Author Topic: If it's not one thing....T-belt time!  (Read 3586 times)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
If it's not one thing....T-belt time!
« on: November 18, 2007, 05:49:25 AM »
I was politely reminded by the PO that I am due for a t-belt change on my S4, I am still waiting to resolve by broken spring situation so now is a good time to look into getting this done. I may try this myself, but I may need to borrow some tools and maybe some hands and brains.

I am going to research the procedure, I should be getting a t-belt kit from the PO. I was supposed to pick it up last December, but we know how that went for me...stupid infection.

My biggest support issues are that the jack stands I have are really for my Scout, they are huge. I used them on the old B5 and C5 but I had to jack those cars up pretty good. The S4 has some funky jack points and it's hard to get a stand under there with my crappy jack let alone get the car high enough safely.

Hopefully by next weekend I will have the spring thing figured out and know if I can truly tackle the t-belt job myself.

I do need to get the Audi tip top because it appears the Scout is going under the knife again soon and may be down for some time while it gets it's makeover.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
Re: If it's not one thing....T-belt time!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »
Jay, you are welcome to any of my tools, I have 4 jack stands you can borrow, as well as any other tools you might need.  Obviously, if you do this on a week day, I would love to lend a hand.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:07:02 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 04:30:39 PM »
If you feel like driving North a ways, we can tackle it in my shop.  No lift but compressed air, heat, lots of room, lots of light, etc.  Jacks, jackstands and ramps aplenty.

-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »
Jay, I have 4 jack stands and am 1 mile from you.

I am due for a TB in 10K miles, so if you can wait 5,000 more, maybe we can get a group together at my place in January or sometime around then.  It just wouldn't be right unless there was snow on the ground like last time!

The good news is that I can fit three cars in the garage at a time in my new place, so we can stay warm.
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 07:49:09 PM »
I don't know if it is safe for me to wait that long. We are going to be taking the Audi to NM for Christmas so I don't want anything bad to happen then. I should be getting my t-belt kit this weekend though!

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:52:01 PM »
do you need my jack stands and jacks?  4 stands and 3 jacks...they are yours  if you need them.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 08:07:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I will know shortly if I am getting the parts this weekend. I am still researching the how to and it appears I may need some specialty tools.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »
what about calling Randy and seeing what he has to say about tools?

Maybe he has some pointers for a DIY?  I am sure he would be able to give you a quick low down on what you might need.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 08:21:43 PM »
Here is a link to the procedure in PDF format...

UrS4 Timing Belt R&R

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:39:56 PM »
looks pretty straight forward.  Very similar to the 1.8T set up, similar locations for much of the stuff.  The joys of an inline motor v. V6 or V8 ;)

I did not read through the entire procedure, but from the looks of it, should not be too much trouble.

Again, if you do week days, I would be happy to lend a hand and bleed on your car :)

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 09:01:03 PM »
haha, thanks Jon. If I decide to tackle it I will definitely need help, not sure if I can swing a weekday since I would have to burn a day of vacation to do that. We'll see.

As I understand this is less painful than the 1.8T overall, and I guess the crank lock tool can be rented from blau parts. Otherwise it is like $150. I guess I need a special heavy duty wrench too. Hopefully that can be rented.

I really need to see what parts I end up with and if it is everything I think I need. Then I need to determine if this is something that can realistically get done before our trip to New Mexico for Christmas.

This weekend is obviously out, so I have really only two other weekend as a possibility. Or finding a day off during the week.

I really do appreciate you Winston and Joel offering up tools, garage space and mutilated hands. I would love help if it all works out. Since I like to spaz out and completely miss steps.

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:57:01 AM »
No problem.  I am replacing my bad shock this weekend too, and I might as well change the oil on the car and truck on time for once!

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 05:18:34 PM »
If I can help in any way,let me know. 
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »
Thanks Tom!

Eric18T

• Heavily Modded
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 10:36:19 PM »
jay -  i know you really want to tackle it yourself. But sometimes it is easier to just let the shop take care of it instead of wasting a vacation day. Maybe they will also seem something else while it is apart..

90Carat

• Stock
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 02:41:00 AM »
Thanks Tom!

FYI, blauparts has a "tool rental" kit that looks like it has all the specialty tool you need. 

Let me know if you want any help.  I will need to do my t belt in about 6K.
have a 92 S4, and old Porsche, and some Japanese stuff sittin' in the garage.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 01:52:33 PM »

Hey look! It's me!

Winston, I have to do my t-belt in 10K as well. Maybe we should plan a day in April/May? I'll drive down and join you in your driveway again :P I probably still won't have 10K on my car by then, but who knows. Otherwise, I'll just tear into my car in the garage here :D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 02:40:23 AM »
JR, that's fine with me.  I would rather wait until it is warmer and enjoy some nice weather.  We can make it tentative for 2 or 3 weekends and pick the first one with good weather.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »
JR, that's fine with me.  I would rather wait until it is warmer and enjoy some nice weather.  We can make it tentative for 2 or 3 weekends and pick the first one with good weather.

Yeah, I would actually rather do that job with someone rather than solo. I'm probably going to get the lightweight pulley kit and put that on while I'm in there too. I might see about timing and getting another A/C compressor in at the same time. I'm not sure how many miles I'll put on the car this winter yet. But I plan on going back and forth to Bozeman more than a few times for riding :P
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner