Linked Events

• 100,000 Foot Ride: August 04, 2007

Author Topic: Motorcycle Riders: Aug 4th, 100,000ft Ride  (Read 2668 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Motorcycle Riders: Aug 4th, 100,000ft Ride
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:21:37 PM »
This is an annual ride open to all makes and models of motorcycles hosted by the Colorado chapter of the BMW Motorcycle Club. Last year was the first year I attempted the ride, Gragravar (Andrew) was there too. The total ride is about 500 miles but there are shortcuts and bypasses to reduce the mileage.

Both Gragravar and I are registered for this years ride as well, I know a few folks have bikes so if you can make it it would be great to ride in a group.

Here is a link to all the details and how to register:

http://coloradobeemers.org/content/view/28/37/

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: Motorcycle Riders: Aug 4th, 100,000ft Ride
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »
i am in.  obviously.

8)
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 06:27:01 PM »
wish I had a Motorcycle, that sounds awesome.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 04:40:11 PM »
As of a few days ago there were only 30 spots left. So if anyone is still on the fence it may be too late, but try anyway.

Colorado_Baja

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »
Damn If the KTM wasn't in the shop I would be in like sin.
No time for love, Dr. Jones.

Losers make excuses. Winners make it happen.

"and function, FUNCITON is the key" 
Fugazi

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:05:05 PM »
I am looking forward to this.  we still on for meeting over there at 6:45?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 07:19:57 PM »
Yes, I am going to start working on the bike tonight, wash, wax, gas, maintenance to get it ready. I haven't ridden since Salida a week and a half ago.

I still have some seat time trouble so we'll have to see how it goes. I am padding challenged and am doing everything I can to work with that. :(

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 07:29:49 PM »
Yes, I am going to start working on the bike tonight, wash, wax, gas, maintenance to get it ready. I haven't ridden since Salida a week and a half ago.

I still have some seat time trouble so we'll have to see how it goes. I am padding challenged and am doing everything I can to work with that. :(

meh, I havent ridden in about a month.

oh well.  we'll take it as it goes.  Also I have an afternoon BBQ to get back for, so wont mind taking a couple of the shortcuts.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:37:23 PM »
bike is washed, fluids topped up (except for gas, I need to get that later today) and I am looking forward to the ride.

looks like I need to cut the grass this afternoon.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »
Looks good, doesn't look like my bike will be washed, I will do my best, but Renee's parents are in town and they came over last night to say goodbye to the sick kitty and then we went to dinner. Now we are going out to dinner again this evening, sigh.

Anyway, I hope to wash it, if not, it will et topped off with gas, a pre-ride inspection, tank bag put on, and loaded up with everything I can tonight.

Looking forward to the ride tomorrow, weather looks like it will be good too.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 09:14:59 PM »
I hurt...all over....

What a great day. Met Andrew (Gragravar) at 6:45am at Foothills BMW for the ride. We hit the road around 7:20am. We did the entire morning route which first took us over Squaw Pass, then up I-70 through the tunnel, then through Copper Mountain onto Leadville over Fremont Pass. From Leadville we headed to Buena Vista, then onto the Monarch Mountain Lodge for lunch about 3 miles short of the summit of Monarch Pass.

We toyed with the idea of doing the entire afternoon route, which would have taken us through Gunnison, then onto Sagauche and back through Salida.

Instead we opted for the "shortcut" and headed back down Monarch Pass and  back through Buena Vista up 285.

The scenery was wonderful for this somewhat Southern route (compared to last year). All in all I tallied 374 miles from my door this morning to this afternoon, Andrew probably will have 60 miles on me, maybe more? I left the house at about 6:00am and walked through the door at about 4:20pm (no weed jokes please).

Compared to last year, I liked the lunch location better, but the lunch was a little skimpy. The route was good as well, though we did get held up a little in Leadville due to some festival thing, oh and my foot cramping, stupid foot.

We made good time all in all, we got hit by some rain, which I blame solely on the slow moving traffic in front of us. We could have beat that little storm if it wasn't for them.

The terrifying highlight of the day (if you can call it that) was some dumb ass Coyote that thought he'd try to end his life and take as many people with him as possible. As we were on our way South into Buena Vista  we were in a single lane, the other side had two lanes (passing lane) and we had the divided yellow for passing, there were 4 bikes that all engaged in the pass into the passing lane on the other side, coming up in the traffic lane was a car, no biggie, then a Coyote decided to meander into the road. Everyone hit the brakes, I locked a little in the rear, but all this is occurring while we are on the other side of the road.

The Coyote changed his mind and headed back, but not before my heart skipped about 14 beats. I think there was enough adrenaline going through me at that point I could have juggled some elephants.

As always, it was great going for a ride with Andrew, he is a great group rider. I look forward to next years ride!

Andrew reading the map in my tank bag at Copper Mountain:

Next three are from lunch at the Monarch Mountain Lodge:

Andrew's BMW (Yellow) and my BMW (white) at the summit of Monarch Pass at the Continental Divide:

My total mileage, which is 30 miles less than it really is due to me resetting it when we left Foothills BMW:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:19:37 PM by gietl »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
pics added

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 10:19:47 PM »
sounds like a sweet ride guys. Hopefully i will set to go for next year, I need some more time in the saddle before i go out for that many miles.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 01:57:02 PM »
Jay - great review of the ride.

I only have a couple things to add.  for me the day ended up being about 425 miles door to door.  I had a blast except for that stupid coyote incident.  being along side a motorhome while doing 90+ (passing speed) and seeing wildlife run out in front of other vehicles which could cause them to swerve toward you is very scary!

another highlight for me was that on the way to meet Jay I saw a ferrari enzo at 38th and Wadsworth at 6:40am weird.  took me by surprise and I didnt have the camera out yet so no pics.

and finally after Jay and I parted I made my way to a BBQ before going home.  that meant I got to ride home at about 10:00 last night in the rain.  that sucked.

Overall though I had a great 100K ride experience this year.  Jay has really come a long way with that BMW and is riding so much more confidently than last year, it is amazing.

Here are some of my pics

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 01:56:33 PM »
I was doing some googling to see if anyone has posted pictures or write-ups about the ride and I came across this guys site. What a trip he had. Andrew, if you look at the pictures he took at Foothills there is one of us gearing up to leave.

http://www.allendesigns.com/personal/CO100000Foot-2007/Colorado100000FootMotorcycleRide.htm

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:08 PM »
oh noes, there are pictures of me on the internet. 

LOL.

thats pretty cool.  hellish long ride though.