Author Topic: DIY - Fog light install on B5.5  (Read 1946 times)

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
DIY - Fog light install on B5.5
« on: March 01, 2004, 06:11:14 PM »
So I did some wrenching this weekend and I resolved a couple issues with my car thanks to the help of my friend Mark and access to his shop and lift in Steamboat.

I had to install the wires to my front fog lamps (I have the new GL model that does not come with fogs).  Man talk about looking for a needle in a hay stack.  You have remove the drivers side kick plate and access the fuse box, relay box, and all the wiring in the entire wiring harness, to find the one magical wire that runs to the 381 relay and fuse to the euro switch.  You then have to run wire through the fire wall to the magic green/white wire in the harness and solder the two together.  After frequent test with a circuit light I got to put the driverís panels back on.

Next you have to run wire behind the ECU and down the hood latch cable.  Next, find a spot to drop the wire down to the fog lamp mount and do your best to hide it.  Attach the wire to a splitter and run one side to the positive wire in the connecter on the fog lamp and the other needs to be grounded on the frame of the car.  Next connect a second wire to the positive splitter and run to the other side of the car for the other lamp.  Once all the wire is run, an assortment of zip-ties is needed to bundle and hid the wiring in the engine bay.

Now just adjust the beam and you are good to go.

I also fixed the issues I was having wit the rear window.  I pulled to door panel off and located the plastic compression ring that had fallen out of the window regulator.  I then reinstalled the plastic ring and all was good.  As a note the reinstallation of the ring into the regulator and window must be done through a 1 ľ inch hole in the door panel with the window in the down position.  I am now proficient at fine motor skills through small opening and cussing, especially the cussing part.

I also helped Mark turn the front rotors on his BWM 535ei and fix the transfer case mount in the rear of the car.  We decided to bushing was shot, so we took the torch out, melted off all the rubber and welded the piece solid.  We tapped the new piece of steel to take the bolt and re-installed it.  Now the rear end is nice and solid.
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »
SWEET! I did some minor editing to your post so the images would display ;).  Nice work!

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 06:22:10 PM »

ColoradoB5

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 09:17:24 PM »
Dang Randy, looks like you had garage day withdrawals!  keep that wrench hand strong and practice the cussing any chance you get.  :P
You can't rehabilitate a fire ant.

kraut-sled

• Heavily Modded
    • Autobahn Premier Service
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 09:25:35 PM »
No Wife...  No Girl Friend...  Ski Area closes at 4 PM...  You gotta do something :wink:
Autobahn Premier Service
2105 South Kalamath Street
Denver CO 80223
303-935-9065