Author Topic: hot air ballooning is awesome  (Read 834 times)

gragravar

• Supercar
hot air ballooning is awesome
« on: November 11, 2007, 02:11:45 AM »
My adventure for the day was to go hot air ballooning for the first time in my life.  This was a birthday present to my wife and I from my dad.  So we got up really early and drove across town to the launch point.

The old guy in the light blue jacket was our pilot:

The guy in the red jacket piloted the balloon that my dad and his wife rode in:

5 balloons all went up from the launch site this morning.  Here are 3 of the teams getting ready.

Used a huge gas powered fan to fill the balloon with cold air before heating it.

We were the first balloon off the ground

And we actually caught a breeze which died out for the other balloons when they got off the ground

Love this pic of the green balloon over the water:

We flew a total of about 8-10 miles north towards Denver.  We topped out about 2200ft above the ground.

Looking back towards our launch site

We ended up landing in an elementary school lot.  We missed the top of this stop sign by about 6, then dragged along the ground until we crashed into that short 4.5 tall pine tree. 

The pilot estimated our ground speed at about 25mph when we landed.  That made it exciting.  Especially compared to the other 4 balloons for whom the wind had died.   They made it all of about 1 mile from the take off location and were able to land perfectly vertically.  Where is the fun in that.

Anyway I loved it.  Id certainly do it again, and would highly recommend to others.

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: hot air ballooning is awesome
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:52:25 PM »
That's really cool! I see hot air balloons a lot in the morning with my commute. They tend to land at Chatfield so it's neat seeing them with the mountains as the backdrop.

Was it pretty cold riding up in there?

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:52:25 PM »

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 03:25:18 PM »
I have always wanted to do that.  I want to take Betsy up to Steamboat and ride the hot air balloons up there, I hear that is wonderful up there.

Glad you had a good time, your pics have really made me want to go now!!!