Author Topic: 03Indigo's Ultimate HDTV Quest  (Read 17798 times)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: 03Indigo's Ultimate HDTV Quest
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 06:54:02 PM »
Cole, I will get a hold of you to see if you are free sometime next week so I can come over and see your system.  This week is crazy, getting some new tool boxes delivered tomorrow...meaning I am sorting tools all afternoon, also getting some more yard work done and more planting.

You guys are awesome, I am learning a lot right now, and DLP sounds wonderful,...if not that, I am leaning towards the 47" Westy recommended by Hotani.

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 08:09:43 PM »
 I got my DLP HDTV @ Best Buy and got their extended service plan... the good thing about the plan is that it cost about as much as a replacement bulb, but it lasts for 3 years.
wo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 08:09:43 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 09:49:13 PM »
I took the plunge and bought a Panasonic 50" plasma from Amazon for $1500 shipped.
I picked this one over other 50" plasmas because it had no side-mounted speakers, a black cabinet, QAM tuner, and the latest gen panel (I think) which uses less energy, has no cooling fans, weighs less, 60K hour life, etc.  It's rated at less power consumption than the Vizio 47" I was considering and only weighs 10lbs more, while having 3" more diagonal screen size.  I'll have a two year warranty though Visa and can extend that (probably will) through the Visa program.  the Vizio I was looking at was a refurb and had a 90 day warranty, doubled that was only 1/2 a year so extending that would cost more. 

I also saw some Panasonic plasmas in operation and was very impressed by the picture.  I think eventually I might prefer a 120hz 1080p LCD but that TV is still well over $2000.  Ultimately I decided the more evolved 10th gen plasma panel would probably serve me better than the 1st or 2nd gen 47" 1080p LCD panel.  As for the resolution, much of what I watch is upconverted DVDs and a few TV shows on cable and Broncos games (720p.) 

BTW the banding problem with LCDs can also be a backlight problem, something about evenly lighting the panel?  They say to try to bring up a gray or blue screen and see if it is even.

I guess this means my Samsung 46" is going up for sale too.  It'd be good for a rec room TV, video game display, etc. 

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 11:34:21 AM »
Cole, I will get a hold of you to see if you are free sometime next week so I can come over and see your system.  This week is crazy, getting some new tool boxes delivered tomorrow...meaning I am sorting tools all afternoon, also getting some more yard work done and more planting.

You guys are awesome, I am learning a lot right now, and DLP sounds wonderful,...if not that, I am leaning towards the 47" Westy recommended by Hotani.

I've owned both a 27" and 32" Westy's and have been very happy with both. Plus, the non-glossy fabric-like screen puts out an amazing HD picture.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
I have been enjoying my 50" Panasonic plasma for a few weeks now.  Just got an HD DVD player and an HD disc in the mail from netflix.

Wow.

The detail level is amazing.  Almost distractingly so.

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 01:17:57 PM »
I have been enjoying my 50" Panasonic plasma for a few weeks now.  Just got an HD DVD player and an HD disc in the mail from netflix.

Wow.

The detail level is amazing.  Almost distractingly so.

Other than the cost, I am curious as to why you bought a HD DVD player?   
wo things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »
I thought I'd be nice to watch movies with better picture quality.  Netflix has lots of HD DVDs, even TV shows are coming out in HD DVD.  No extra charge for the HD option too.

If you are asking why I chose HD DVD over Blueray, it's because I got a deal on an HD DVD player and because I think it will generally come out on top in the format war.
I am also not a fan of Sony, I do not feel the build quality of their consumer grade electronics is very good.

-Joel.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2007, 12:45:10 PM »
We just hooked up as a "test" a projector for work and watched Blood Diamond at 102" inches in 5.1 last night ;D We have a Mitsu HD1000 coming in this week for the permanent install.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2007, 07:34:26 PM »
I thought I'd be nice to watch movies with better picture quality.  Netflix has lots of HD DVDs, even TV shows are coming out in HD DVD.  No extra charge for the HD option too.

If you are asking why I chose HD DVD over Blueray, it's because I got a deal on an HD DVD player and because I think it will generally come out on top in the format war.
I am also not a fan of Sony, I do not feel the build quality of their consumer grade electronics is very good.

-Joel.

I agree with you that Sony does not have the best CE stuff out there, but Blu-ray is not Sony's baby.

Since I support Blu I just wanted to get a viewpoint from an HD-DVD perspective. Right now it's a gamble to support either format because who wants to end up with a next generation Betamax or Divx player. That being said... what leads you to believe that HD-DVD will end up winning the format war? I have to disagree with you on that for 3 reasons...

1. PS3 has a Blu-ray drive... DVD would not have gained as much momentum and won the format war over Divx if it wasn't for PS2. With another price drop coming soon for the PS3 it will only push the format even more in Blu-ray's favor. Plus every PS3 game that a consumer buys is another Blu-ray disc sold.

2. The support that Blu has... exclusive studio support like Fox, Disney, and Sony. Next time you go to Target check and see who has more shelf room, I bet you that Blu has twice as much (at least this is the way it has been for every store that I have been to lately). Blockbuster is almost entirely Blu (a few stores still have HD DVD's from their initial formats tests). Support from big name directors like Spielberg... even though Universal and Paramount are HD-DVD exclusive you will not see any movies from him until they either go neutral or Blu exclusive, and a majority of his movies are from those two studios.

3. Current statistics... Look at page 3... http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom100707/index.php
I have been watching these numbers for some time and HD-DVD has yet to win one week of sales against Blu-ray.

Joel I am not trying to bash you or anything and I hope I didn't come off like that. I am an electronics junky(good thing I am studying to be an Electrical and Computer Engineer I guess) and like to get a feel for as many viewpoints as I can. I fully respect your opinions and am glad that you are enjoying your chosen HD format. Perhaps a RMCB5 movie night should be in the works...

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »
WB filed for a patent last fall on a disc that holds both Blu-Ray AND HD-DVD. If they get it, I suspect they'll try and hold it for keeps, but who knows.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »
I guess my impression that HD DVD will come out on top is due to a few things:

General impressions from talking to friends
Better name, identifies with HD (dumb people will know it works with HDTV)
First format to reach my price point <- that is a big one

I recall spending around $200 on a CD player 1n 1986, around $200 on a VCR, around $200 on a DVD player... it seems like that's what I am willing to spend for a new format player.  If Blu-ray is here to stay I might get a player when the prices drop, but if you see a sub $200 HD DVD player for Christmas (or maybe even Black Friday) that format will be here to stay.  Mine was $250 with seven movies so I consider the player to have been around $200, but a $199 or $188.88 price tag is what will really get people buying.

I do not buy movies (except as gifts from time to time) so I have not looked at the shelf space devoted to either format.  I also do not have a console.  However if the console market drives this technology then Nov/Dec might be the battleground.

My prediction will be that Blu-Ray will hang on with a niche market, like Laserdisc, and HD-DVD will be what the average Joe has in their living room.  I'll probably buy a player that plays both, or a Blu-ray player at the $200 price point in a year or two myself.

-Joel.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
well, the deed is finally done.  Westinghouse TX-52f480s, a 52" 1080p, non glare flat panel LCD.  Just ordered this morning.  I will have about 3/4" space above the tv and about 1/4" on either side, so it is about as perfect of a fit in the space as I can possibly expect.  Hopefully it will be here in about 2 weeks or so, I will snap pics of it installed when I get it hooked up.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
Nice!
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 02:51:26 AM »
Before:

After:

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2008, 02:52:09 AM »
I will get a better picture tomorrow in the day light, but so far, I love it.  Just need to get HD Comcast now :)

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
Just need to get HD Comcast now :)

I've never made a better investment for 5 bucks a month! 
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »
is that all it costs?

here is a morning shot with a little more light.  full image size here:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2477688907_9b797b162e_o.jpg

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
Jon, that's hot. I'm currently doing the following install :D:

Sony VPLVW40 1080p Projector
Denon AVR-3808CI Networked A/V Receiver
Energy Act 6 7.1 Surround.

The screen will be 120" in full 1080 HD with 7.1 Surround. Blu-Ray will be coming around Christmas time I expect (PS3?). I did a test run last weekend before the drywallers came in and it truly blows me away.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2008, 07:06:38 PM »
Nice JR.

My HD cable will be ready on Tuesday, need to run to get some HDMI cables, but will do that after I see the component inputs first and how that looks and see if the $$$ is worth the investment in the cables.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2008, 08:48:36 PM »
Honestly? It's not worth the investment if you already have them. The only reason my parent's house and my place have them is because we didn't have any existing components ;) Audio can be run down and HDMI though so it can really clean up a mess.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Noob_Shum

• Modded
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2008, 04:39:14 AM »
Looks really nice Jon!!  8)

Jonathan

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
...like a glove, like a glove :)

Was my 5 dollar estimate correct?  I guess in relation, they could care less about the HD converter pricing, when they charge out the hoo ha for their digital service, etc.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3
     25% tint // 18" clear bra // Lamin-x: headlights, taillights, fogs // Cobb SRI // Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose // Cp-e rear engine mount // TWM short shifter // Synapse BPV // Aeroforce Interceptor // 6k HID's

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »
no, it was more expensive than $5 a month.  We are converting to a HD-DVR upstairs and adding a DVR downstairs in the work out room...and using the old receiver for my sleep room so I can watch movies as I fall asleep on the weekend days between night shifts.

Kingtut

• Lightly Modded
  • keep the Change
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
Yea, I figured their prices went up since we upgraded :P

I don't think I could make it without DVR...although I find myself wanting to rewind the radio at times ;)
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3

2001 A4 1.8t- RIP 7/08

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »
Here's the current status of mine :D measured without trim is roughly 125" It'll be slightly less when it's trimmed out. The wet bar is just off to the right. The light shading in the ceiling is actually dropped and is where the project sits.

(click to view almost full size)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:37:54 PM by jayryan »
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

copassatguy

• Stock
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »
Here's the current status of mine :D measured without trim is roughly 125" It'll be slightly less when it's trimmed out. The wet bar is just off to the right. The light shading in the ceiling is actually dropped and is where the project sits.

(click to view almost full size)

That looks really nice... can't wait to see what it looks like when you are done.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
Well, had a bad string of luck with this television.  The HDMI card went out, no biggie, right, simply call and get it fixed.  Called Crutchfield in the middle of July, when it went out, they said call Westinghouse.  Called Westinghouse, they said they would put the service order in right away and someone should be contacting me within the week, that was July 23rd.

I called back to find out what the deal was:
July 30th
July 31st
August 4th
August 12th
August 17th
August 21st
August 28th
August 29th
and finally today, Sept 4th.

Every time I was given the same story, yes, the order is in the system, they gave me a confirmation number and said I will be contacted no later than 48 hours from my call.  Not once was I called back, not once.  Today, I was told the same story, and the supervisor I was working under, Vivian, was not in to deal with the issue since she promised me I would not have to call back this week, that the TV would be fixed by today.  Well, nothing, I called, she was "out of the office" when I called.  So, screw that, I called Crutchfield again, they came to a decision in about 3 minutes, and we worked through options for a replacement TV.  The entire process took about 5 minutes, and my new TV is on it's way...

Sharp 52" Aquos LCD 1080i television.
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=284LC52D43&tp=161

I am paying nothing for the swap or shipping.  All I have to wait for is delivery, which I am ok with, at least I know there is a new TV on the way, and soon I will have my HDMI inputs back, for cable and DVDs as well.

I loved the Westinghouse 52" LCD, really, it is a great TV, but the customer service, according to Crutchfield, is an abomination to industry standards.  That is why Crutchfield no longer will carry Westinghouse products...according to my conversation with Russ in Customer Service at Crutchfield today.  Crutchfield was amazingly helpful, quick to respond....it was my issue of waiting and hoping the Westinghouse would be fixed in a timely fashion....I just waited too long.  Russ said I should have called weeks and weeks ago, they would have replaced it then. 

Crutchfield again has gained my confidence as a top notch electronics vendor....customer service that is an example of what the industry standard should be.  Yes, I have to wait for delivery of a new TV...but it will be in home delivery, set up, and they will take the old one away at no cost to me, what so ever.  You have to appreciate that!!!!!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:18 PM »
Wow Jon, so sorry to hear that. I had heard some rumors about W prior to you getting yours, but you never know. You always hear the bad stories and never the good so I usually chalk it up to that. Sorry those rumors were proven true. :(

Really glad to see Crutchfield stepped up and took care of you. You will be very happy with your replacement.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2008, 08:32:05 PM »
yeah, I heard the rumors as well, but also know Charles is very happy with his Westinghouse, and it is an amazing TV....so my confidence in the product came from that, someone I know with hands on experience.

If the customer service would have come through, it would have been fine.  Stuff like this can happen, I understand that, but the lack or response from them is unbelievable.

Funny thing is, right after I posted this, the phone rang, amazingly it was Westinghouse's service contractor to schedule a service call for 2-3 weeks out, haha.  Told them that Westinghouse is paying for shipping through Crutchfield, and that I am getting a new TV.  They hung up on me....it was icing on the cake.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »
LOL