Author Topic: Benz defector  (Read 4167 times)

j2w218

• n00balicious
  • Me @ Laguna Seca, yrs ago...
Benz defector
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:14:33 PM »
Hi all.  I have owned many used Mercedes and over the last few years have really wanted to join the VAG family.
Well, I finally convinced my wife to let me get a Passat Wagon 4Motion.  I worked on her for two years, then her father buys a 2001 Audi A8L and we get to borrow it.  She loves it, and now I have my 2001 Passat 4Motion finally!

It needs some TLC.  It is 2001, 92k mi, cracked windshield, crap tires, and an A/C recharge but, for $8k, I thought it was a nice car.
It is blue with black interior.  I picked up a set of tires on Craig's List to get through winter, had the A/C done at a Brakes Plus and the windshield will be done tomorrow.
I'm also having the cam tensioner seals looked at as I smell the burning oil through the Climatronic.

It took too long but, I'm finally here.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
Re: Benz defector
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »
glad to have you aboard! Hope to see at some get-togethers. In fact, there's one on the 18th if your interested.
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:26:33 PM »

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:29:27 PM »
Welcome! We used to have a nice little 1987 190E we loved to death. We'll probably pick up another 190 or 300 come Spring.

j2w218

• n00balicious
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »
glad to have you aboard! Hope to see at some get-togethers. In fact, there's one on the 18th if your interested.

As with anything, I have to check with the wife but, I am pretty sure I'll be cleaning the house for the holidays and relatives that are visiting.  I do want to get together sometime soon but, I also want to get some stuff done on the car first.  I don't want to kill it before I have checked everything out.  Timing belt, etc since it has 92k.  I was told the timing was done, but, I'm not sure I believe it.

j2w218

• n00balicious
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:25:52 PM »
Welcome! We used to have a nice little 1987 190E we loved to death. We'll probably pick up another 190 or 300 come Spring.

I just traded in a 1999 C230 Kompressor for this Passat, and in the past I actually had a 190 2.3 with a manual.  Not that the manuals in a Benz are anything to brag about, like a Jello shifter but, it was rare.  I would love to have one of the rare 2.3-16 which has the Cosworth heads on them.

methodicalmayhem

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
Welcome to the VAG community. Check out Autobahn Premier Service as those two clowns know what they are doing when it comes to these cars and have serviced many of the cars that you will see on this board.
Studded - Vol. 1 - Our first full length DVD: Now Available!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
welcome...make sure to get a new suspension on your passat wagon and make it low like this one, hehe  :D

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:44:49 PM »
Wow an old F2! What do you ride now?

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 12:31:23 AM »
welcome to the board
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

j2w218

• n00balicious
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 08:29:02 PM »
welcome...make sure to get a new suspension on your passat wagon and make it low like this one, hehe  :D

I am scouring the webs for suspension ideas.  Right now, I have a tight budget and do need shocks at least.  I would love an air ride setup like the AllRoad but, without the $$ of repairs.  Suspension is tops on the list, then engine goodies which may be hard since its a V6 but, I plan on helping it breath, and then exhale...

j2w218

• n00balicious
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 08:34:47 PM »
Wow an old F2! What do you ride now?

Sadly, I don't have a current ride.  After the F2, I ended up with a Kawasaki ZX-7 ala 1996 (first year of that body, kinda like my wagon...).  It was red, and I got it brand spankin new.  Then a few months later, I proceeded to lay it down on Laguna Seca, at the bottom of the Corkscrew.  I was leaned over and the track was wet so it was just some plastic damage and the exhaust.  My dad was right there for the pics.  I'll have to dig them up.
After that, I ended up selling the bike because I was about to become a dad.
My father has a few bikes that I borrowed, my fave being his red Ducati Monster 750.
My wife wants to get her license so we may look at getting bikes again in the Spring..?

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 09:33:32 PM »
get bilstein shocks and neuspeed springs.  That is a great way to go.  If not the springs, at least get the bilstein shocks, they have a lifetime warranty and are great on the B5/B5.5 platform.

Cole

• Heavily Modded
    • http://rockcrawler.com
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 10:20:02 PM »
I currently have an 07 R1. My girl has been wanting to learn to ride for the last 8 years so I finally broke down and put her in the MSF class this summer. She loved it! So then I bought her a sweet 87 FZ600 to learn on. (all original plastics and only 7K on the bike. SOOOO Retro.....SOOOO COOL! people actually walk right by my R1 to go check it out)

Cole Ford
Financial Advisor

j2w218

• n00balicious
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 03:10:30 PM »
get bilstein shocks and neuspeed springs.  That is a great way to go.  If not the springs, at least get the bilstein shocks, they have a lifetime warranty and are great on the B5/B5.5 platform.

I am very familiar with Bilstein shocks and those are tops on my list.  As far as springs go, I will check out the Neuspeed ones.  I was also interested in the H&R kits as well.  Not sure I want to go fancy with coil overs yet, most likely just a matched spring shock sport setup.  I have a ways to go until I could get this on the track.  I'm also going to look at air suspension setups, maybe turn it into a mini Allroad?

j2w218

• n00balicious
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »
I currently have an 07 R1. My girl has been wanting to learn to ride for the last 8 years so I finally broke down and put her in the MSF class this summer. She loved it! So then I bought her a sweet 87 FZ600 to learn on. (all original plastics and only 7K on the bike. SOOOO Retro.....SOOOO COOL! people actually walk right by my R1 to go check it out)

I really like the old Yamahas, especially the 600 and the 400.  My dad had a 90 something FZR1000, fun bike.  And even though I ate it at Laguna, he still beat me by catching it on fire!  He got dumped on the brakes coming up to the corkscrew just before the crest.  The bike ghost rode itself almost all the way down the corkscrew and then laid down, on its pipe side.  The 1000, has a fuel pump, and does not use gravity to feed the carbs and since the bike was still on, it was pumping fuel, which spilled out of the carbs, and onto the hot pipe.  FIRE!  The corner workers took their time getting to the bike and putting it out.  They dumped this white powder stuff on it and made it look like a two wheeled roasted marshmallow.

Later we come to find out his bike had been in a minor collision involving the front end.  This caused the triple clamps to bind slightly which caused 'sticktion' of the front forks.  This basically means the triple clamps, the two clamps on the front of a motorcycle that hold the head bearing for steering and the fork tubes themselves, had caused a slight bend in the fork tubes so the front suspension did not have full range of motion.  This in turn translates into the fork bottoming out well before it has reached its full range of motion.  So, when he went to brake, the fork locked up, and transfered ALL of the weight onto the front tire WAAY early, which locked up and tossed him on his head, while going uphill mind you.

I have no plans to attempt to beat that one but, since the apple didn't fall far from the tree, I'm sure I will unintentionally one up him some day...
Just hope it doesn't involve me catching my own a$$ on fire..

j2w218

• n00balicious
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »
Welcome to the VAG community. Check out Autobahn Premier Service as those two clowns know what they are doing when it comes to these cars and have serviced many of the cars that you will see on this board.

I have heard of these guys from another member of the forums who I work with.  I will be taking my ride there for sure.  I do want to do work on the car myself as well but, we'll have to see how the wife deals.  I haven't touched a car since we've been married so I don't know if she is ready for the carnage in the garage... :D