Author Topic: 4x4 folks - question about lockers  (Read 2219 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
4x4 folks - question about lockers
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:00:29 PM »
so what do you guys think, are they worth it?  if I were to put some on the rover, do I put them in the front or the rear or both?  also automatic lockers (like detroit) or manual ones (like ARB)? 

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: 4x4 folks - question about lockers
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »
Depends what your 4x4 aspirations are. They are definitely useful, but in my opinion, unless you are really into some serious crawling I don't see the need, but that's me.

I know if I ever eventually do a SOA on the Scout I'll probably look into getting lockers because the Scout will be able to tackle the much more difficult trails and obstacles. As I recall (of course I have a 50/50 of getting this right) if you are only going with one, start in the rear.

As for auto or manual, that I cannot offer any input on.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:12:31 PM »
well, besides being the allroads backup vehicle, I do want the rover to be a pretty capable offroad machine (not that it isnt already).  masybe I shoud drive it until I start getting stuck, then look at getting some.  That said, I still want to plan out the direction to go.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »
That's probably the better plan. Nothing like building up a monster off-roader and not have the experience behind it.

Just have good recovery gear with you and once you realize your skill/desire is outgrowing what the rover can do in it's current state...upgrade! :D

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 03:55:10 PM »
well, besides being the allroads backup vehicle, I do want the rover to be a pretty capable offroad machine (not that it isnt already).  masybe I shoud drive it until I start getting stuck, then look at getting some.  That said, I still want to plan out the direction to go.

Take a wheeling day with me up Carnage and you will want lockers. ;D

I prefer people to learn to drive without lockers first. This makes them better wheelers.

Your Rover is basicly 2 wheel drive right now with open differentials. All the power will go to the wheels with the LEAST traction.  Lockers will make it a true 4 wheel drive. All 4 will get traction no matter what.

Automatic (full time) lockers SUCK on the street. They have quirks to them. Best on/off road ability is had with a selectable locker (ARB, Eaton e-locker etc). Plus you are less likely to break stuff with selectable lockers. You turn them on only when you need them and off when you don't. This allows you to drive trails "open" and work on your driving but have a backup for WHEN you get stuck.

Here are a couple of pictures of things you can ONLY do locked!! The Jeep is currently only locked in the rear with a eaton e-locker. (Selectable). It has had several types of auto lockers in it. I have broken 3 Powertrax "no-slips" and sold the Detroit full locker.

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:24:43 PM »
I figured Cole would reply first, and that is all good advice. 

A couple of things he didn't mention was that the first one you should add is on the rear if you only go with one, but he can probably tell you that if you crawl up rocks you will want a front one too.

ARB makes great stuff and I know a lot of people recommend them, but see what is available for the Rover first and then decide.  The ARBs I have looked at for the FJ60, but one thing to keep in mind is that there are air and cable lockers (at least for my app) and air means you need to mount and set up an on board air compressor too.

Good luck,
Winston
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:58:37 PM »
You will be amazed at the difference in the trail capability of your truck with lockers, but there are decisions to be made. I went with lockright lockers front and rear, mainly because i have trails behind my house so hardly no on-road driving, and i still have the original 2f straight 6 with 4:10 gears running 33" tires ( small truck + no monster powerful V8 + middle of the road gears and tires = greater difficulty in breaking stuff)

If you are going to drive on the road manual lockers are the only way to go in my experience.

Just my 2 cents..
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 01:34:29 AM »
Hey English, that's 3 2F's on the board.  You, Ianacole with your 40's and me with my 60. 

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »
Nice, just got mine running again yesterday after a year in the garage...still needs a little tlc before shes back on the road!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 03:12:36 PM »
Except mine's not a 2F ;)
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 02:54:41 AM »
Nice, just got mine running again yesterday after a year in the garage...still needs a little tlc before shes back on the road!

TLC?  Is that pun intended?  Hehe.

Ian, is yours an F or has there been a transplant?  From the way you spoke before about the mileage, I am guessing it's an F.

Ha, reminds me of the lady from the Unpimp Die Auto commercials "You got an F!"

ianacole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.rmsolo.org
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »
Ian, is yours an F or has there been a transplant?  From the way you spoke before about the mileage, I am guessing it's an F.

Ha, reminds me of the lady from the Unpimp Die Auto commercials "You got an F!"

It has a Chevy 350 transplant - not of my own doing and I'd like to kick the person who did it in the teeth ;)  I removed the Holley for an Edelbrock Off-Road 650 CFM carb, and hope to put a TPI system in it at some point.
"The corruption of man is followed by corruption of language." -Emerson

Think you're fast? http://www.rmsolo.org

For the road racer in all of us: http://www.nasarockymountain.com