Author Topic: I think I blew a Bilstein  (Read 1610 times)

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
I think I blew a Bilstein
« on: October 31, 2007, 01:39:49 AM »
I noticed a ugly mineral deposit on my garage floor the other day, and I'm not talking about the perennial one under my Land Cruiser.

It looks like the seal had gone on my Bilstein on the front left.  I know they have a lifetime warranty, which is half the reason I bought them.

Has anyone else had a problem with one and had to send it back?  They are the Neuspeed version, so maybe they will warranty it and just send me out a replacement.

The good news is that if you go through Bilstein (yes, in Germany), you can request they set it to any spec you want, so I was thinking about sending both fronts and having them made about 15% stiffer.

My question, if any of you have had to send them back, is how long does the process take and have you gone the route of buying replacements and then returning them?

Just trying to find out my options from those that have gone down this road.  They have been great shocks, but I only know one other person that has had this happen.

I wanted to post here before going to the Tex and PassatWorld.

Thanks,
Dub
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

gragravar

• Supercar
Re: I think I blew a Bilstein
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:21:12 AM »
didnt know that about Bilstein's but am happy to hear about this.  I have them on my rover and they'll need to be replaced eventually.  I'll be watching this thread to see how you do with the replacement.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 02:21:12 AM »

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 02:34:24 AM »
I've had about five of them warranted.  Give me a call and we can talk specifics.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »
oooh..I have bilsteins too, but I am not the original owner. Trying to figure out if I blew one as well (or if I broke a spring).

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:59 PM »
i think i blew a shock recently in my b5 also. front right side.  also after closer inspection i noticed that the other 3 shocks are red, and the one blown is black? did the a4 sport model have red or black shocks. i am wondering if someone was lazy and put in 3 shocks and couldn;'t get the last one i dunno?. reason i think it is out is because it makes a squeak that started recently and ALSO my car sits about a half inch lower on the side\......?

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 07:33:47 PM »
Red = sport package
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

bog4rt

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 12:55:02 AM »
i wonder why my front passenger side is black insteade of red.  maybe its really dirty and i should clean it and find out lol

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 12:31:47 PM »
That's very possible. My springs are blue, but I didn't know that until I cleaned some grime off of them.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 01:27:32 AM »
Well I talked to Neuspeed and they will warranty them.  For some reason, they don't have my purchase in their system, but that may be due to the fact that I bought it in a group buy.  I have the invoice, so it's not a problem.

Interestingly enough, they say you don't have to replace both fronts at the same time (not sure I agree, but as long as the other one is fine...)

They said I can pretty much follow the two logical courses of actions; I can take the bad one out, send it in and they will send me a new one, or I can buy a new one and send back the old one for a credit once they confirm it is actually bad.

Now without the invoice, they said I have the same two options, but they have to send them to Germany to have the warranty replacement fulfilled.

Obviously I am glad I keep all car receipts...forever.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.