Author Topic: VAG-Com Fun  (Read 1848 times)

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
VAG-Com Fun
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:47:53 PM »
So over the past few weeks I've been doing research on my e-code auto leveling issue. It appears that I don't have levelers. I need to confirm if my car came from the factory with HIDs or it they were aftermarket.

In any case, I could not get a reading on any of my HID leveling banks in the Vag. So i Opted to recode saying I had halogens so it wouldn't look for it.

It worked!!! I don't get the "not-leveled" error :) My lights are perfectly level so that was never an issue.

And I also played with the regional headlight settings and coded for Denmark I think so now I have my fogs and interior dash lights always on :) My city lights are burned out so I suspect those would always be on too.

Much better. My dash was always too dark anyway.
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
Re: VAG-Com Fun
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:16:08 PM »
Nice, you should be able to decode the VIN to see if you had HID's. You can also cal AoA and find out.

That's pretty cool that you can recode those lighting options that way.

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:16:08 PM »

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 02:20:53 PM »
Oh god, don't be one of those guys driving around with the fogs on all the time.  That's annoying.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:06:43 PM »
Oh god, don't be one of those guys driving around with the fogs on all the time.  That's annoying.

Its tied to my driving lights. In the US, it's actual low beams. Everywhere else (according to VAG specs) it's fogs and city lights. So in essence, I'm being more cultural and in fact, "euro"

It started with me simply wanting my dash lights on all the time. This was the only way to make it work. The recoding for the dash doesn't give you that option (although it has some fun tweaks too)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 03:09:04 PM »
You're so damned Euro

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 03:36:07 PM »
Want to see more cool stuff?

- Randy
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 03:55:49 PM »
Want to see more cool stuff?

- Randy

:D Cool. I think car makers should be like game designers and add "cheats" so you know, if I put in the right adaptation code, a lady dances on my display every time I turn the car on. That'd be sweet. :)
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 02:24:47 PM »
Well I dunno, I've been to Denmark and did not see people driving around with their fogs on all the time.  I think you are coded for a condition that is not implemented properly by your wiring harness. 

City lights are cool, I have the option in my Saab.  They make a lot of sense in town where you just need to be seen.  But fogs are pretty irritating when it's not foggy, without the fog to dissipate the light they really dazzle oncoming drivers.  It's probably also a good way to attract attention from the cops

The USA fog light setup that requires the low beams be on is kinda dumb, there are times when the Euro option is really helpful.  That's where you can run parking lights and fogs only, great for when it's so foggy the low beams are too much.  However that sort of choice is not offered to the USA drivers.  It's a nice mod though.

As regards dumb drivers, I see now why some cars are forcing the headlamps on when the wipers are activated.  I was just down in Louisiana and it was raining cats and dogs much of the time.  I think 2/3s of the people down there didn't have the sense to put their lights on so they could be seen.  Canada requires DRLs I think, maybe for the same sort of reason.

OK, rant over.
-Joel.
2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »
Keep in mind the "fog lights" we have on the fronts of our Audi's and VW's aren't really fogs. I've found they are more for others to see you than for you to see.

Still, JR, no matter how much ragging we do on fog light drivers, it's gotta be what you like best. You drive the car for you, not for anyone else so it better damn well be set up how you want it,

Hell I drive with my front "fogs" on with my headlights full time at night because my headlights aren't that great already. At least until I do a HID kit. In normal driving conditions my "fogs" do help light up the road a little more in front of the car.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »
This is such a funny thread. I can't remember what country I plugged in as I went from 1 through 5 just for fun. Anyway, it's funny what really pushes people's buttons. We so do not have fogs on our cars. Mine suck in all sorts of weather.

In any case, my sash lights are on full time now which is what I wanted.

You know Joel, you've inspired me. I'm going to pull a rear fog bulb and rock one rear fog all the time. That'd be awesome ;D
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 11:49:39 PM »
Jay, right now your car does not have ANY lights in it, so take that - LOL

See you tomorrow.

Randy :)
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 12:12:13 AM »
My car is blind! I can't wait to drive it again though.

jayryan

• Supercar
    • JayFriesen.com
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 01:43:26 PM »
LOL
'03 A4 1.8TQM
'68 MG C
'06 4Runner