Author Topic: The TB is DONE!!  (Read 7027 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
The TB is DONE!!
« on: February 22, 2004, 02:23:07 AM »
Props to Dub for the house....huge props to Alan and his experience! More props to everyone who came so we could all bounce stuff off each other! My car works, I pulled off half the front end and put it all back together again!
I replaced the DV too..wow! It feels good to have turbo whine and boost again.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Wyaka

• Lightly Modded
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 02:39:22 AM »
How long total did it take? Looked like a mess, I'm not looking forward to doing it myself. It was great meeting all of you today, maybe I'll try to take a day off the next drive or track day.
Look officer, I really do own it......

Rocky Mountain Club B5

The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 02:39:22 AM »

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 02:48:23 AM »
Hehehe...Chas got done about an hour ago 8:30ish...he ran into several hitches...but the man got it done as always!
I did it in about six hours...and I'm stoked that I don't have to do it again until about 120k! :lol:
It was a long day. I think ZZZZZzzzzz...
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

shummer

• Modded
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 03:19:14 AM »
Wow! How many TBs were done? Is it continuing tomorrow? Sorry I couldn't make it guys. My daughter was uber sick today.

spencerjw

• Stock
    • http://diesel.textamerica.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 04:05:40 PM »
I have to agree, it was an amazing sight to see.  15-18 vehicles all crammed into the end of a cul-de-sac with either their hoods or their trunks open, sometimes both.

I didn't really do much as far as my car goes, actually I did nothing at all.  But I was able to be a driver to the parts store for those who didn't obviously have a car in drivable condition.  I was also there for moral support and to just meet the guys.

I really hope to be able to participate in the next GTG/Garage day more hands on, but with less than 4000 miles on my car it's proably going to be a while till I have a whole lot that needs to be done.

I did get a good pic that's posted to my moBlog (see link below) of the bunpers lined up in Dub's front yard, check it out.

J, when you get those pics off the camera please send the ones of my car to me when you get the time.

Thanks guys for letting me just wonder around and stick my head inside the mess.  Can't wait for the next gathering, no matter what it is for!
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T
APR Chip - Alien Remote Mod - Tinted Windows

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 12:24:14 AM »
If you want to see the pictures then Click Here!.

If you have pictures as well you should eb able to add them to the same album, if you have any trouble let me know.  Spencer check your e-mail soon for pictures of your ride.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 01:18:11 AM »
those pics are great, I am so bummed I missed all the action, what a sight.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 01:11:02 PM »
I finally woke up late Sunday morning...hehehe. I was so tired, my body was sore and I had no desire whatsoever to open the hood of my car :?
It's running so nice though...I don't listen to the radio hardly ever now cause I like hearing my engine... :lol:
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 01:33:23 PM »
I too had a great time.  The from ends in the yard looked like a row of head stones.  8O  I am glad that it did not turn out that way.

I installed my new C-Bar (formerly know as the Chas-Bar) after a little Dremel encouragement and WOW.  Know I know just how bad my stock suspension is.  Thanks Chas.  I spend $60 and now I get to spend $1000. :oops:

Thanks for hosting (again) Dub.  I think I am going to start referring to your house as Mecca.  Once every quarter all the faithful members of RMCB5 seem to find themselves on a pilgrimage there.

Looking for ward to the next time!
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 03:15:52 PM »

LOL!
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 03:24:49 PM »
WTF Mike, read the thread, there is a link to the Gallery....damn. ;)

Chas

• Modded
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 03:40:36 PM »
MY FREAKING BACK IS STILL KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention my legs too..

Yes, I was the first one to have my bumper off and the last to put it back on. And yes, I did have a few set backs along the way. Broken bolt on the tensioner and a new crank pulley that didn't want to go on. (F'ing piece of crap!  :evil:  :evil:  :x  :x  :x )

And then there was me helping almost everyone else out along the way too. I think I set every engine (6 in all) to Top Dead Center, helped JR install his spark plugs, help assist on tha C-Bar install, started up the VAG-COM for Spencer and a bunch of other things I'm sure I have forgotten.  :roll:  Not that a few other didn't help me. I too am thankful for Alan's help throughout the day. And if it wasn't for Winston taking off that lower TB cover I'd still be at his house. Stupid 5mm Allen bolt... :x

So you can see why I was the last to leave Winston's house. Had I been working on my own car the whole time I'm sure I would have been done much ealier.

I will tell you guys that I am a bit miffed. I brought 1.5 gallons of VW antifreeze to the Garage Day. Which ment I would have had more than enough for my own car plus others. Some folks didn't bring any at all. I ended up only getting a few pints of new antifreeze into my own system. That's not right, not at all. That stuff cost me almost $40. If it wasn't for Jay finding a few pints left over at his house and some other stuff here and there I would have had to put my old stuff back in. Which is basically what I had to do anyway. And on top of that, I'm missing a few tools. Nothing big or expencive, but still...  If anyone finds they have an extra, 6 inch long, 3/8th drive extention in their tool box, or a 6mm allen wrench, I'd love to get them back.

I loved being part of group garage day, but I'm left with a less than satisfied feeling and I'm not sure if I want to be part of a large garage day again.  :(  I'm not angry or anything, but a feeling of being taken advantage of is more like it. I'll get over it, but still...  :(
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
Some Sedans haul families,
this one hauls ASS!

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 04:08:28 PM »
Chas, hold on there buddy, I'm actually going to get some coolant for you today as I think it was my fault that there was none left for you.

I'm free days all this week, so just let me know and I'll bring it over to you.  It's the least I can do.

Here are my pics, so check em out!

http://www.rmcb5.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album50&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1[/code]

Also, does someone have an extra (silver) vice-grip?  I'm missing one.  I have a few extra tools too, so let me know if you are missing anything.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 04:19:14 PM »
Well this was our largest by far and I can understand your dissatisfaction with certain aspects of it Chas, but going in it should have been known that there would be some setbacks and some others needing help.  In my mind that is what a garage day is all about.  It's not just getting together, but sharing knowledge and helping those that may not have the experience or know how on difficult tasks like these.  I can't recall a Garage Day that hasn't put someone out or caused someone a delay in their own work.

There was a lot of tool swapping going on and as in most garage days just posting what your missing means someone will post back soon with the details on when they can get it back to you.  The only tool I ever lost was a bit in StarlightB5s tail light black hole :)  I think we finally got it out last fall! Everyone is very good about getting tools back if borrowed.

The coolant dilemma was a challenge and I too am out on my coolant.  It is expensive stuff, and with my history of coolant leaks I need to buy more this week to be safe.  However, it was worth donating it to try and keep folks from re-using that nasty stuff. Just another example on why it is important to do a checklist before digging into a project.  There was so much going on by the time it was realized what was needed all the parts depts had just closed for the day. These things happen unfortunately and the old cliche is "Hindsight is always 20/20."

I'm sure there is more than one person in this group that has felt the same way as you after a garage day Chas. I don't think anyone was intending to take advantage of you.

I can't speak for anyone else, but your knowledge is invaluable and I can only imaging it was and will always be a huge asset to this community.  I hope it's just the aches and pains and that after you recouperate your feelings aren't the same.  However if they are I can understand, it is hard to get things done when you have to stop in the middle of something to help someone, but that's how every day is for me so it doesn't bother me too much.

I guess the next step would be, how can we make it better in the future on big Garage Days to make it run smoother?

No one should feel put out or taken advantage of EVER at a GTG or Garage Day.  The whole reason for doing this stuff is for learning and having fun and saving money.  Not to mention becoming one with our cars.  Some folks in this group have more mechanical experience and know how than others and unfortunately those folks will be prodded for answering questions and sought for help when others aren't sure what to do. No one expects anyone else to be a babysitter, but sometimes we need out hands held through something to understand what we are doing so in the future we can repeat the process for ourselves or someone else.  Kinda like, give a mana  fish he eats for a day, teach him to fish he eats for a lifetime.  If you do the work for someone it's done until the next time, teach them how to do they will always be abel to do it and then help teach others.

Well anyway, that's my $5.02 (inflation).  Again, Chas, we don't want you to feel bad about the day :(, the coolant I understand and the tools I understand (and feel confident they will be returned or replaced).  I would think the knowledge you gained form this day as well as the knowledge you passed on to otherse benefits yourself and everyone you helped.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2004, 04:20:52 PM »
Quote from: "ColoradoB5"

Also, does someone have an extra (silver) vice-grip?  I'm missing one.  I have a few extra tools too, so let me know if you are missing anything.

W check this out, Blair accidentaly left with it:

http://www.rmcb5.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=639

Also, I can swing by this week or the weekend to pick up my jack stand and camera from you W.

Chas

• Modded
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2004, 04:24:43 PM »
Oh Winston, you don't have to do that. Like I said, I'm not angry. I think I'm just still so sore from Saturday that it's effecting me. That and I'm still pissed about that stupid crank pulley. How could that thing be any different from an A4 engine? I wish I had looked at it against one of the A4 pulleys while they were off. I'm also thinking that maybe I'll give it another try this week. Maybe tomorrow.

-edit- Jay, I'm not pissed about having to help people. Hell, if I didn't want to do it I wouldn't have done it. And the tools (like I said above) aren't a big deal, I just would like to have them back if possible.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

Chas

• Modded
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2004, 04:58:03 PM »
Oh, also, in cleaning out my toolbox and putting things away this morning I found I had gained two combo wrenches. Both Craftman, one a 17mm and the other a 10mm. I think they are Alan's, but I'm not sure. Let me know if you are missing any of these wrenches because they aren't mine.
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2004, 05:05:22 PM »
Maybe the tools are just reproducing in your toolbox Chas.  Better open it slowly, you don't want to "suprise" any of them in the act.

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 05:37:27 PM »
Chas, I'm missing a couple tools also.  I think there is a socket (maybe 10mm) and a 17mm wrench.  They're both Craftsman and both just a month old.  I'll check when I get home tonight.
As far as all the crap you went through Chas, I think Jay said it all.  I couldn't agree with him more, especially this part:

I can't speak for anyone else, but your knowledge is invaluable and I can only imaging it was and will always be a huge asset to this community. I hope it's just the aches and pains and that after you recouperate your feelings aren't the same. However if they are I can understand, it is hard to get things done when you have to stop in the middle of something to help someone, but that's how every day is for me so it doesn't bother me too much.

There were at least a couple people that bummed coolant off of us.  Everyone here is so cool, I'm sure they'll get us back.

Again, thanks to everyone that showed up.  Overall, it was a HUGE success.  And Dub, thanks for hosting....AGAIN.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2004, 06:55:10 PM »
LOL, we should actually have a cleanup thread.

I have an extra 10mm socket, and a few others.  I am missing a 10mm wrench (I don't know what it is called) that has a hex end on both ends and has two elbows...

I got Chas some coolant, so if anyone needs some or got left out, hit him up for it.   :xmas:

Jay, I am oof days all week, so I can bring them to work if you want to swing by (I go in at 5pm) and I can get them to you.

Thanks again everyone for helping me drive Jen crazy and learn something new about my car.  I am thinking about doing a Thrmostat writeup, so if anyone wants to do it, I can help and take pics, since I learned the best way not to do it.  :)

spencerjw

• Stock
    • http://diesel.textamerica.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2004, 06:58:56 PM »
I am thinking about doing a Thrmostat writeup, so if anyone wants to do it, I can help and take pics, since I learned the best way not to do it.  :)

On my way over to your house I almost called my younger brother to see if he wanted to come with me since he has an Audi A4.  He's getting ready to sell it but in needs the thermostat done as well.  Kicking myself in the ass for not calling him since that has been his biggest problem to date and doesn't want to fork out the cash for 7 hours of labor to get it fixed.  Oh well, next time I guess.
pencer
Parker - '04 Passat 1.8T
APR Chip - Alien Remote Mod - Tinted Windows

Check Out My MoBlog
My Gallery

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2004, 07:00:40 PM »
Quote from: "spencerjw"
I am thinking about doing a Thrmostat writeup, so if anyone wants to do it, I can help and take pics, since I learned the best way not to do it.  :)

On my way over to your house I almost called my younger brother to see if he wanted to come with me since he has an Audi A4.  He's getting ready to sell it but in needs the thermostat done as well.  Kicking myself in the ass for not calling him since that has been his biggest problem to date and doesn't want to fork out the cash for 7 hours of labor to get it fixed.  Oh well, next time I guess.

Doh!  Except for the coolant he'll need, the job is a 10 minute ordeal!  Just takes doing it once and he can pimp out his thermostat changing services.

kt037

• Modded
    • http://www.edition719.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2004, 07:17:59 PM »
Quote from: "gietl"
WTF Mike, read the thread, there is a link to the Gallery....damn. ;)

oops i didn't see the link,

i have  an extra bottle of coolant i could possibly donate next time i'm up if needed.
OT DISH?-----> nope!
and YES I KNOW I CAN NOT SEPLL!!!!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 08:26:58 PM »
Chas, you know you da man.   I can completely understand your frustration, but if we did not have you around, we would all be lost.  I can say I have learned more from you than any single other person on any of the boards.  

I say we all have another burger beer night down that side of town and we all pitch in for Chas's dinner and beers...that is the least we owe him for his endless efforts over the years.  I know I have taken advantage of his knowledge, more than once...and the CBar was awesome....What say you all, burgers and beers on us?

cheers
jon 8)

velo

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.alankrobertson.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2004, 08:32:31 PM »
Did anyone post on clubb5 about this garage day?  Rocky Mtn ClubB5 is setting the standard all other regional groups will follow.  8)

Chas, sorry all your coolant got used up by others.  Hopefully the guys will chip in to pay you back.  Sorry I had so little extra in my trunk to donate to the cause.  That sucks that you'll have to take your nose off again to try installing that lightweight pulley once more.  Hopefully you'll figure out how to get it installed or get your money back!  As for extra/missing tools, I think I'm ok there.  I was careful to get back any of my tools and none extra.  I don't have any Craftsman wrenches, so those aren't mine.

I love that pic of all the old timing and accessory belts hanging on the corner of Winston's workbench.  That picture sums up all the hard work of the day.  I had a great time lending a hand where I could and I hope all your cars are running good now (and for the next 60k miles).  :wink:
lan
2000 1.8T 5spd

Chas

• Modded
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 11:20:56 PM »
Guys, I don't need to be taken out for any extra burgers or beers. But the thought is a nice one. I guess I felt a little bummed after Saturdays trials and tribulations and that pulley didn't help at all. And to be a sore as I am still today, it just all added up. I guess was just a little irked to have to put so much used coolant back into my car after bringing so much. I'm feeling a lot better now. I guess I just needed to vent. Winston was the man and he got some more coolant for me today. And he's right, if anyone needs some, I have plenty of extra now.  :roll:  Damn Dub, that was a little too much. One would have been fine.  :wink:  8O  :D  So don't anyone hessitate to ask for some!

As for the tools, I gave the two wrenches to Winston. After what Pat wrote, I think that the 17mm wrench is his. It looked very nice and shiny and new. The 10mm wrench looked to have a few miles on it, but a 10mm wrench is a very much needed tool on our cars. So it will be much missed by it's rightful owner.

I didn't drive my car at all yesterday. I was kind of over it after Saturday. But I did go out and drive it around a bit today and it felt just right. Nice and tight!
2003 Audi A6 2.7T
this one hauls ASS!

madigan

• Modded
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2004, 12:07:05 AM »
I bummed coolant and am more than willing to reimburse anyone who needs some. I did suppy the distilled water though, but it was only $.69 a gallon. :( Sorry your bummed Chas - you're knowledge of the the 1.8T engine is...well, I don't even know the word to explain it, but it's invaluable! I'm glad you let us know you were unhappy and were able to vent. Also, I'm glad your feeling a little bit better.

I was so sore on Sunday, I'm glad I don't have to do that again for a long time. The new underdrive pulley and DV really make a nice difference. I never realized how worn out my DV was and I definitely noticed a difference immediately.

Thanks to everyone who helped me. I couldn't have done it with you all. I hope to host a garage day this summer and return the favor.

That's what I love our local B5 chapter, we seem to be much more close knit than a lot of the other regional clubs. I think that says a bunch.
mad wagon

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2004, 12:38:47 AM »
You guys said it all...sniff sniff...

LOL, this is one picture that sure does say a lot...

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 01:30:12 AM »
8O
Keep your eyes peeled!
 8O

I'm missing:
15/32 socket
6 mm socket
10 mm socket

Let me know what you guys find.

I ended up buying another gallon of coolant.  I refilled a couple times a couple days ago and was VERY low today.  Everyone should check theirs.  I have some more coolant left over, so let me know if you need it.
Thanks!
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
The TB is DONE!!
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2004, 02:46:55 AM »
When you guys refilled did you refill the radiator or just the resevoir?