Author Topic: 1968 MG C  (Read 1864 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
1968 MG C
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:19:23 AM »
My dad just informed me, he bought one for my mom. It needs a little outside love, but it's completely road worthy. She has no idea. They're leaving tomorrow to pick it up in DC then down to Charlotte. She thinks they're picking it up for our boss. I'm flying to Charlotte on Sunday for the week (our annual conference) then we all come back.

Once the car gets here I'll take some pictures. I hope to have a hand in working on it  ;D The flipside is that it looks like I lost my slot in the garage this winter :-\

Here's a restored one:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: 1968 MG C
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:08:13 PM »
Very nice. 

Those old English cars sure have a lot of charm.  Your mom will love it.

My dad had an Austin Healy MKIII 3000 when I was growing up.  The things was awesome...when it was running.  My dad sold it since he needed a dependable vehicle, but always regretted it.

Sounds familiar.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 01:08:13 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:47:29 PM »
that sounds like a fun project.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »
A little update:

After my parent's plans changed a wee bit, I jumped in on the MG action :D We're going to do a full restoration on it. So as of last night, it's running strong. I repaired the exhaust (mostly, still leaks a wee bit), cleaned it up and put a new bonnet on it. The old one had a huge dent. We're going to get it licensed and insured next week. I've already cruised around in it a little bit the last couple days. It's running super-good. Connections and hoses are good and no leaks.

What we need to have left before it's done:

- spots of minor rusting stripped
- paint
- wheels dipped, stripped and re-chromed
- bumpers re-chromed
- new chrome trim (acquired but not installed)
- full repaired exhaust
- source an original stereo
- source original door cards

The car was only produced between 1967 and 1969. It was meant to replace the A-H 3000, but after the company was acquired by the British Leyland group which already had the Triumph TR6 line, they dropped the MGC.

It's got a straight 6 putting out about 145bhp. At 2600lbs., it's not light and with a 57:43 weight balance, it produces heavy understeer. Overall, though it's ridiculous fun to drive and I can't wait to get it out for a nice long cruise.

'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Mcstiff

• Stock
    • Work
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
The main thing I always hear about old Brit cars is the Lucas Electronics issues. Why not rip it all out and start over? A chassis harness is no big deal on a car that old and why not stand alone ignition control (EFI optional)?

For all the bitching (not here but you all have heard the stories) I would think that this would be an easy answer.

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, but thinking what nobody has thought."

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.tw34k.com
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:10 AM »
That's AWESOME man!

A buddy of mine just sold his MGB. He is very sad, but he doesn't have a garage for it anymore. Reminds me of my Porsche...

I've always loved the older chrome bumper MGs.

I'm sure you are getting up to speed on the issues with restoring them, but Mcstiff may be right about the wiring. There are some really interesting things they did with old British cars and starting over especially before you do body/paint work can solve a lot of headaches in the future.

Another thing is the frame rails. Be sure to have them checked for rust since they are highly prone to collecting water. I've heard of people going so far as to shoot some kind of sealing material up the entire rail.

What kind of shape is the top in? Is the top frame straight?

Best of luck with the project and let's see some damn pics already!
Andrew

Truth has no place in a culture of advertising.
2003 GTI
1992 GTI

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:56:20 AM »
Rewiring would be a great idea...my old 1977 Midget had 3 fuses, 2 original and 1 i added for an electric fuel pump!
Most of the problems on older cars are usually because of bad grounds due to corrosion........easy fixes!
Nice ride though....you'll have a lot of fun..
..mostly trying to get in and out of it   ;D
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:42:07 PM »
Well, this car is super-easy to get in and out of...lots of room. The steering wheel is so damn big it rubs against my leg though :P

Yeah, I know all about the issues. Lucas did a lot of work on the Triumphs but what I found is that nobody's really certain about who did the electronics on the MGC. That said, everything I was able to check through, checked out  ;D The frame does look very good. I didn't think to investigate the rails fully though. I'll do that this weekend.

The top has a rip and does need to be replaced. I forgot to mention that :) I'll snag the camera tonight and take some pics and get them up this week.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner