Author Topic: a little 1.8T help  (Read 1270 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
a little 1.8T help
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:21:42 AM »
hey guys,

my friend, Verc on here, has a CEL on his car (a passat with a 1.8T) and it seems to be running really rough, and it is down on power.  we pulled the codes and got the following:

16486: Mass Air fLow Circuit -G70: Low Input

17545: Bank 1 Mixture Adaptation (Add): system too rich

Does this mean a problem with the MAF?  if so does it require replacement or can something be done to help the problem?

He'll probably go see Randy, but he's swamped at work and cant get down there for about 2 weeks.  Any thoughts on what the issue really is would be appreciated.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Re: a little 1.8T help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:41:53 AM »
I'm far from an expert, but I'd guess it's the MAF.
The first thing I'd do is chek AudiWolrd and do a search for that CEL number in the VAG-COM forum.
I'd also check out Ross-Tech.com and check their list of common codes.  More than likely you'll find the answer on at least one of those sites.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:41:53 AM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 03:07:45 AM »
thats good advice pat, I'll checkout the vagcom forum too.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 04:06:54 AM »
I did a writeup on here on how to disconnect the MAF and check for improved performance after the fact. It will toss a code in doing it, but it is a decent test.

Loss of power is common with a bad MAF.

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 01:22:50 PM »
it sounds MAF related. You could order a remanufactued maf from Randy and replace it, clear the codes and see how it works out. after a few years and many miles (dirt and shit that got thru the filter) there is a good chance the maf could use to be replaced anyways.

shummer

• Modded
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 02:55:32 PM »
If it is a MAF and it's a late 00 or 01, they might be able to get it replaced under warranty (or get it reimbursed) because VW sent out a letter way back in the day. They'll replace it if it's under 7 years or 70k miles if it's faulty. Here's a link to what I scanned:

MAF Warranty Extension

verc

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 02:55:51 PM »
Thanks for the help.  It did turn out to be the MAF.  Opened up the airbox, swapped in a new one, had Andrew clear the codes, and all is well.

;D
001.5 GLS 1.8T Manual APR Stage 1
Fresco Green
17" Ronal wheels