Author Topic: 40,000 Mile Maintenance  (Read 3054 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« on: February 18, 2004, 06:52:29 PM »
I just called Mt States on this and they quote $410 - $490 for this service which does NOT include a brake bleed, that is an additional $120.  So I know that I just replaced my air filter a few weeks ago, don't need the tires rotated, but need everyhting else.  He also mentioned that $410 - $490 range really had to do with the plugs you choose.  So I guess I could get it under $400, but I would still want to bleed the brakes.

So now I look to Brad and Dave for advice, what do Osborne and McDonald charge?

Damn, I forgot to ask about an alignment.  I need an alignment too!

This is straight from the VW site:

Your NEXT Scheduled Maintenance is at 40000 MILES
Items to be Serviced:
Engine Oil - change
Engine Filter - change
Timing Belt - check
Timing Belt Tensioner - replace
V-belt/Ribbed Belt - check
V-Belt - check tension/condition  
Spark Plugs - replace
Air Cleaner - replace filter
Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
Automatic Shift Lock-check operation
Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
Wheels - rotate from front to rear  
Air Bag System - check function/damage
Battery - check electrolyte level  
Pollen Filter - replace  
Cooling System - check level
Automatic Transmission - check for leaks
Manual Transmission - check for leaks
Tires/Spare - check condition  
Driveshaft - check boots  
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Door Hinge - lube
Headlights - check and adjust if necessary  
Brake Fluid
Check Automatic Trans. Fluid and Differential for leaks, level; add if necessary
Front Axle - check dust seals, ball joints, tie rods
Road Test-check system functions during and after

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 06:55:03 PM »
One thing to note above, it says for them to REPLACE the timing belt tensioner at 40K.  I wonder how many people didn't get that?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 06:55:03 PM »

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 07:03:29 PM »
That quote seems REAL high.  I would ask Mtn States to fax you a list of all the work they would perform.  If they really want to replace the timing belt tensioner, that's probably alot of the cost.  They might be planning to charge you for the labor of taking your front end apart.  They might as well replace your timing belt at that point.  You might actually have the updated style tensioner.  I discovered that my car had the new style tensioner when I did my timing belt.

The OEM spark plugs for the 2000 model year (ATW engine) are pricey.  About $25 EACH from the dealer.  I just bought a set from ECS for $50.  Still not cheap, but I'm hoping they will smooth out some roughness I'm getting currently.
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 07:08:59 PM »
That's a good point Alan, I may look at sourcing some of the parts myself to save money and have them insall them.  I am real picky about teh whole powertrain warranty and making sure everything is recorded.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 10:24:56 PM »
Jay, they gave me the same quote and I didn't do it. Basically, everything that I needed to do, I either did already or was going to do. I don't have any warrenty anyway, that was up at 50K. So, that's my 40k check up stuff with the dealership.
0It seemed to me mostly stuff that a person who leased a car would do anyway, but I completely understand about wanting to keep your records in check and stuff.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 03:32:38 AM »
Jay,

I can tell you I paid $364.78 for my 40k service at McDonald and they did not replace the TB tensioner, fill my battery with electrolyte, bleed my brake fluid, or check my brake system (which I replaced 5k miles later). Not sure why they do not do all the things listed on vw.com. I paid a lot of money for new spark plugs, new oil, and a lot of supposed checking/inspecting.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 12:19:56 PM »
Jay, I agree with Andrew.  I did all of mine with the exception of the brake bleeding, which I got done at Ed Carroll in Ft. Collins for $60.  When do you plan to do this?  Let me know and I will go ahead and get that brake bleeder so you can bleed your own brakes instead of a dealer bleeding your wallet.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 12:48:22 PM »
Worff said he was bringing his brake bleeder down to the Garage Day on Saturday and offered it's use.  Any recommendation on brake fluid (remember I am no offically poor)?  He said we need about 1.5 quarts to dot he job.  I figure I can recycle the old fluid into the "new" bottles and then try and see if checker will take it or check with teh city of denver about a pickup.

While doing that I can check out my brakes.

Of course the bleeding wasn't inclided so that doesn't reduce the cost.  However, I'd like to get the exact list of whats done and compare it to what i need done.  Again, I am a stickler when it comes to warranties, so I like having them do even some of the common stuff so there is little room for argument if ther eis a failure on the cars part (not caused by me :))

I'd also still like to see what input Dave and Brad have.  I can live with paying the money as long as I know everything that should be done is done and it is done right.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 12:54:32 PM »
Jay, I would think that as long as you record everything you did and keep all of your receipts, they would have a hard time denying you.  Other places do 40,000 mile services besides the dealer, so it should not be required to go their for this maintenance.  Receipts for the parts are key though.

I know for turbo issues, even if you change your oil, as long as you have the receipts, they will cover you.  I don't think Brad is checking any more, but maybe Dave will see this and comment on its veracity.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 09:12:56 PM »
I think I am going to try and see if I can get a faxed over checklist or some sort of accurate quote on what will be done and costs to get it done.  The squealing noise from my front end indicates it's brakes time too.

Any input.  I know I inquired last year about this, but I still had pad life, now at 38K it is time.  I'm hoping to avoid rotor change, but if it needs to be done it needs to be done.

I was reading over on Cb5 about folks unhappy with the Mintex Red box.  What do you guys think about them?  What about the Ferodo street or fast road pads?  There is a little discount for doing pads and rotors through Virtual world Parts.

Any other pad/rotor recommendations?

I figure I will bleed my brakes at the same time.  I guess it's time to order that brake bleeder.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 11:32:37 PM »
Hey Jay, I have the Mintex and I put them on the summer of the big CB5 National GTG.  I am happy wiht them, but the braking performance is not quite as good.  I was happy with the lack of dust though...

I am going to go with Ferodo this time around.  Your rotors should still be okay though at on 38K.

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 02:06:30 AM »
I'm almost a thousand miles from the big 40k, and that's not very encouraging to hear.

Maybe we could do a group buy from a dealership or shop that could do it properly.
Or even a big garage day.

Jay, you only have 40k on your car?!  That's pretty low milage for your car! No wonder why your car looks so new!

Recently I test drove a Touareg at McDonald AG (for my folks, who eventually bought a loaded 2004 Acura TL luckily) and the salesperson (Tim, I believe) asked me where I get my car serviced.  I honestly told him my last two visits with them were very disappointing and considering taking it to Mtn. States or even an independant garage for my next service.  He said I should reconsider and talk to Dave Bell and he will make sure I will be treated right.  
I'm still not sure what to do yet.

My rear bumper and one of my fenders are in desperate need of a repaint.  I know McDonald AG has a body shop department that offers some kind of winter wear repair special where they do minor repair work and repaint the bumpers and fenders at a really good price too.  I don't know if they could get me a good deal if I could get a everything done at once?
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 02:25:49 AM »
Alan,

Dave Bell is an RMCB5 member here (vwbliss) and is a service advisor at McDonald.  Call over there and tell him I sent you and see what he can do for you.

UberGrrl

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.amandaspear.com/ubergrrl/index.html
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 04:06:46 PM »
My 40K came up too quickly and I did not have time to do it myself- I ended up getting it done at SlipStream in Boulder for $232.00. That includes a synthetic oil change, not the crap VW uses.
Probably not very convenient for you considering they're in Boulder, but just thought I'd let you know of another option. Slipstream is a great shop up here, primarily Audi, also VW and just started doing Minis. Very nice honest guys. They are enthusiasts themselves, they have Rally cars and a bunch of race car audis. 303-449-9843 if you're interested.
MWJD?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
40,000 Mile Maintenance
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 09:25:22 PM »
Ok so here is where I am at and what is going to be done within about the next week (* means done, I also removed itens not needed or related):

Your NEXT Scheduled Maintenance is at 40000 MILES
Items to be Serviced:
*Engine Oil - change
*Engine Filter - change
Timing Belt - check
Timing Belt Tensioner - replace
V-belt/Ribbed Belt - check
V-Belt - check tension/condition
*Spark Plugs - replace
*Air Cleaner - replace filter
*Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
*Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
Air Bag System - check function/damage
*Battery - check electrolyte level
*Pollen Filter - replace
*Cooling System - check level
Manual Transmission - check for leaks
*Tires/Spare - check condition
Driveshaft - check boots
On Board Diagnostics -check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory
Door Hinge - lube
Headlights - check and adjust if necessary
*Brake Fluid
Check Differential for leaks, level; add if necessary
Front Axle - check dust seals, ball joints, tie rods
Road Test-check system functions during and after

A number of these I can have them do and sign off on, I hope.  The timing belt tensioner is the real bugger I think.