Author Topic: Looking for new job  (Read 2751 times)

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
Looking for new job
« on: December 10, 2007, 01:32:57 AM »
I am looking for a new job so that I can get out of retail. I already checked monster, Coloradojobs, craigslist, etc. and can't find anything that I think would be a good match.

I am a goal oriented, hard worker, who works best when presented with new tasks to keep me busy. I would prefer to work with my hands. I have worked at Wal*mart for almost a year and a half, which is my first job. I have done cashiering, customer service, and now I'm selling cell phones/working the photo center.

Anyone have any ideas for jobs that I might look at? Maybe any off the map industries I might not have thought of? I would love to work for a company like Nikon, Canon, etc, but they have no openings at the moment.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edit: would prefer something in the $12-$15 an hour range.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 01:34:38 AM by redline »
This is Mike Selander and I approve this message.

jinx

• n00balicious
    • Madrup
Re: Looking for new job
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:54:56 AM »
When you say work with your hands do you mean manual labor type stuff or just like not a desk job? Also where are you located?
Living Life in the Middle Lane...

Rocky Mountain Club B5

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:54:56 AM »

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:00:16 AM »
When you say work with your hands do you mean manual labor type stuff or just like not a desk job? Also where are you located?

I think a desk job would kill me. I want to do something manual labor, but not warehouse kind of work. Something that makes every day new and interesting.

and I live in Elizabeth, but would be willing to go as far as the Denver Tech center.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:40:33 AM »
Mike have you thought about a job with a place like Wolf camera or something like that?

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:44:11 AM »
Mike have you thought about a job with a place like Wolf camera or something like that?

I have, but they don't pay very well and the people there are never very friendly or knowledgeable about cameras. I would love to work at a place like Reed photo that does developing/photo shopping galore, but 42 mi. there is just too much...

jinx

• n00balicious
    • Madrup
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 03:19:30 AM »
Haha, Yeah I swear that in order to work for Wolf you actually need to know nothing about photography. I can't stand to go into that place, it just makes me want to hurt someone.
Living Life in the Middle Lane...

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:42:12 AM »
Haha, Yeah I swear that in order to work for Wolf you actually need to know nothing about photography. I can't stand to go into that place, it just makes me want to hurt someone.

and they will gouge your eyes out on everything.

plus, the idea is to get out of retail.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 01:00:40 AM »
Yeah, but I thought they did repair as well and thought that would allow you to work with your hands.

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 01:06:40 AM »
Yeah, but I thought they did repair as well and thought that would allow you to work with your hands.

From what I understand, they ship everything off.

92UrS4

• Administrator
  • Supercar
    • Rocky Mountain Club B5
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 01:20:02 AM »
ahhh, I didn't know, I've never been there myself.

jfrahm

• Modded
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »
I know some guys who work for the State Dept. of Health and they are often looking for water samplers.  You have to drive around the state wading into creeks but it's gotta be better than working at Wal Mart.  The trouble, as I understand it, is that some samplers do not go to the correct sites, don't take the sample properly, don't take proper care of the sample, etc.  The actual work interferes with their fishing or being asleep :-)  I hear some try faking the sampling so they can fish or drink or sleep more, but the testing will expose that.  They probably would not mind you taking pictures assuming you did not let the samples go bad while waiting for the light.

-Joel.

2001 Audi A8 Quattro 4.2l

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:45 PM »
That sounds awesome! Do they get paid well?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:34:19 AM by redline »

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 02:42:48 AM »
That sounds awesome! Do they get paid well?

I just talked to my wife who used to work in a lab doing EPA water quality testing.  she says the state health dept jobs pay pretty well, but you need to be a state employee to get the job, that means passing all the govt employee tests and for jobs like that they will usually require a biology degree.

as for other jobs, I dont have a lot to suggest as far as things that will get you using your hands and will be exciting and something new every day.  most of the jobs that involve labor will be pretty boring manufacturing line jobs.  maybe something with regard to landscaping or landscape design.  or how about construction or painting jobs.  you might try contacting Swift over on AW.  he owns a painting business and might give you tips on how to find a painting job.

the other suggestion I'd have towards finding a job is to spend as much free time as you can networking.  use tools like linkedin.com to figure out who you know and who they know in order to try to meet the people that can get you a job.  if you want to use linkedin, feel free to send an invite to join my network on there.  (that goes for the rest of you regulars on the board too)

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 04:43:14 AM »
I just talked to my wife who used to work in a lab doing EPA water quality testing.  she says the state health dept jobs pay pretty well, but you need to be a state employee to get the job, that means passing all the govt employee tests and for jobs like that they will usually require a biology degree.

as for other jobs, I dont have a lot to suggest as far as things that will get you using your hands and will be exciting and something new every day.  most of the jobs that involve labor will be pretty boring manufacturing line jobs.  maybe something with regard to landscaping or landscape design.  or how about construction or painting jobs.  you might try contacting Swift over on AW.  he owns a painting business and might give you tips on how to find a painting job.

the other suggestion I'd have towards finding a job is to spend as much free time as you can networking.  use tools like linkedin.com to figure out who you know and who they know in order to try to meet the people that can get you a job.  if you want to use linkedin, feel free to send an invite to join my network on there.  (that goes for the rest of you regulars on the board too)

thanks for the info!

I just created my linkedin page, but don't know your last name.

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 11:53:39 AM »
I'm on linked in as well.

gragravar

• Supercar
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 12:49:48 PM »
redline YGPM with info on adding me in Linked in.

03Indigo - sent you an invite on LI too.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.  ~Albert Einstein

03Indigo

• Global Moderator
  • Supercar
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 02:00:52 PM »
got it :).  Although, I think LI is better for regular business stuff, not so much for the health care field. :(

redline

• Modded
  • Photographer
    • my Flickr
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 06:20:16 PM »
thanks for the invite, requests sent!