Author Topic: V6 or W8 B5 and why?  (Read 2575 times)

90Carat

• Stock
V6 or W8 B5 and why?
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:42:45 PM »
My wife's Subie is taking the slow death roll, and she is finally starting to believe that cars can't last forever (though 180K on one is making it a tough sell). 

The Passat has made the short list.  Basically, I am looking at mid-sized, AWD, stylish car.  It doesn't have to be a particularly high performance car, though I will drive it sometimes, so it can't be a dog.  We are also looking at Subies, BMW 330-25 xi, and possible the Mariner Hybrid or Camry Hybrid.

My question to you is... In regards to the B5 4motion cars, which do you prefer, the V6 or the W8 and why?  I am leaning towards the v6, but the w8 intrgues me.

Slightly off topic, I did float the idea of me getting a UrS6 Avant, and she can drive my S4.  That didn't go over well.   
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: V6 or W8 B5 and why?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:57:07 PM »
Tom,

I would stick with looking at a V6, there are some 1.8T 4Mos out there as well, but they are a bit harder to come by.

I like the W8, it has great power and is fun to drive, but it was a limited run and I can only imagine maintenance costs becoming higher over time. I mean there isn't a widespread mechanic exposure to the car in my opinion. I know you like to do your own work and the V6 will be much easier to work on plus it has a nice long track record.

Since you want longer term reliability, stick with the V6. In my opinion it is he "safe" choice.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:57:07 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Oh, and not to get too off topic, I waved at you last Friday as I was leaving work, I was riding the BMW and you were getting ready to turn right onto Denver West. I assume leaving for the day (was about 4:15ish).

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Oh, and not to get too off topic, I waved at you last Friday as I was leaving work, I was riding the BMW and you were getting ready to turn right onto Denver West. I assume leaving for the day (was about 4:15ish).

http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/index.php/topic,6203.0.html

:P ;D
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:33:47 PM »
LOL Ian!!!

I agree with Jay, stick with the V6, that 2.8L platform is very common and will be less expensive down the road to maintain.  If you can, find one of the B5.5 1.8T 4motions...Evil_O had one, and it was great....not to mention the 30+mpg he got on it when driving under normal driving conditions.

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »
I <3 turbos.  Though, I'm not sure if the wifey would be a good fit.  She isn't a fan of turbo lag or premium gas.

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah Jay I saw you, I was little too late on the wave. 

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 06:57:22 PM »
I think the V6 requires premium too, though I may be mistaken. The W8 as well.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 07:05:08 PM »
yup, the 2.8 requires premium as well.  I think all newer VWs outside of the 2.0 and tdi require premium.

cooky

• n00balicious
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 02:47:34 PM »
I've got a W8 and I love it!  I test-drove the two side by side and it was no comparison for me.  The W8 is just a slick car.  I'm happy every single time I get into it.

However, I don't do any work on my own car, nor do I drive every day (I work from home).  For me, this made the potential cost of repair acceptable.  If I was commuting on a daily basis, I probably would have gotten the V6.

scottvw

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 02:49:54 PM »
I drive a V6 and my wife drives a 1.8T 2002 Passats (both 2 whee drive).  At sea level my V6 was great.....at altitude my wife's 1.8T is much more peppy and mine is somewhat a dog.  I like my V6, however my next car will have a turbo.

In talking to Randy, when I do my timing belt, I think I am going to have the ECU flashed as well. 

Just my .02

aowhaus

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 11:16:06 PM »
I have a V6 and I have been very happy with it.
It has good power and it is very smooth.  My only gripe is that engine is limited in terms of performance mods.

The W8 is an awesome engine, excellent power and comes standard with 4motion (and comes loaded like the V6 GLX). The dual twin tip exhaust looks impressive.  However it makes for a relatively heavy car and long term reliability and durability is unknown, as it has only been used on Passats for a couple years and in the Audi A8 in very limited numbers.  Maintanence costs is considerably higher as an oil change requires 8 quarts and the engine takes up almost every inch of space under the hood.
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
2004 Aprilia Mojito Custom 50

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 02:23:06 PM »
8 qts?? Damn. 

I'm going to test drive a V6 GLX B5.5 this afternoon, and maybe a BMW 325xi as well.  I've sat in the 325/330, and was fairly impressed, though I like the B6 A4 interior a little better. 

I tested a B6 V6 4motion a couple of weeks ago.  Honestly, that car scared the hell outta me.  The early cars have a hesitation issue trying to come out of a rolling stop.  I found this out as I was trying to cross 104th in traffic.  VW released a firmware update in late Aug for the issue, I just wish I could find a car that has been updated.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 02:32:48 PM »
Yeah that hesitation in the 3.6 is nutty. It took VW a long time to release an update after many many many complaints.

The BMW is nice, it is a nice car to drive without a doubt. In terms of handling and being fun to drive I would go BMW over VW, but you definitley get more room in the VW.

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »
I will actually avoid that VW dealer in the future b/c of the car not being updated.  The update had been out for about a month, and they didn't update a car they were trying to sell?  Pathetic.   Too bad they are about 5 minutes from my house.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 04:02:43 PM »
They have no incentive to update a car on the lot. I have learned that the dealers while knowing it needs the update, would rather sell it without the update and then see if you figure it out. Jerks.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 07:39:34 PM »
For our edification, which dealer was this?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 04:14:45 PM »
For our edification, which dealer was this?

Lithia.

Is there a reason why the v6 GLX Auto might feel a little pokey?  I test drove one, and it was OK, but nothing really exciting.  Seemed rev happy without too much pep. 

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 04:23:49 PM »
The 2.8 isn't really known as an exciting engine. You could have the tip reprogrammed for sport mode to eek a bit more out of it. However, it is reliable and has been around for a long time. It has enough power to get you through the hills, and where you want to go, but it's not going to pin you to your seat.

It is a bit underpowered for the heavy weight of the A6 sedan and Avant, but I think it was a good option for the Passat and A4.