Author Topic: wiring shrapnel bomb  (Read 1505 times)

A4play

• Stock
wiring shrapnel bomb
« on: August 26, 2007, 05:03:32 PM »
so I'm getting onto the highway yesterday when I heard something in the engine bay that sounds like a belt came off and started slapping so I pull over and open the hood... somehow a wiring harness by the radiator fan got caught up in the belt and tore a huge chunk of wire harness out and then tore it to shreds leaving wiring debris all over my engine bay... I'm assuming now that this isn't going to be cheap to fix, the car still runs, but it throws a check engine light P0010 (camshaft position sensor) P0238 (Turbo sensor) and P0106 (MAP/BARO CKT range/perf?) anybody ever heard of something like this happening before or maybe a guesstimate as to how much it'll cost to fix?? i'm starting to think I bought a lemon, I seriously havent been able to drive this car for 2 months without something going wrong.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: wiring shrapnel bomb
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »
happens all the time, happened on gragravars allroad twice I beleive

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 05:55:16 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 10:17:55 PM »
I'd just like to say howdy to all the Homeland Security people who I'm sure are looking in on this thread.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 10:54:28 PM »
happens all the time, happened on gragravars allroad twice I beleive

he's right, it did, and one of those times, one of the fan blades went through the radiator causing that to need to be replaced.

to answer your question, no its not an easy fix, but it is mostly labor time materials should be low.  essentially you need to pull the front bumper move the radiator out of the way, and start splicing broken wires.

good luck.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

A4play

• Stock
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 05:10:25 PM »
alrighty, thanks guys again for your help