other than that I think the GTI looks a little nicer.  I also think Audi needs something to compete with BMW's upcoming 1-series, which I also think that car looks a bit odd and awkward:

unfortunately there are no plans to release the much better looking 1-series hatch which was released overseas almost two years ago:

I'd wish Audi would produce their TT Shooting Brake concept. This is one mean looking hatch:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:14:47 AM by aowhaus »
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

amontgomeryc

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 02:16:53 AM »
sadly, i agree, audi in my opinon is lacking in the sporty hatch department, unless you want to pay top dollar....
i do love the gti, and wish something like it came with an audi symbol ;)
Aaron Crooks
2002 GTI 1.8T