Author Topic: Fastest pizza in the west.  (Read 780 times)

jfrahm

• Modded
Fastest pizza in the west.
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:51:20 AM »
Like some RMCB5'ers I love to cook, but I'm also a bachelor and often busy in the garage until late, at which time I want something to eat fast.  I have a lot of quick and easy meals I make for myself wihtout much time or prep and here is one.

Flatbread pizza

Pita bread makes a great pizza crust.  I use the whole wheat but I reckon white works good too.  They are $1.50 for six pitas in the bread or bakery section at the grocery store.  Pitas are naturally dish shaped so it's dead easy to load them with sauce, cheese and toppings and put them directly on the center oven rack and bake them without spilling anything in the oven.  Two pitas make for a pretty good meal for one hungry person.

I generally keep a bag of that shredded mozzarella cheese on hand, and pasta sauce in the jar.  I use Barilla sauce because it has a cool name and I like the jars.  Tastes OK too.  For toppings that's really up to you but I like olives and I usually have a big jar of Spanish olives and another of kalamata olives from costco on hand.  These pizzas are actually rather good with just an olive oil glaze and garlic and cheese on top but some tomato sauce is nice sometimes.  I usually slice up some olives and put them on top of the cheese.  I usually add some fresh ground black pepper before putting them in the oven.  I always have fresh garlic on hand but if it's late and I'm tired I use the stuff from the jar or even the coarse ground dry garlic like NYC style pizza demands.

Now, for baking this is my trick for pizza.  Where I come from pizza has a very thin crackery crust that is cooked crisp.  to get this crisp crust I make sure to keep the oven running while cooking.  For pitas I start at 350 degrees and raise the temperature twice, to 375 and 400 while it cooks.  this is done to keep the radiant heat coming from the oven elements.  The pizza is done when the cheese has some brown spots on it.  Let it stand for 5 minutes before eating it.
The radiant heat is important to cause browning on the crust and the cheese, which contributes to the flavor considerably.  For take and bake pizza I start about 25 degrees under whatever the directions say and raise it halfway through.

I also make tapas like this with slices of French or Italian bread glazed with olive oil and cooked on the stovetop.  For these I use an olive oil and garlic glaze, cheese and black pepper.  I flip them after melting the cheese and actually brown the cheese directly on the frying pan.  Good stuff.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: Fastest pizza in the west.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »
I think you post was puposefully placed in front of my at the time when I am most hungry after lunch and before dinner.  Lucky for me I had pizza for lunch or it could have been worse.

Pita is a good idea though.  I will have to try that.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: Fastest pizza in the west.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:04:23 PM »