Author Topic: I've stolen somebody's Vice Grip  (Read 2728 times)

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
I've stolen somebody's Vice Grip
« on: February 23, 2004, 02:01:06 PM »
Blair here (the one with the white '00 GLX having the tie rods changed).  It was greating meeting all of the guys and I appreciated the advice and help and loaning of the tools when I needed something I didn't have.  Well guess what? One of of those tools I didn't have was a Vice Grip and somehow it came home with me in the trunk of my car.  Not a clue who I borrowed it from but more than willing to make sure I get it back to you asap by whatever means possible.  It's what I would refer to as a "medium sized" (not the largest and not the smallest) Vice Grip.

I'm sorry, oh so sorry for taking it and hopefully somebody will figure out they're missing it.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 06:45:21 PM »
Hehe, you got mine, Blair.  Glad it helped out though.  Anytime you are in the area, just set it on my porch, otherwise, I'll get it from you at our next GTG.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 06:45:21 PM »

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 06:54:58 PM »
I'll be up there in the next couple days and I'll drop it off on your front porch.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 06:58:48 PM »
Great thanks Blair!  See ya at our next GTG!

Corlesdi

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 08:51:15 PM »
Oh yeah, Blair, I haven't forgotten about getting you those pictures of the standard vs. heavy duty tie rod ends.  I'm currently at work, so I'll try to get those up tonight.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 08:53:56 PM »
Those heavy duties are sweet, nothing like using solid steel instead of a rubber bushing.  How is the ride, is it a huge difference?

Corlesdi

• n00balicious
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 08:56:20 PM »
So, Jay, where is the Paypal link?  Also, in addition to getting a XL T-shirt how do I get a pair of window stickers?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 09:02:14 PM »
Working on the Paypal link, should be up later this evening.  I think there is just one XL left and it is yours, although I will need to double check when I get home.  My high tech trunk inventory system makes it difficult sometimes ;).

As for stickers, drop a note to Winston (coloradob5).  He usually takes care of the sticker ordering, you can check out This Thread for more details on stickers.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 11:30:26 PM »
We need to find a local place to get these made.  I would like to get a new round made up with a logo on it or something...

I need to add this to my projects list.   I'll have something more definite in a week or so, so check back with me then Cory!

See ya!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 12:24:47 AM »
Doantions block is up, I still need to check the inventory, but I have a lot of work ahead of me still tonight so it may need to wait until lunch tomorrow.

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 01:36:15 PM »
Sorry I checked out for a few days...

Well after having the new tie rods installed for a few days/drives I must say the feel is dramatically different.  I'm kinda discounting the profoundness of it because they were bad for SOOO long that anything would seem dramatic to me.  It has convinced me though that the original tie rods were bad around 30-35k miles.  Although it didn't technically affect the ride that much that is when I noticed what I perceived as bad struts or just a little to much vibration/kick-back/harshness, etc. in the front suspension - wasn't aware of any tie rod issues back then.  Knowing the struts were highly unlikely to be bad at that point I blamed it on the tires even though they still had significant tread on them and couldn't be that hardened just yet.  When I put knew tires on around 40k it still wasn't the same as new but the new tires helped reduce the harshness that I associated with a bad "ride".  To summarize though, I feel like I'm driving a new car relative to what it drove like before - wandering aimlessly through turns and on the grooved highways we have here.

I'm just wondering what exactly made me wait so long (outside of $$$$ - and it was a relatively cheap fix). The wife's A4 will be put on some jackstands today and checked as well but it's under warranty and this way the dealer can't snow me - it's McDonald so I fully expect them to attempt that.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 10:23:08 PM »
Good deal Blair.  I got the vice grips.  Thanks.

I have a question though.  Are the good or bad ones made out of steel?

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 10:24:38 PM »
Good ones are solid, bad ones have a rubber bushing to soften the ride.

XCMTBing

• n00balicious
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2004, 01:40:15 AM »
Good to see you got the Vice Grip. Thank you!

Jay is correct about the tie rods.  I got mine from ECS tuning and they look nearly identical to OE "low duty" tie rods but they don't have the rubber "insert" and they're much fatter at the ball joint.

I was also referred to this site (see link below) by somebody on VWVortex. These tierods look high quality and I'm sure they're priced accordingly.

http://www.customperf.com/passat.htm

Checked my wife's A4 tie rods today and they seem to be fine (39k miles) but the boots around the ball joints are hammered...it can only be a matter of time.