Author Topic: Madigan's new underdrive pulley  (Read 2404 times)

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
Madigan's new underdrive pulley
« on: February 24, 2004, 01:31:24 PM »
Madigan-
Can you tell much of a difference with the new underdrive pully from ECS?  Where in the powerband?  Give us all a review!
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

madigan

• Modded
Re: Madigan's new underdrive pulley
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 03:18:12 PM »
Quote from: "Denver Pat"
Madigan-
Can you tell much of a difference with the new underdrive pully from ECS?  Where in the powerband?  Give us all a review!

Yes. I am very happy with my new UDP from ECS! For those that don't know, it's about half the size of the stock pulley and actually fits inside the stock one! Oh, it also weighs about 1/2lb. were as the stock pulley weighs about 7-8lbs. 8O There is a definite increase in power from 1000 rpm's all the way up through 3000 rpm's. The most noticeable differnce is acceleration from a standing start. I can really see an improvement between 1000 and 2000 rpm's and can pull away much more quickly than before. I think it was worth $120, maybe not $190, so I'm glad I got it for the GB price. Between the new pulley and DV I am very pleased. Feel free to ask me any questions...
mad wagon

Rocky Mountain Club B5

Re: Madigan's new underdrive pulley
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 03:18:12 PM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 03:30:49 PM »
Very cool.  The EFK provided similar improvements.  I can tell there might be a little more ooomph up top, but notice a significant difference below 3K rpm.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 04:14:53 AM »
OK, forget what I said about the EFK and lower RPMs.  I had a chance to test it a little more on the way home from work tonight.  THis things pulls harder throughout the rev range.  What a great mod for $135!  Any it doesn't work the engine any harder either.  Strongly recommended.
-Chuck Patterson

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 02:29:45 PM »
Nice Pat... How hard was the install? I totally forgot to check it out.
mad wagon

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 02:35:23 PM »
Well, once the front end was off, it was a piece of cake.  Since I was already doing the belts, it added probably 15-20 minutes to the procedure.  Not a big deal at all.
It felt even better this morning on the way to work than it did last night.  Very, very satisfied.
-Chuck Patterson

madigan

• Modded
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 03:00:15 PM »
probably 15-20 minutes...It felt even better this morning on the way to work than it did last night.  Very, very satisfied.

Wow! I have to find more info on running an EFK and UDP together. I know there are some people who have done it but...
mad wagon

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 03:30:28 PM »
Ignorance...EFK stands for.....?
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 03:32:02 PM »
Quote from: "madigan"
probably 15-20 minutes...It felt even better this morning on the way to work than it did last night.  Very, very satisfied.

Wow! I have to find more info on running an EFK and UDP together. I know there are some people who have done it but...

Yeah, I've heard it's not a good idea, although I'm not sure the reasoning.  I'm sure it's something pretty basic.
-Chuck Patterson

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 03:32:48 PM »
Quote from: "TLJR20v"
Ignorance...EFK stands for.....?

Electric Fan Kit.
-Chuck Patterson

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 03:33:31 PM »
Thanks...too many freakin' initials on these cars....
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

Corlesdi

• n00balicious
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 05:18:36 PM »
Are you going to install an adjustable thermo for the EFK like Chaz has?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 06:15:19 PM »
I think that's very cool, but don't think I want to unless I'm not satisfied with how it works now.  I'll start paying closer attention to when it comes on once it starts to warm up.  If it doesn't come on soon enough or stay on long enough I'll consider changing it.
It was great to hang out with you again.  Keep an eye out for a group drive in the next couple months, or a burger and beer (or protien shake and banana) GTG.
Ride on!
-Chuck Patterson

Corlesdi

• n00balicious
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 09:05:46 PM »
Yeah, it was great to hang out with you and everyone too.  Now, I just need to figure out a way to get myself an OEM sport suspension.  (That or an Avant).  I don't think I want anything lower than that.  Are there any other plans in the future for a suspension GTG?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 12:56:09 AM »
Quote from: "Corlesdi"
Yeah, it was great to hang out with you and everyone too.  Now, I just need to figure out a way to get myself an OEM sport suspension.  (That or an Avant).  I don't think I want anything lower than that.  Are there any other plans in the future for a suspension GTG?

There are usually plans to do SOME kind of modding.  A friend of mine just ordered NeuStiens for his B6 avant, so I think we'll be putting that in at Jon's sometime in the next month or two.  You should have no problem finding OEM sport suspension for your car.  People are almost giving them away.  Post on the A4 forum and be ready for you inbox to be flooded.  You might want to consider just getting OEM sport springs and pair them with Bilstien sports.  Those shocks have a lifetime warranty.  If you buy used shocks they'll loose a lot of effectiveness after 50,000 miles or so.  Depends how much you want to spend and how stiff you want the ride.   I bet you could find the OEM sport springs for $100 or so.  The shocks would be another $450 if you went with NeuSteins.  Check with Vanimaniac and see how much he got his for and where he got them from.
-Chuck Patterson