Author Topic: Snow tire recommendation  (Read 2955 times)

GotAW8

• Stock
Snow tire recommendation
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »
so my "should i get snow tires?" thread was here: http://www.rmcb5.com/forums/index.php/topic,6518.0.html

now that i'm definitely going to get snow tires i was hoping you guys could give some recommendations.

from looking at tire rack tests/reviews, i'm tossing up between the bridgestone blizzak lm-25's and the dunlop winter sport 3d's.  these are mostly for city driving (not heading up the hill) so definitely want a balance between good traction when we get snow/ice (like this morning) but wet/dry traction is equally important.  both of these tires seem to have a good balance of both (more so than the blizzak revo 1's which sound great in snow but not too hot in wet weather).

hope you guys can give some good feedback on this?  thanks!   :)
Tim
2004 Passat W8 - for the city
2002 Pathfinder 4x4 - for the mountains

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: Snow tire recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »
Well believe it or not, we should have a lot of useful information already in the forums on Snow tires. As for the ones specified in this thread I have not used either.

If you click the Search link in the menu bar at the top it will search all of the forums and should yield some results on those tires. I think that quick search box just searches the thread or something like that.

Also, at the bottom of threads there are Related Topics, sometimes they are not related in anyway and I have no idea why, but most of the time they are relevant and often contain some good info.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 03:49:18 PM »

GotAW8

• Stock
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »
yeah i had done a search and everything is 2+ years old.  perhaps i should have mentioned that in my original post...  i'm one of the ones who will spend an hour searching before i post for fear of asking a question that has been asked 3x this month!
Tim

DenverPat

• Heavily Modded
    • http://www.stonefieldinvestments.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:30:14 PM »
I've had four or five different snow tires on my A4.  Yoks, Blizzak LM-22s, 3Ds and one or two others I can't remember.  The 3Ds are easily my favorite for a comprimise between Denver driving and mountain driving.  I need deep snow capabilities, so I run snow tires.
If you don't plan on going up to the mountains, I wouldn't bother with snow tires.  95% of the time roads in Denver are dry.  Maybe check out the Nokian WR for a good all-season.  I've had good luck with ContiExtremeContacts also.
"Of all the extreme sports I've ever participated in- windsurfing, kite boarding, wake boarding, tow-in surfing and snowboarding- skiing, for me, made everything else easy."
-Chuck Patterson

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »
My favorites are still the dunlop wintersports (3D's)  that said I am now running hankook icebears.  I'd say they have about 90-95% of the performance of the 3Ds at about 1/2 the price.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »
Ok...For what it's worth, i live in Breckenridge and run "Michelin Pilot Sport A/S" on my Allroad year round and have never been stuck yet.
They did well this morning in the 5 inches we got last night!
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

GotAW8

• Stock
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 08:49:51 PM »
Ok...For what it's worth, i live in Breckenridge and run "Michelin Pilot Sport A/S" on my Allroad year round and have never been stuck yet.

i'm not so concerned about getting stuck - more so traction (braking/turning) on ice/slush/snow.  avoidance when someone else does something stupid and it's slippery out.  i know that tires aren't a substitute for smart driving but this morning i did slide around here and there with the current pole positions not even doing anything crazy...  would like my wife to have that little bit of extra safety when she's going to/from work!

you got five inches last night?  :)  still isn't enough, huh?
Tim

English

• Lightly Modded
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »
You are right when you say they are no substitute for smart driving. Unfortunatly it is always very difficult to predict what others are going to do, especially in a tourist town. You can't blame people for looking around i suppose. I only have a 3 or so mile drive to work, uphill on the way in and downhill all the way home. At 6pm driving down Ski Hill road after snow and any day traffic, i have learned to take my time and allow an extra couple of minutes for "non ski town locals" to get around.

The best advice i can give is:
1 Read any reviews and pick what you think is the best tire available for your vehicle.
2 No matter how much safer your vehicle feels, or how much faster it stops, there is always the possibility that the person behind/infront of you is'nt paying attention. I have actually heard people say "it's snowing real heavy now..we'll have to hurry home so we don't get stuck"...crazy eh?..... give them an extra couple of seconds.

Wow...sorry to sound like your Dad but i hope that makes sense.
02 Allroad 2.7T
03 Land Rover Discovery
01 BMW R1150GS

"It's like pie and chips.......for free"

GotAW8

• Stock
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:21:54 PM »
Read any reviews and pick what you think is the best tire available for your vehicle.

that's pretty much what i've done.  both of those tires are highly rated on tire rack and have good reviews.  i suppose neither tire would be a bad decision - was just wondering if any of you guys wanted to help steer me one way or the other.  so far it sounds like 3d's are the way to go.
Tim

ejw24

• n00balicious
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 01:28:44 PM »
My 2 cents....I currently have a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my W8 and with the recent snow/ice here in Aspen the tires have been great.  I've never run snow tires just a good all-season and have never had a traction or handling problem.  The 4motion system is GREAT!!
2003 W8 that's tryin' to go fast again!

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 02:18:12 PM »
I ran good all-seasons for winter on my Passat 4motion with ESP and it was OK.  On the A8, also with ESP I got a set of Michelin X-Ice tiers on spare rims for winter.  You can get by with all-seasons most days but good snow tires are sooooo much better.  I mainly got them for overkill.  I can take the bus to work if it's really really icy.  Deep snow was not a big deal with the all-seasons.  Ice was always my big problem and that is why I chose an ice tire.  Traction in frozen intersections where cars have polished the surface to Zamboni-like perfection are exactly where the accidents seem to happen.  Being able to stop or turn while others are helplessly sliding is great.

I was not interested in studded snows, they work but they annoy me.

I still will take the long bus ride sometimes when I do not care to risk getting rammed by someone who thought their 4x4 SUV was a magic carpet.  I usually do this for the first really bad days when people are at their dumbest and most confident.

Ice tires are usually massively siped and have a good tread compound for the task.  I am curious about Green Diamond tires, I'd like to try them one day.  I do worry about high speed dry road performance though as we have many dry days and these are 'remolded' tires.  I wonder if they handle sustained, um, interstate speeds.  They have Silion Carbide granules molded into the tread, fresh ones getting exposed when the compound wears.  Sounds cool.

Anyway yes you can get by with all-season tires... and you could drive a Camry.
You could get by with a Camry.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

GotAW8

• Stock
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
You can get by with all-seasons most days but good snow tires are sooooo much better.  I mainly got them for overkill.

no camry's here joel!   ;)

exactly: overkill...  better to have them than to need them, right?

actually we just got new blizzaks for the pathfinder and went up to a-basin on friday - wow was i amazed at how well they handled in the packed & fresh snow!  it was almost like driving on dry pavement!

after comparing them to the pole position's that are on there now (supposedly "quite good" in the snow for an all season) i called up discount tire and told them to order me snows.  getting the blizzak ws-60's - they're brand new this season so there isn't too much about them but don't see how a 3rd-gen snow tire can be bad...  getting shipped from bridgestone so won't have them on until next week - when i get them and it snows i'll post a follow-up!

today i was out driving the passat on some of the sloppy streets and it really confirmed my decision as i'm definitely looking forward to the improvement from the snows...
Tim

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »
Great! The nice thing about snows is the are pretty affordable even for really good tires and they last a few seasons depending how much you drive.

So in the end, pretty good investment I have learned. Heck i drove the Passat in this crud this weekend with the snows we got last year and it was effortless. The Passat with all seasons is terrible in the snow.

GotAW8

• Stock
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 10:02:14 PM »
yeah it's almost like "why not"?  especially since my wife's going to be driving it a lot i figure she's best off being as safe as possible.

plus since i'm exchanging the pole positions for the blizzaks i'm actually getting money back!  (of course come spring i'll have to shell out the $600 again but then it will also be a great decision as we'll be getting better dry performance... )
Tim

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 10:19:36 PM »
yeah! There are a few trains of thought. One is you can get a really sweet ass set of all seasons and run year round, or get some nice performance summer tires and a good set of snows for the winter.

I like the second option personally. I used to be all about #1, and cost wise it can make more sense. However, for really enjoying driving, I like option 2. Along with that, having both sets mounted on different wheels means you can change often. Since we get those dry spells here during the winter, you can toss on the Summers for a week or two and when you see a storm is coming it put the winter setup back on.

Of course I am too lazy to do that, but some folks will.

GotAW8

• Stock
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »
i think #2 is better, really...  better to have the best in the summer and the best in the winter, rather than something pretty good for all year round but lacking when it's icy.

our w8 isn't the sport version so it's got the 16" wheels...  thinking that come spring i might keep the snows on the 16s and get a set of 17s for the summers...  i quite like the look of the madras wheel (of the vw range), but i guess if i buy new wheels it opens up so many options, huh?  might bring this up in the spring if there's some extra money burning a hole in my wallet (credit card statement)!
Tim

JDawg

• Lightly Modded
    • http://www.VerTechGroup.com
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 02:54:02 AM »
I think for the money, the 3D's are your best bet.  I had a set on the 05 S4, and now on my 07 M-Coupe.  I also owned a 2003 W8, and ponied up for some Nokkian WR's, and wasn't terribly impressed for the money.  The Dunlopís are much less expensive, and perform better in my opinion.  In Denver, it is dry most of the "snowy" season, so having a great tire for cold dry days and icy snowy ones is critical.  Dunlopís all the way!
esident RMCB5 MFD Expert!
Ask and ye shall receive!
(OEM Navigation system)

1995 BMW M3 - Sold
2003 Passat W8 6 Spd - Sold
2005 Audi S4 6 Spd Alcanterra - Sold
2007 BMW M-Coupe - I'm in love!