Author Topic: :-(  (Read 3515 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
:-(
« on: October 01, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: :-(
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 03:15:52 PM »
yep.  car is on a flatbed headed down to see Randy. 
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »
Oh man Andrew, I am so sorry to hear that, hopefully there is a warranty on those puppies that can be applied. We're all praying for a speedy recovery.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 03:30:40 PM »
Time to swap in a D2 S8 motor!
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 03:38:31 PM »
I hate that b!tch >:(

We will see soon enough.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 03:42:41 PM »
tow truck driver just called, he is pulling in your parking lot.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »
Oh SUCK! How'd it blow already??!!
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »
Oh SUCK! How'd it blow already??!!

I dont know.  I was actually really easy on the car.   :-\

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »
Dang Andrew, that is a serious bummer.  Is it time to unpimp that auto or go for higher levels of pimpage?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 05:29:03 PM »
OMG, that sucks the big one.

I heard it once, you heard it once, but TWICE....and so soon?  That is crazy and really disappointing.

I will stay tuned for info on the cause and plans for the future...maybe tune down the performance a bit?

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 05:29:32 PM »
W...T....F...  That sucks. 
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »
These were K04s, correct?  Same setup Cole was running?
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »
Randy just confirmed dead drivers side turbo

These were K04s, correct?  Same setup Cole was running?

yep K04's.

Randy has made calls to BW to see if they will warranty the part.

Yeah, this is a bummer  :'(

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 05:56:34 PM »
are you car shopping yet?

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 06:14:29 PM »
are you car shopping yet?

yes, but not for an allroad replacement.  when it is working I love that car.  I can honestly think of nothing I'd rather drive.  Its irrational, but if I sell it I'll never get the $ invested in the upgrades back out of it.  parting it out would be a nightmare.  I'd rather just fix it and keep driving.   ???

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 06:25:39 PM »
Blowing one turbo seems to happen pretty often, is there some trick to balancing the wastegate action or something?  AS they feed a common plenum I could see one WG opening sooner and the other turbo overspeeding itself to death.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2007, 07:19:57 PM »
yes, but not for an allroad replacement.  when it is working I love that car.  I can honestly think of nothing I'd rather drive.  Its irrational, but if I sell it I'll never get the $ invested in the upgrades back out of it.  parting it out would be a nightmare.  I'd rather just fix it and keep driving.   ???

you are much more tolerant than I was.  One time with the turbo lady was enough for me, due to cost of replacement.  Sure, the allroad is a fantastic car, but for my income and budget, it was not reasonable for me to keep and risk the turbos again and again....not to mention the suspension, etc.

I do miss my allroad, just wish I had the money at hand to continue to dump into it.  $5K+ a year to put into repairs (which I did 2 years in a row)...that is a pretty nice car payment ;)...or butt loads of mods to the MINI, haha.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 08:53:03 PM »
Blowing one turbo seems to happen pretty often, is there some trick to balancing the wastegate action or something?  AS they feed a common plenum I could see one WG opening sooner and the other turbo overspeeding itself to death.

I dont think thats it, but it is a possibility.

you are much more tolerant than I was.  One time with the turbo lady was enough for me, due to cost of replacement.  Sure, the allroad is a fantastic car, but for my income and budget, it was not reasonable for me to keep and risk the turbos again and again....not to mention the suspension, etc.

I do miss my allroad, just wish I had the money at hand to continue to dump into it.  $5K+ a year to put into repairs (which I did 2 years in a row)...that is a pretty nice car payment ;)...or butt loads of mods to the MINI, haha.

but at this point my mods are done (other than intercoolers and suspension, both of which are planned.)  So it is just maintenance.  IF BW warranties these turbos they wont be 5K.

besides think of it this way.  5K a year is ~415/month.  thats the equivalent of financing about $22K for 60 Months for a car payment.  although there are cars in that price range that are good none of them really compare with the allroad.  to get the allroad's current (when turbo is good) level of performance, comfort, style, and convenience I'd have to be looking at cars in the 90K range.  the M5 is about as fast but lacks the utility and comes in about 85K.  same for the current S6.  the porsche cayenne turbo S comes in comparably on all levels, but has a price tag of $140K+.   

I need to find a reasonably priced wagon or SUV with 400+hp a manual transmission and 4wd.  Then I'll think about losing the allroad.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2007, 09:13:52 PM »
You are totally right, but all of that is out of our price range....and Betsy would not be thrilled about that level of maintenance ;).  I just told her you had a turbo go again, and her responses were. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh :(, I'm sad for him!!!"...followed by, "That's why we got rid of the allroad".  She will let me spend money to play with the MINI, but she was not thrilled about turbos and the cost of repairs on the allroad. 

Still, I do miss my allroad, just wish the power had more reliability...and was more reasonable.

If they don't warranty it, your power upgrades will be around the $12-15K range this year alone...That is half of a new car for me and our budget ;)

I hope they do cover it for you, cuz that is one wicked fast allroad, no doubt!!!!!!!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2007, 11:41:36 PM »
sorry to hear your turbo pains andrew. I hope BW warranties the turbo. Looks like randy will be getting my car for next week i am on vacation for figure out what is going on with the cooling system. 

It must be something with our neck of the woods.. I can't wait to move!!

Docwyte

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 11:59:52 PM »
Dude!  You and Cole are the only people I've ever heard of to have PJ K04 failure!  Almost all the others were hybrids, which were built poorly.

Sorry to hear it, I'm sure they'll be warrantied, they're not very old.  Course there's still all the labor...
ttp://www.projectonelap.com

Stock parts for sale, contact me for info!

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 12:45:59 AM »
darn man,that's a big disappointment. I hope you can get that fixed soon. That's the coolest Allroad I have ever seen!
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 11:52:40 AM »
That's exactly why I bought a car with 1 turbo. I can afford to replace that! In fact, it's cheaper than my cooling system repair.

Of which Eric and I seem to share the same fate and hopefully, his won't blow up.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 12:27:18 PM »
Do you know the cause of the failure yet?  Just curious why a low mileage turbo would go boom.
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2007, 01:49:44 PM »
Turbo infant mortality can be caused by a few things (not implying anything in this case, just talking in general terms.)

Manufacturing defect (much more common with hybrids and cheapo rebuilds

Lack of pre oiling

Oil supply problem that killed the old turbo never corrected

Overspeeding/boost control issues

Foreign object damage [very common on some cars after some intake work, like how a stripped airbox bolt hole in a 944 turbo leads to an airbox bolt going down the hatch.]

In the case of a twin turbo setup, I can see if the wastegate springs are not set right at the factory, one could easy run faster than the other at cruise.  Even to the point where one turbo does most of the boosting.  If the N75s allow the same pressure to two wastegates, one set for 5psi and one set for 7psi, if you are cruising at 6psi you have one turbo idling one boosting.  That should be no big deal as one K04 can feed a 2.7l motor and produce 150-200hp easily... but what happens when you get on the gas?  The turbo that is on the boil would probably overspeed before the other one gets gets off it's lazy behind.  In the case of a K03 or K04 that can mean contact between the housing and the wheel.

Twin turbos need to have the WG pressure checked and set with a pressure tester, they should be carefully adjusted to be the same.  I would be willing to believe that over time, as this adjustment drifts, the result is one turbo dying much earlier than the other.

Single turbos are a lot less complicated.
-Joel.

hotani

• Heavily Modded
    • G+
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 01:33:32 AM »
Holy crap. Ouch meng, that er... blows.  :-\
Quick! Everyone out of the universe!
New: 2006 A4 Avant
Old: 2001 A4 1.8TQM