Author Topic: How can you tell if a shock is blown?  (Read 4457 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
How can you tell if a shock is blown?
« on: October 30, 2007, 11:10:33 PM »
I suspect my drivers front shock is kaput. I have the wheel of and it is jacked up. I know oil from the shock would be tell tale, but I can't really tell what's up.

I also had a concern about a broken spring after reading some stories, but again, the spring looks fine, but when it breaks does it really break or does it just give up?

Sorry for my n00bness, not an issue I have had to deal with before.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
Re: How can you tell if a shock is blown?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 12:19:28 AM »
Springs will usually break, and your ride height will notice it ;)

Shocks on the other hand can be tricky, depending on how they fail.  The easiest way, of course, is if you see oil around the shaft.  If it's an internal failure, get the corner you think is dead a bouncin' and see how long it takes to stop bouncin'.  More than 3ish movements, and it's probably dead.  Some failures can be identified by pulling the shock, compressing it, and seeing if it expands on it's own - not all shocks perform this way.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 12:19:28 AM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:02 AM »
Thanks Ian, I forgot to post these here. So it's hard to see, but there is a bit of grime at the top of the shock. The boot was no longer attached on the top either. The Spring seems okay, I grabbed it and pulled on it. Before jacking the car up I tried bouncing it but I couldn't. The drivers side is sitting lower than the passenger side. For reference I can fit two fingers between the fender and the tire on the pass side but not on the driver side.

I'd head into Randy, but just shelled out a lot of cash for some work on the house and some medical needs so I gotta tackle this one on my own.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:55:22 AM »
Jay, if you need a hand doing a swap out, I would be happy to lend a hand.  I just need to get my spring compressors back from Matt Daniels, but outside of that, and the fact that I have to do it on a week day, I would be happy to help switch things out.

You can even drop your car off here, I will loan you the Subie for the day, and I can take care of it for you while you are working.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 12:58:33 AM »
Hey Jon, you are always so willing to help everyone out, I appreciate that!

I haven't driven the car in a week since I noticed it driving funny. Due to work demands this is the first I have had a chance to look at it. :(

When I put the wheel back on and lowered the car back down I could hear some, what sounded like, kind of crackling from the spring.

I guess I may have to just bite the bullet and pull the assembly to find out what the deal is. I just hate leaving the car up on a jack or a stand while I wait for parts. I would like to figure it out, order em up and when they come it have at it.

Other than doing the job, I am concerned about setting the camber plates properly after the work. I guess one thing at a time. :)

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »
Ugh.  Looks like you get to spend some quality time with a spring compressor and check out that spring.
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 02:19:22 PM »
Yep, stopping by checker tonight on the way home.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »
holler at me if you need a hand.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 02:47:23 PM »
Thanks Jon! I need to get me a Bentley that's for sure. I have no idea what I need to do to get it out of there. :)

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
I seriously doubt it is any harder than the B5, in fact, probably much easier ;)

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 05:17:07 PM »
If you need anything printed out of the Bentley, let me know.
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
With Halloween being Wed and working late last night I have made no progress. I hope to pick up a strut compressor this evening and get that crap out of there tonight or tomorrow to find the culprit and work from there.

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 09:59:38 PM »
With Halloween being Wed and working late last night I have made no progress. I hope to pick up a strut compressor this evening and get that crap out of there tonight or tomorrow to find the culprit and work from there.

Wanna borrow mine?
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 12:19:50 AM »
Thanks Ian, I grabbed one from checker this evening. I am going to pull it in the morning. I chatted with Randy today and I am thinking based on what he told me I have a busted spring. So I will confirm tomorrow and then my guess is ordering a new set of springs on Monday morning.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 03:16:24 PM »
Well unfortunately my monter jack stands are too monster for my car. I can't get them under there. I guess you could also blame my jack for being lame becuase it isn't good enough.

Basically I wasn't about to trust my crappy little floor jack to hold my car up while I disassembled the assembly on the driver side. However, I am now 99.9% sure it is a broken spring after chatting with Randy and hearing the damn thing crackle and grind as I lower the car down.

Now the question...supposedly H&R offers lifetime warranty on their springs. Has anyone had one or a whole set replaced by H&R? I have the original receipt.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 05:56:29 PM »
Hey JR, I'm sorry I missed this.  I have spring compressors and everything else you may need.  I am free Wednesday evening if you want some help, just IM me.  Plus I think I am around 1 mile from your house too, so that also makes it convenient.

My shock had the grime at the top and a telltale pool of gook under the shock that smell a little like gas and oil...

If you don't have that, it may be your spring.

Let me know if I can help.

Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 06:02:39 PM »
JR is in Montana. :D

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 12:59:48 AM »
JR is in Montana. :D

Yeah, sorry Jay, I meant to say "Jay."

Forgive me?
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 01:35:36 AM »
Maybe...:P

I am looking to see if H&R is going to replace the springs right now so we'll see where that goes. Thank you though Dub, I appreciate it!

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 01:52:11 AM »
I haven't driven my car in over a month!

That is all going to change this week I hope. Thanks to Randy and all his hard work. New front springs getting put in and the t-belt job.

It's been kind of fun driving the Scout every day. Found out I am getting close to 14 mpg now! That's pretty damn good.

Still, I can't wait to get behind the wheel of the S, it has been too long. I will admit I have started it and moved it around in and out of the garage and on the driveway. I just don't consider that driving.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »
WOW! Mucho thanks to Randy and Todd for staying late and getting it all done.

In the end...

2 front springs from H&R (warranty)
2 sway bar bushings
4 control arm bushings
Timing belt job
Valve cover gasket

The car runs great, I can't believe the difference in the suspension. The bushings must have been shot for awhile and the springs had probably been failing for awhile as well.

The front end is totally solid. I can't believe it. The only thing now, it pulls to the left, but I am not surprised it needs an alignment after having all that done.

Again, Randy and Todd, thank you for busting your asses and getting this all done!

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 02:47:08 AM »
I meant to tell you I saw your car there late on Friday in the middle of the timing belt job.  glad to hear it is all back together and working well.  Randy and Todd rock!
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:30:39 AM »
that is awesome news that the car is all good now.  I still need to call them, out 2 daily drivers are in serious need of service.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 08:53:53 PM »
The best part of the deal for me is that I have my Halloween costume for next year already figured out.  I am going to make some Wil-e-coyote acme spring shoes out of Jay's old H&R's! ???

I am glad that you're happy Jay.  You have a wonderful car, I almost just drove it home when I took it for the test drive.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
Haha, that would be great if you do it!

Thanks for the compliments, it's kept good by you guys helping me take care of it. Enjoy the time off and thanks again.